StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any suggestions for flush mounting the Burns Moto Weatherproof USB Port to Rick's Auxiliary Shelf?

I'm trying to put together a configuration with two power ports and one ambient thermometer. Unfortunately the thermometer I'm looking at is too large to put above the key and so are the 12V outlets. So I'm wondering about putting the USB port up there instead to charge my iPhone and then have one 12V outlet for something else when needed.

I figured I'd consult the experts for some advise.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Does anybody have any suggestions for flush mounting the Burns Moto Weatherproof USB Port to Rick's Auxiliary Shelf?

I'm trying to put together a configuration with two power ports and one ambient thermometer. Unfortunately the thermometer I'm looking at is too large to put above the key and so are the 12V outlets. So I'm wondering about putting the USB port up there instead to charge my iPhone and then have one 12V outlet for something else when needed.

Not an expert by any means but if I was in your position I would contact Rick and see if he can cut a hole to allow you to mount the USB port (without the bracket that comes with it). Looks to be pretty easy to do, in fact if you are handy with nibblers you could cut the hole yourself.

I think I am going to pick one of these USB ports up for my bike. They get a fairly good review from Web Bike World and they aren't too expensive for what you get.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hole for the port

I will surely have Rick mill the square hole for the USB port to pass through. My concern is that the mount that comes with the USB port is meant to mount the port in the same plane with the surface on which it is being attached. I want it to be normal to the plane made by the aux panel. I hope that was clear.

But thanks very much for your input.

·
Registered
242 Posts

Why dont you just get an adapter for a USB port to insert in a 12 volt plug? They are easily available and keeps your plug more versatile.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why dont you just get an adapter for a USB port to insert in a 12 volt plug? They are easily available and keeps your plug more versatile.
Well I'm thinking that I'd like to have my iPhone charging and something else at the same time (GPS, HAM radio, electric vest?). I'd prefer to not have to worry about swapping out devices to get them all charged. Also, the USB port has a weatherproof seal in case it is raining.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I will surely have Rick mill the square hole for the USB port to pass through. My concern is that the mount that comes with the USB port is meant to mount the port in the same plane with the surface on which it is being attached. I want it to be normal to the plane made by the aux panel. I hope that was clear.

But thanks very much for your input.
Will it stay dry in the rain that way?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will it stay dry in the rain that way?
When nothing's plugged in there is a cover that keeps the water out. When something's plugged in there's a little rubber cover that you put over the USB cable and the USB port. The port won't be completely flush on the plate so water shouldn't just drain straight into the port. I think this should all work. When I'm confident of the dimensions I'll order the plate, ports, etc. and will post pictures of the install.

·
Registered
51 Posts
These things are $7 at Princess Auto. For my fellow Americans, Princess Auto is a Canadian chain that's a cross between Harbor Freight, Tractor Supply, and Ollies. I spent some time in Edmonton earlier this month, happened into Princess Auto, and spent a couple of hours browsing. I also bought 4 of these adapters. I hope they work.

·
Registered
105 Posts

cmumford, I had LITERALLY the same problem. Fortunately for you, you want to keep it flush with the shelf. I started off thinking I could mount it up and down, but since the bezel isn't really the same around, it'd be tough.

At first, I simply used double-sided tape and just ran the wiring in the gap between the shelf and the the bars.

It became kind of annoying, so I just ended up drilling a hole in the fairing, routed the wires through the hole and still used the double-sided tape to mount it.

I'll try and post a picture soon...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts