StromTrooper banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
I have had mine off without issue. The main engine support is not associated with the crash bars. In the picture below the main engine support is the open hole in the center, if I am not mistaken, It is a through bolt from side to side. It is removed in this picture as the bike had sliders installed which had to be removed for crash bar installation. I did not have the original bolt and was waiting for a replacement.
The 8 bolts hold the piece on each side that the bolt goes through.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Having the crash bar bolts out does not leave the engine unsupported.

There's another long bolt though the frame that also supports the engine. It's not visible in the photo above.

I'll be working on my Vee today. Maybe I can get some photos that illustrate all this. Parts diagrams don't tell the whole story.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Having the crash bar bolts out does not leave the engine unsupported.

There's another long bolt though the frame that also supports the engine. It's not visible in the photo above.

I'll be working on my Vee today. Maybe I can get some photos that illustrate all this. Parts diagrams don't tell the whole story.
Well the heed instructions specifically say not to remove the bolts from both sides and the same time or you will leave the engine unsupported.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The 8 bolts hold the piece on each side that the bolt goes through.
You are correct. I stand corrected.
I have removed mine a few times and had no ill effects. I did not ride without them. It would be easy enough to replace 2 bolts on each side when removing the bars. Still does not change my thought that its easier to remove them than work around them.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The rear engine support is not visible in the previous photo, because it goes through the frame from the right side of the bike and threads into a hole on the inner side of the left frame.

Therefore this bolt's head is only seen from the right side of the bike, just above the swingarm pivot:

This is the rear one of two extra-long bolts in the "Crankcase" parts diagram.

As for the front engine support - while the two sub-frames that the 8 crash bar bolts go through would appear to be disconnected with those bolts removed, mine has always stayed in place regardless. Maybe it's due simply to friction, light corrosion, or previous owner stuck some epoxy in there. But I've never had those sub-frames move in the slightest while I had the crash bars off to work on the bike.

That includes rolling the bike around a little inside the garage.

That said, I wouldn't ride the bike with those bolts removed. They do seem to have some role in supporting the engine. No good reason to make the rear engine support do all the work.

Givi crash bars instructions make no mention of the warning found in the Heed instructions, go figure.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts