StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Had an accident with my 2011 DL650A, which meant the bike was a write-off. I kept the Trax boxes and the racks.

My new bike, a 2011 DL650, came with the plastic side cases and top box. Different mounting bracket.

I CANNOT GET THE OLD BRACKETS OFF!!! I have managed to loosen 2 screws, but the other 4 are stubborn bastards and I'm worried that I'm stripping the hex head with my allen keys.

Can someone please give me some advice? I have no idea how they were attached - previous owner, dealer, etc. I don't believe they used any thread fastener. Any suggestions on how to move these?

Of course, I leave on a [email protected]#$#[email protected]%!#$)!%$# trip tomorrow. I thought this, if anything, would be easy.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If it is a factory install there may be thread fastener goop on it. A gun style soldering iron is great to heat the fastener up. Even if there is no goop a few heat/ cool cycles and penetrating lube will help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If the head sits proud, giving it a sharp hit with a hammer can sometimes help - if you are sure there is no thread lock installed (otherwise heat as advised is the go).
If you do strip the head, then drill the head off, and use new bolts on the new bike.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Another method to break them free is to use a cordless impact(dewalt, Milwaukee etc). But be cautioned that it can also rip heads off of small bolts. The many small impacts help break it loose. Little blast of tighten then reverse. Tighten, reverse. Take your time. I find less chance of stripping out compared to allen key.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts