StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the three rockslides on various roads near the North Carolina / Tennessee border has been cleared. The cleared slide is in Tennessee near the extreme Western tip of North Carolina. The blockages on US 129 (The Dragon) and Interstate 40 remain.

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/20100414/APN/1004142658

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
129, according to Killboy.Com, is open from 8:00am to 8:00pm. Also, it can only be entered from the southeast end in NC. The rockslide between the north end of the Dragon and the Foothills Parkway is still there and it will be a few more weeks before it's cleared up.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
129, according to Killboy.Com, is open from 8:00am to 8:00pm. Also, it can only be entered from the southeast end in NC. The rockslide between the north end of the Dragon and the Foothills Parkway is still there and it will be a few more weeks before it's cleared up.
Are you saying you can ride it, turn around and come back but it doesn't go anywhere?

What would be the point in that?

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
I'm not sure, just parroting what the Killboy site said. My guess, and it's just a guess, is that you can ride it from Deal's Gap to the overlook and then turn around, like you said. Keep in mind that Killboy etux are Dragon Fanatics so everything revolves around riding that particular road. Going anywhere else is secondary ;)

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Parson's Branch Road must be accessible.

So one could devise a loop from say Pigeon Forge, to Cades Cove* via Parsons branch to the Cherohala Parkway.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
You are a lot more familiar with the area than I am so I'll take your word for it ;) I haven't been over there to see what's going on in person.

I don't know exactly where the slide occurred but they are saying south of Foothills Pky and north of the Dragon. Looking at it on a map Parsons Branch Rd should make a decent detour to Townsend assuming it's on the right side of the slide area.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Are you saying you can ride it, turn around and come back but it doesn't go anywhere?

What would be the point in that?
:biggrinjester: That's what prolly 90% of those that ride it do anyway!

Stromin'Nroman said:
Parson's Branch Road must be accessible.

So one could devise a loop from say Pigeon Forge, to Cades Cove* via Parsons branch to the Cherohala Parkway.
You would think so......but you might want to check with the park service 1st to confirm that it's open.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts