StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Powerlet 12v socket on my V-Strom 650, and bought the cigarette adapter/cable. My GPS unit, a Magellan eXplorist 210 has a power cable but it uses USB (presumably from a computer) for power, not a cigarette plug or even A/C. My iPod Shuffle even uses USB for power/recharging.

What I'm looking for is a power splitter or adapter that has a male cigarette plug on one end and a female cigarette socket and USB port on the other. Has anyone seen anything like this?

Or, at the very least, a single adapter with a male cigarette plug on one end and a USB port on the other. I've Googled it but everything I find seems to be from Europe or available on eBay. I prefer to buy new from American companies if possible.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If you look at the cigarette power cord for the Magellan eXplorist, it has a male 1/8" (or similar) end on it. The multi-cord that comes with the GPS has USB and some weird female jacks on one end and the other is a proprietary jack that attaches to the GPS itself. The end of the power cord and the multi-cord that came with the GPS are not the same/compatible. Or at least they aren't in the picture.

What's weird is the link you posted has a description of the power cord as being compatible with the 210 (my model) but the very same product listed at Magellan's site says it's only compatible with the 400, 500 and 600 series. Magellan's site doesn't seem to mention a power adapter for the 210 at all.

I'm confused, and without actually seeing the product in person to verify that it connects to the 210's multi-cord, I'm tending to believe the product description on the Magellan site.

·
Administrator
16,590 Posts
Do the Powerlet's come ready "as is", for cigarette style connectors? I see that there is also a BMW style connector or powerlet socket, but not sure if that is an adaptor, or the powerlet itself. I was on Amotostuff.com this morning, and was looking at the model for the Strom. I saw "lots" of accessories available as well. I tried calling them twice to ask a few questions, but couldn't get through to them. Can ya'll help me?

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
At Office Max in Minneapolis I found an FM modulator that plugs into a 12v outlet, and accepts a USB cord. It's advertised as being for a Sansa/SanDisk .mp3 player, just not my model. Works well for me regardless.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have the powerlet 12v Auto adapter as well. I use a Belkin car iPod charger. Although its branded for iPod's it will chare anything that uses USB power to charge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts