StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's several of the medical "dog tag" style USB thingy's, to put all your medical info on. Any of you sharp computer types, ever use one or know anything about them??
I can see where they can save your life 'cause everything about you is right there in that little USB thing. Just wondering which one is the best, easy to use and can handle sweat. Any suggestions for a non-computer type like me.
Thanks

·
Registered
217 Posts
I wouldn't rely solely on that if you have a condition the paramedics need to know about.

The paramedic's goal is to get you stable and to the hospital ASAP. They are not going to take the time to plug in a USB and review your history. Heck, they probably don't even have the capabilities to do that.

If you are a diabetic or allergic to something common, like penicillin, you need to wear a necklace or something with this information.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you get my age, there's always something going on that if EMT's didn't know about could cause serious problems or worse. The more info they have the better they can treat you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's helpful to put your healthcare info on a laminated card and have it in your wallet with your ID. Other than bracelet/necklace, that's where we look next in a a mvc. In the home we go to the refrigerator. Hopefully a list of meds on it or inside. They have RX vials that are red and hold your list of current meds and more importantly your allergies to meds.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
There's several of the medical "dog tag" style USB thingy's, to put all your medical info on. Any of you sharp computer types, ever use one or know anything about them??
I can see where they can save your life 'cause everything about you is right there in that little USB thing. Just wondering which one is the best, easy to use and can handle sweat. Any suggestions for a non-computer type like me.
Thanks
Save your money. The paramedics don't carry a laptop with them to read your usb key.
A medicalert bracelet or a laminated card around your neck or in your wallet is the second best way to go, with not crashing being the best.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I prefer the USB route for things like photo copies of important documents like passport, license, credit card, etc. Like mentioned befer EMTs are not going to be looking for or able to check a USB. Something in your wallet or around your neck is the best bet.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
USB Drive

Last summer on the way home to eastern Canada from Alaska I had to stop at a hospital in Alberta for a very bad chest cold (borderline pneumonia); too many weeks of slightly above freezing temps and constant rain. The nurse in the emerg dept found my USB drive with my info very useful and said she wished more people would do that. I agree that in a ditch on the side of the road they may not be much use but they do have their place and are very easy to carry.

Bill

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'd recommend a plain tag with your primary medical alert info such as diabetic or epilepsy. USB drives are Ok for additional information once you get to the hospital. But there is a possibility that they can't or won't read it. Many USB drives come straight from the (Chinese) factory with viruses. All military and many vital service centers such as hospitals have banned the use of USB thumb drives. They will not stick your medical alert USB drive into their computer. If you decide to use a USB drive put your information into a plain text file. There is no need to download any software.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The last time I was in a "meat wagon" (April 2008) the EMT's had a computer that gave the hospital ER dr's a running check of my vitals, while one EMT was working on me, the other was sending the info to the hospital. About 35 minutes later, I got to the hospital, they had my proplem figured out. I had a reaction to a change in Rx meds. I was so far up in the mountains of TN. there was no cell service for several miles. In my opinion those EMT's really knew their stuff.
I assume from your replies, that none of you use the medial USB dog tag and all you guys carry some paper work around with all your medical info on it. In 2012, do you plug in a USB or re-type or read everything from a piece of paper, seems like a no brainer to me. I figured all you young fellows were way ahead of me when it comes to computer stuff. I'll soon be 70, there's no way I could carry a life time of important medical history written on paper. Them dang young-uns! Just kidding fellows, don't get you testosterone in a uproar

·
Registered
664 Posts
Not to seem like a total shill, but I wear one of the wristbands from www.roadid.com

It's got my fatal allergies, blood type, M.D.'s #, emergency contact #s, hometown, and in talking to a few dr's I'm friends with, they said they would spot it sooner than a wallet card... I tried a regular medic-alert bracelet but it only mentioned one thing, and was uncomfortable.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks fellows but I guess I'm not wording this right or something, as everyone keeps talking about medical alert ID's. I don't need a medical alert "anything" since I don't have any medical issues that are life threating. I'm asking if anyone has used a "USB Medical info Dog Tag", (google it) if so how did it work for you, was it easy to fill in, was the software easy to use, that sort of thing??
My reason is, if I crash my bike, cage or fall out of a tree, there's many, many things the EMT's & Dr's need to know that will aid them in helping me. It's that medical info that goes on the USB thumb drive / dog tag software. Such as, insurance info, next of kin, DNR, my daily meds, meds that will send me to la-la land, pain killers I can & can't take, antibiotics I can & can't take, any and all info that will help them in treating me. I can't wear a medical alert "anything" 'cause there's nothing to alert about. At almost 70 yo, I would have to carry a file cabinet around to hold all my medical info. So far it's been a great ride!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Take a closer look at the RoadID site. It looks like they have an interactive version where your entire profile can be accessed by phone or internet. Sounds like what you're asking about.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
I put "Blood Type O Positive, No Allergies" on the back of my helmet. It should probably be in the front....

·
Registered
702 Posts
finishsafe.com

I carry a small plastic card from a free web service call FinishSafe that I found on the internet some months ago. I has a picture of me and a toll free number for anyone to call that finds me laying in a ditch somewhere. I found it on a web site relating to riding bicycles, but I carry the thing everywhere when I'm riding. The service allows you to customize the information that is available to who ever calls about you. I have included all medications and vitamins that I am taking as well as any medical information that I can think of.

These plastic credit card like cards are free for the first set and include two key tags, two shoe tags, and a wallet card. I have one on my key chain for my Wee and one permanently attached to my bicycle. I also carry one in my wallet and have one on my bicycling shoe laces.

When you set up your account, you are offered the opportunity to provide a current picture to have printed on the card so who ever is sorting bodies can identify you.

All this good stuff for free is pretty cool in my book. :beatnik:

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you engraved the USB with your information, allergies etc and a ICE contact, then the USB would just be an extra bonus...but the USB will be useless on the side of the road if you don't have your other information on it.

Downside would be, if you keep all that information like passport etc, what if someone steals it, or you lose it one day? Do you really want that info given out?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts