StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys just wanting to know where everyone puts there usb charging sockets. Handle bar mount ones aren't to good of an option for me ad I've got a quadlock phone mount and control unit for my heated grips. Thanks

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,454 Posts
Anywhere you can, I guess?

Year and model could help.

If handlebar mounting is out of the question, you do have other options.

One is the Vstrom Auxiliary Shelf offered by AdventureTech LLC (hi Rick!):

Auxiliary Shelves (main page) - AdventureTech, LLC.

I like this one - it provides extra real estate that moves with the handlebars. Room for both a 12V socket and voltage monitor, if you don't already have one. Will not interfere with a Scott's steering stabilizer/handlebar risers/etc.

Also, a 12V socket is very versatile. I use mine to power a portable tire pump, alternately with a 12V USB charger.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
I have a Super Tenere, so this won't be directly applicable, but I made a shelf out of some pieces of sheet steel that were cut out of a 20MM ammo can. The shelf was made to attach the the windshield mount, and sits above the instrument cluster. You might be able to adapt the idea to your bike. The shelf wasn't complicated; I cut it out with a handheld jigsaw and bent the pieces in a vise.

This is the shelf before I installed it:

The USB outlets are Motopower, which I bought on Amazon. I made little brackets for mine because I wanted to be able to screw the USB cable into the plug so it wouldn't vibrate loose (that's what that long threaded knob is for), but the Motopower plugs have mounting holes in them so you can just screw them into a flat surface.

This is the shelf installed on the bike. It bolts into a couple of unused holes on the windshield mount.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Just buy one of these chinese type plug and velcro/tape it to your tank, or an easily accessible part behind your fairing. Problem solved.

There's always the cigarette lighter (if you have one) to usb that is useful. Just need to buy a very short one (like, flush mount) so it won't vibrate out of the socket.

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
I installed this combo USB / Volt Meter on the right side of my cowl. Wired with inline fuse directly to the battery. Has a waterproof flat when not in use. Very happy with both the outlets and the ability to monitor voltage.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0294R5/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01N0294R5&pd_rd_w=vn0mL&pf_rd_p=f0dedbe2-13c8-4136-a746-4398ed93cf0f&pd_rd_wg=EqUM5&pf_rd_r=TE2GJ8YSJD26GP150D4G&pd_rd_r=6092bd5c-03ee-11e9-90c0-f9307a5a46b8

To install the rectangular body in the cowl plastic simply mark off the the cutout with masking tape, heat the tip of a box knife or any razor blade knife with a lighter or propane torch and it slides through the plastic like butter. Piece of cake.

Attachments

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,454 Posts
With that setup, do you have any issues due to the cord running between charger (in the non-moving cowl) to the phone (presumably, mounted on the moving handlebars)?

I had one of the Oxford 12V sockets on my handlebars when I bought my Vee. I've had to repair it once already, and would be open to putting a new socket somewhere else if it breaks again. There's some good real estate available on the '07 style dashboard, although the backside wiring would get in the way a little when I have to do a fuel tank removal (that is, for practically any service more intense than an oil change...).

·
Registered
352 Posts
I do not have any issues with the cord to the phone from the cowl mounted USB outlet. I use a 2" velcro strap to bind the excess cord behind the phone carrier.

I have small side bags on the crash bars and use the second USB outlet to keep my other gear charged in the right side bag while riding. That is the wire in the pic. If I don't need my phone mounted I can charge two devices in the bag. I usually take a Kindle and a USB chargeable LED tac-light on my trips.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got an outlet from 3BR. It's weatherproof with or without a cord plugged in. I used to just use the Battery Tender adapter, but it doesn't support fast charging for my Duraforce Pro.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,454 Posts
I got an outlet from 3BR. It's weatherproof with or without a cord plugged in. I used to just use the Battery Tender adapter, but it doesn't support fast charging for my Duraforce Pro.
Very nice. It's about time someone offered a USB socket that supports Quick Charge!
I love the rubber boot so you can keep a device plugged in despite rain. That's a major shortcoming of every other 12V socket I've ever seen: the "waterproof" ones are only waterproof with the cover on. Which means you can't use it, if water is present. Kinda pointless.

If 3BR offered a similar product with a USB C port as well, I'd buy it in a hot second. My Oxford 12V socket's bracket keeps cracking and I've repaired it with JB Weld twice. It's not going to last forever.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Very nice. It's about time someone offered a USB socket that supports Quick Charge!
I love the rubber boot so you can keep a device plugged in despite rain. That's a major shortcoming of every other 12V socket I've ever seen: the "waterproof" ones are only waterproof with the cover on. Which means you can't use it, if water is present. Kinda pointless.

If 3BR offered a similar product with a USB C port as well, I'd buy it in a hot second. My Oxford 12V socket's bracket keeps cracking and I've repaired it with JB Weld twice. It's not going to last forever.
It might be worth an email. I had several emails back and forth with Don at 3BR when I was trying to figure out what I needed. He may have a solution for you. His customer service is definitely above and beyond my expectations. I think it's pretty cool that he tests the micro USB cables he builds on a bench and then plugs them in to his phone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
691 Posts
I put mine here using the Heated grips source and running the power first through a voltmeter.
Do you find that location to be in the way or out in the wind? How readable is your volt meter in that location? That's clearly the easiest spot on Gen 1s, I have just held back a bit do to the angle seeming awkward.

·
Super Moderator
5,134 Posts
Do you find that location to be in the way or out in the wind? How readable is your volt meter in that location? That's clearly the easiest spot on Gen 1s, I have just held back a bit do to the angle seeming awkward.
It did not occur to me until later that the voltmeter is covered by the handlebar and brake making it impossible to read while seated normally. I spaced meter and socket out to avoid the warning sticker, which you may not have.

Was I to do it again I would consider locating to the two white circles, or more likely simply reverse the existing positions. Otherwise both work well, albeit the voltmeter is obscured and you need to lean forward to read it on the move.

The meter I chose is easily readable in sunlight, unlike the voltmeter/USB combo that I fitted to my Versys-X 300. https://www.ebay.com/itm/MICTUNING-Dual-USB-Charger-Voltmeter-Rocker-Push-Switch-Marine-Boat-Blue-LED-12V-/112362020352
I would not recommend that particular model.

Attachments

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,454 Posts
I emailed 3BR, we'll see what they say.

My phone (Moto x4) does not support Qualcomm Quick Charge so the 3BR TAPP socket will not allow quick charging as it is.

The phone uses a USB C connector. Motorola has its own scheme for delivering 15W through a USB A port, through a USB A to C cable, dubbed TurboPower. However TurboPower is only supported by a handful or Motorola wall chargers and exactly zero power sports USB sockets.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts