StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
vstroms.com Rentals
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Northwest Motorcycle Adventures will have for a very limited time only 5 Suzuki DL650 set up for touring In Los Angles California ,available May 21 thru June 1st this will be offered at a special Rate of Just $101 a day fly into LAX we will pick you up. Drive your rented Vstrom up the famous highway called U.S.Route 101 this road is 2,500 km long and is a Great Ride from Los Angles to Washington State and return back to Portland Oregon. Very rare to find a one way rental up the Coast with no drop off fee return fee etc.
Shop for your plane ticket then give us a call.
There are various airlines with deals from Portland Oregon back to
Los Angles. Southwest Airlines,Alaska, Virgin
if your are interested email
[email protected] vstroms.com
or
call
Doug @
360-747-7368 (rent)
price does not include $15 a day insurance

·
Registered
221 Posts
Good offer, but US is one country I don't want to visit, due to the paranoia and all this police state mentality over there. Want to get finger printed, anally probed, full body scanned and if you never wrote anything bad about US in any online forum, welcome. The rest of you, prepare to be on the next plane back to where you came from. And with so many beautiful places here in AUS, why spend the money? If I wanted to go overseas and had the money to travel, I'd rather send my bike to Europe and ride around over there. Would avoid UK though, they are a surveillance society just like US. And no, I am not a conspiracy theorist, just stating the facts about these countries..

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Good offer, but US is one country I don't want to visit, due to the paranoia and all this police state mentality over there. Want to get finger printed, anally probed, full body scanned and if you never wrote anything bad about US in any online forum, welcome.
What a load of absolute bollocks and something that could only have been written by a person who has never been there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I personally when i get the chance cant wait to get over to the states , i followed Mike Hyde (twisting throttle) on his Blog travelling through all of the states on his dl1000 what fantastic scenery every state a little bit different.
In a few years when the kids are older i will be there.

Cheers Paul.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Good offer, but US is one country I don't want to visit, due to the paranoia and all this police state mentality over there. Want to get finger printed, anally probed, full body ......blag blah
I agree with K1W1. Oh and keep that stuff on your side of Aus man,..

·
Registered
926 Posts
The more I learn about America the more I like it. I am actually starting to think I should retire over there (in twenty years), or maybe Canada.

Much as I hate to say it, Australia is heading in a direction I don't want to take.

I'm only 38 years old but already I have found fundamental changes to the way we live in this country since I was a child. Everything pissed away by apathetic or incompetant leaders.

End rant :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Touring North America.

Touring the North American continent would be a fantastic trip of a lifetime and one sadly for me, is one I will never make. So much to see, extraordinary scenery so different to Oz. Lakes and mountains on massive scale, the list is almost endless. Not to mention, so many great cities to experience, such a great history of a country whose modern beginings are not that older than here. The friendliness of the American people to Ozzies is well documented. And then there is Canada....just great.
Do it people, do it.........but read up first to get the most out of the experience.
The offer reads to be a good deal too!

Saturn 5

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Thanks vstroms.com, for your offer.
I can assure you and your fellow countrymen that the opinion of slabbie is not, and is far from, the general feeling of us Auzzies. All the stories of trips and tours of your fair land only encourage me to take the plunge one day :thumbup:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Good offer, but US is one country I don't want to visit, due to the paranoia and all this police state mentality over there. Want to get finger printed, anally probed, full body scanned and if you never wrote anything bad about US in any online forum, welcome. The rest of you, prepare to be on the next plane back to where you came from. And with so many beautiful places here in AUS, why spend the money? If I wanted to go overseas and had the money to travel, I'd rather send my bike to Europe and ride around over there. Would avoid UK though, they are a surveillance society just like US. And no, I am not a conspiracy theorist, just stating the facts about these countries..

What a load of crap! I drove from one side to the other and the US is absolutely amazing and the people are nothing short of pretty much the friendliest anywhere.
Did the #1 from Monterey to LA, what a road.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Touring North America.

Slabbie....... Any comment anyone makes on any subject should at least be made with some knowledge on the subject, otherwise one tends to embarras ones' self. Oh and according to your own comments, you could now get ya self a free flight home, so you need only pay for your ticket over!! A doubly good deal I should think.

Saturn 5

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Yes finger printed, full body scan and paranoia at customs and boarder control is to be expected when visiting USA.

Police State Mentality does exist in some parts of the States ( i experienced it) but also happens here - ask any victorian about speed camera in that state.

But this is the point of exploring another country, whether it be Russia, Tibet, Africa or the USA - you appreciate the natural and man-made scenery, try to learn its history and have appreciation of other cultures, whether you agree with it or not.

Or just try riding on the wrong side of the road and experienced the frightening LA 12 lane highway in peak hours... is an experience to remember surely :fineprint:

As to retire in America - no thanks! Canada- maybe! :mrgreen: but this is not a topic about Americans vs Canadians:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
924 Posts
Slabbie you're entitled to your opinion, but below is something I posted on another VStrom forum in their Gulf Coast (US) section some time ago.

My son and I spent some time travelling around the southern states many years ago and this is something of my recollections of part of the trip. I know the world has become a harder place and things may have changed some, but I'll always remember this particular trip for the lovely people we met, the boundless hospitality shown to us, and the immense pride of the people of the southern states in their homeland.

My favourite part of the US.
I spent some months there a lot of years ago. Arrived in New Orleans just after Christmas and stayed at the Golden Peacock Motel on Veterans Boulevard in Metairie for a day or two but a freezing cold snap had hit the city so I headed off out through Biloxi then into Mississippi (stayed in Mound Bayou for a while) Alabama, where the swimming pool at the motel in Birmingham was frozen with a partially submerged pool chair stuck fast in it, ran into an old pecan farmer who could crack two pecans with one hand and was about 85 years old and wore a huge side arm, up to Tennessee (Pigeon Forge with its great outlet shopping and of course Dollyworld , Knoxville (is this where the science centre is?), Nashville, walked the famous streets and went to the Grand Old Opry, just for a look, there wasn't a performance on, Memphis and West Memphis, oh yeah, did the Graceland thing with other worshippers of The King, stayed for a week in Lawrenceburg with its Amish community, the historic and deeply moving Civil War town of Vicksburg and its beautiful ante bellum mansions which bely the horror of the siege, lived on poboys and catfish and the house wine of the South, iced tea, into Arkansas before coming back into Louisiana, had to detour to Baton Rouge for my Janis Joplin fix, then two days in the swamps, spooky but exciting visiting the swamp communities, and finally back down the causeway to Lake Ponchartrain and "Noo Orlins". Back to the Golden Peacock (I still haven't worked out whether the receptionist was male or female, but he/she always had a big smile, a plate of donuts and a fresh coffee whatever time of day or night I wandered in) and a fantastic last ten days in the most wonderful city (long before Katrina of course) I have ever visited. Does Pat O'Brien still do his Hurricanes? The street cars on St Charles Avenue, the voodoo shops on Canal Street. The above ground cemetery. The music!!!
So many incredible memories. The old fellow on the sidewalk in Mound Bayou who said no need to lock your car, son ,nobody ever steals anything here. I took him at his word and left the windows rolled down and went for lunch and some exploring, returning two hours later. He was still there and so were all my belongings, clothes, passport, car keys etc.... The beautiful little Baptist church in rural Mississippi where I stopped at the sound of amazing singing. I entered the back of the church, unobtrusively I thought, and everything went quiet. A stately old gentleman approached and asked quietly if I'd mind leaving because the sight of a white face was causing apprehension among the congregation. (The one and only time I've ever been kicked out of church!). I went outside and listened to the glorious singing in the shade of a tree and after the service the old fellow approached and thanked me for my understanding. I thanked him for his courtesy and apologised for causing concern.... Being pulled over by the highway patrol outside Chattanooga and then being let off with a warning because the officer's father had spent time as a GI in Brisbane where I live during the Second World War....The stately home of a Scottish timberman in Vicksburg that had been used as a hospital during the Siege of Vicksburg and still had a cannonball lodged in the wall above the duty nurse's desk... And the all-pervading sense of pride that still existed in the South with their stirring flag flying proudly from many a government building.
As an Aussie, I have to say that I was made to feel welcome everywhere I went and never once felt nervous about my safety. I wonder if it would be the same today. I'd like to think it would.
My wife is currently visiting friends in Orlando and Fort Lauderdale (and Sedona Arizona and Concord Mass.) so we still have a connection there.
Thanks for letting me reminisce. It was the best time of my life in a truly absorbing and wonderful part of the world.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Yes finger printed, full body scan and paranoia at customs and boarder control is to be expected when visiting USA.
No it most definitely is NOT to be expected when visiting the USA. Sure you need to do finger prints at the arrival hall but full body scans and paranoia are far from regular occurrences. I have been scanned for bomb residue far, far more often in Australian domestic airports than in any US airports.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hwy 1 is freaking awesome did it all the way
I thought I was going to hate the states and was going to rush it to get to Mexico but the place is amazing, the natural beauty is astounding, I'm heading back in 3 months (to head to Burning Man )'( and I would love to move there!
Great offer but I have a free bike on offer from some great folks I met there

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
No it most definitely is NOT to be expected when visiting the USA. Sure you need to do finger prints at the arrival hall but full body scans and paranoia are far from regular occurrences. I have been scanned for bomb residue far, far more often in Australian domestic airports than in any US airports.
Not sure what your flight and border control experiences over there, but body scans out of LAX are compulsory as well as out of JFK when we were there last May. - that's for each and every passenger, not random like explosive residue test here. Delays at the airport is just horrendous!

My wife was grilled at length about our holiday plans in the US - she is apparently at risk of overstaying her visa because she had previously spent 1.5year doing her master in the USA and left to . Hello- if she didnt overstay her student visa - why would she do it now...:confused:

She was grilled by a custom official if we were in fact married, why she didnt change her family name to mine - that just about had her losing it - i had to calm her down so we can get on with our holiday plans.

That said - i had to say people in washington DC and all parts of alaska are especially nice. Had a good chat with a trooper @ Juneau about americans obsessions with guns to get a local perspective.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'd love to do it!

23 years ago Lida and I spent a year in the states and Mexico on bicycles. Fantastic. Wonderful people, spectacular country, astounding scenery. To spend time there now, on a fully prepared DL 650, sounds like the holiday to beat all. Highway 1 is indeed something special. Rod

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Not sure what your flight and border control experiences over there, but body scans out of LAX are compulsory as well as out of JFK when we were there last May. - that's for each and every passenger, not random like explosive residue test here. Delays at the airport is just horrendous!
Flew out of SF in Sept 2011 direct to Auckland with the family and not a body scanner to be seen. The whole queue for departure thing took half the time it did to get out of Melbourne and the officials were terrific.
Getting into SF two weeks earlier was again painless and simple.

·
Registered
221 Posts
K1w1, you are right, I have never visited USA and I never will. I did think about it before 2001, but these days no way. I have my opinions gathered from people I know and trust who have been there and have been exposed to these attitudes from US law enforcements, including but not limited to, a neighbour, female in her late 60's, who went to visit her son who's married to an American. She was interrogated and missed her flight after an intimidating session with airport security, who later admitted she should never have been on a list of suspects. An ex-colleague was searched and body scanned despite being married to a US citizen when they were visiting her US family. There's the case of US airport security who searched a 4 year old girl accused of giving a gun to her grandmother, Weeping four-year-old girl accused of carrying a GUN by TSA officers after she hugged her grandmother while passing through security | Mail Online I will never visit USA, and I will also never visit UK, with their new rules to combat 'terrorism' https://www.privacyinternational.org/media-articles/met-police-to-extract-suspects-mobile-phone-data and Police to get mobile fingerprint scanners amid plans to hold random identity checks | Mail Online I am aware that information gathered on the internet can not be verified to be 100% accurate, but this is my opinion and I am entitled to it. If AUS, as I suspect, will follow these countries, then there is nothing I can do, except sell up and migrate to a country with less of a big brother attitude where ever that might be. You might have had pleasant experiences visiting the US, just like previous generations of people have had pleasant experiences visiting Iran, Iraq, the 'Stans' etc, but the world is changing, and in my opinion, not for the better.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sorry Slabbie, I have to disagree with you. I have been to the States about six times and have never experienced any problems of any kind. The last time was last year for a couple of months driving around. No problems getting in, travelling around or leaving. I am sure for every negative you come up with for other parts of the world you could also find plently on oz - (although I would not like to live any where else).
One thing is for certain you do truly appreciate home when you have been experienced overseas (not just the U.S)

GT

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
.............There's the case of US airport security who searched a 4 year old girl accused of giving a gun to her grandmother, Weeping four-year-old girl accused of carrying a GUN by TSA officers after she hugged her grandmother while passing through security | Mail Online I will never visit USA, and I will also never visit UK, with their new rules to combat 'terrorism' .....
Slabbie- these incidences are annoying and shows the world that in the so call war against terrorism, people have truely lost the plot. A lesson on how to alienate your own citizens perhaps.

Still my conclusions are the same - yes when you visit other countries, you are bound to find things which are incomprehensible to you - be it africa or USA, but it also give you an appreciation of the different culture and sceneries. Given the high Aussie dollars - now is the time to visit.

Having said that, i thought i recount an incident we encountered last year in Alaska which makes me feel the "4 year girl carrying gun" type story is not as isolated as you think.

17 May 2011:

We travel south from the town of North Pole on Richardson Hwy. Having learnt that there was an Air Force Base (Eielson AFB 40kms SE of Fairbank) along the way, i suggested to my wife that we stop somewhere to see if i could spot an F16 or F15 taking off or landing.

The plan was to get as close to the AFB as we are allowed and do some spotting.

We followed the general signage until we see the gates. At which point we pulled out to the right to what appear to be an abandoned petrol station, and when safe to so, I did a u turn on our RV to park across the road to what appear to be a public car park. I was looking for a space on the right to park when my wife shouted to me: "Stop".

"But hon, i want to park over there", still looking to my right.
"Stop, there is woman with a gun" - i looked to the left, a woman dressed in security uniform with a gun drawn and hand gesture telling me to stop.

I rolled my window down. "sir, Are you aware that you are entering a federal facility" - federal facility, a term has little meaning to a non US person. I looked a little dumb founded. "why did you move the barricades..."

"what barricades? all i did was stopped and did a U turn" I said.

"You need to come with me immediately and your wife is to remain in the vehicle...."

1 - 20 of 30 Posts