StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was going to swap the black front fairing from my blue DL1000 with the silver one on my new black DL1000. Not the fairing around the tank, but I am talking about the plastic piece around the headlights (see attached pic). I was anticipating just removing the turn signals and taking out those 4 bolts. The guy in the service dept at the dealer told me it is way more complicated than that. He said it is not just a plastic piece that can be swapped, that actually all of the instrument cluster and other components are mounted on to that piece, and that just removing it would be a 2 hour job.

Not sure if I can trust this guy, because he's the same guy that had never heard of a throttle body sync and insisted no new bike would ever need one or even benefit from one.

Any of you Strommers out there have experience with this piece? Is it a major ordeal, like the service guy said?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Here's an exploded drawing. All the front plastic has to come apart. It isn't quick. A good mechanic familiar with the process could do it faster but it is far from a six bolt process. Besides what is in the drawing, the instrument panel and side cowling pieces need to come off.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Greywolf. Looks like I will have to abort my plan. :( :( :(

I'm not too good at reading drawings. Just to clarify, swapping over just that plastic piece like I circle in red would be a major job. It looks to me like it does not have all the electronics as a part of it though, like I was told.

·
38,048 Posts
You have to remove every part connected to that one. The connected parts include electrical parts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I took that part off on my 2002 model, not sure is the 07 version is different. The drawings look about the same though. Yes you need to remove all of the fairing pieces, and the turn signals to do it. But the instrument cluster is not attached to it, and it really was not that hard a job. I think the longest part was spent looking things over be sure I was not going to break anything and being sure I knew how it would go back together.

If you are ok with taking off the rest of the fairing yourself, then you should be OK.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here's an exploded drawing. All the front plastic has to come apart. It isn't quick. A good mechanic familiar with the process could do it faster but it is far from a six bolt process. Besides what is in the drawing, the instrument panel and side cowling pieces need to come off.

Which book was this in? I want to get the whol book. Thanks for drawing 49.
Ken Hunter

·
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
Maybe I'm too simple but I've had my, '04 and '05 Wee's apart for repairs and wiring. Other than taking time, it really didn't seem to be a difficult task.
Lots of screws and plastic rivets and learning where to pry to get the pins out of the rubber grommets.
Getting the electrical connections apart was a learning experience too.
It helps to drop a few of the parts and chase them around the garage too!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can't remember why I took my front end all apart the first time. But was a PITA. Now I've done it a bunch and it takes like 15-20 min to get it apart. Like one poster said - be methodical. Those plastic rivets drove me nuts the first time nearly broke the damn thing just trying to brute force pull the first one out. Then learned how to push the little center to release them.
I keep a 2mm (3? 4?) Allen wrench around just for that purpose. I think it probably takes me less time now because I've lost like half the screws rivets and bolts.
Obviously I've got no useful advice.

Really I'm here to ask this question: where can I buy more of those rivets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
38,048 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Suzuki supplies them too. Your dealer can help you hand over your money.

It is a good idea to have some spares on hand. They do tend to break after a while. Like GW says, all except the two biggies under the front are the same size.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts