StromTrooper banner

USB charge port not charging

2839 28
I plugged my iPhone into the port next to instrument panel with engine running and the charge arrow on the phone didn't light up. I revved it a bit and it still wouldn't charge. The cable I'm using is good. Is there a trick to using the charge port? This was my first time trying it out.

Thanks
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
665 Posts
Check your cable and the 12-volt adapter. Plug it into your car and see if it works there.

I bought a brand new 12-volt adapter to plug in my phone onto the OEM 12-volt socket. Didn't work. Turns out the adapter's electrical pins were not making a good contact with the OEM 12-volt socket. I replaced the adapter with one that has longer electrical prongs. All good now.

· Registered
329 Posts
Check your cable and the 12-volt adapter. Plug it into your car and see if it works there.

I bought a brand new 12-volt adapter to plug in my phone onto the OEM 12-volt socket. Didn't work. Turns out the adapter's electrical pins were not making a good contact with the OEM 12-volt socket. I replaced the adapter with one that has longer electrical prongs. All good now.
The 1050 does not have a 12-volt socket on the dash - it's a USB port.

I'd check the cable as well. And flip the connector over in the phone socket. I've had a cable that works on one side but not the other.

· Registered
2008 DL650
18 Posts
Same thing happens to me all the time and an different vehicles. The same cord that worked on the PC won't work in the car or truck. I am usually a cheapskate, but have found that purchasing more expensive USB cables has been a big help with this. Glad you found the problem!

· Registered
2004 DL1000
151 Posts
The cable that only worked on the pc probably has a lighter gauge wire in it. You can check if the phone actually charges on the pc or is just recognized by the OS, data wires are seperate from power.
These days I only buy fast-charge cables, never have an issue.

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
USB port not working again. Worked before on a brand new Belkin cable. Tested cable on 4 other devices/computers and iPhone 11 charges fine. Checked fuse #4 (USB, speedo, horn, signals etc) and it's good. It's still under warranty so I can call dealer but am curious for opinions.

Thanks!

· Registered
1,672 Posts
Loose/disconnected pigtail behind dash panel? Could also be a defective usb outlet.

Reactions: SKM348

· Registered
6,152 Posts
Have you tried anything but your phone in the port ?

iPhone's can be very fussy, if they think something in the system was not built by them they will not work.

It is a constant battle with my brides phone, it will work most times but not others.

· Registered
1,698 Posts
For chasing down any USB-related issue, get a USB tester. Something like this:

Lacking that, you can also use your multimeter for testing whether there's 5V present on the outer USB pins. (Be careful that you don't touch the other side of the connector with your probes, or you'll short out those pins.)

I doubt whether the dealer can really add to this. They'll probably plug in a different USB device (maybe an Android - they're not that fussy about cables), and when it charges pronounce it good.

· Registered
339 Posts
Try plugging in anything other than an IPhone and see if it charges. I doubt it would be a fault of the USB on a brand new bike. Could the connector socket to the IPhone be damaged?
Also ensure you push the plug right in to the IPhone socket..

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Try plugging in anything other than an IPhone and see if it charges. I doubt it would be a fault of the USB on a brand new bike. Could the connector socket to the IPhone be damaged?
Also ensure you push the plug right in to the IPhone socket..
Thanks. per above my phone worked a few weeks ago so I don't believe it's an iPhone issue.. My phone charges fine everywhere else and my cord works fine everywhere else. Will try a droid if I can fine one and will try what Motorpsycholgy suggested. The USB 'slot' on the bike is not a very snug design as compared to a port on a computer or lamp etc.

· Administrator
15,260 Posts
Fwiw I recently went on a 11,000 km ride on my DL1050. One morning I got up and realized I forgot to charge my Android phone overnight. I plugged the cable into the usb port and left the phone in my tank bag. It had no issue charging while riding. At the time my bike was a year old with about 50,000 km/ 30,000 miles.

There has been a few times that I charged something while riding and never had an issue with the port not delivering power properly.

..Tom

1 - 20 of 29 Posts