StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 650 Adventure
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed recently that my upshift to third gear sometimes doesn't go into gear unless the bike is at a certain RPM (no idea of the actual RPM). I can only adjust my shifter so low due to my size 14W sasquatch feet. Anyone else have similar issues?

·
Registered
2012 650 Adventure
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've looked at that but don't want to lower the pegs as I drag them enough as it is. Plus, with a 32" inseam I am very comfortable on the bike. If they made the shift lever extension without the lowering of the pegs I would definitely give it a try.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I've noticed recently that my upshift to third gear sometimes doesn't go into gear unless the bike is at a certain RPM (no idea of the actual RPM). I can only adjust my shifter so low due to my size 14W sasquatch feet. Anyone else have similar issues?
Is the clutch rod adjusted properly? cable adjustment? Also you can peel back the covers on the shift linkage and lube the belcranks. Mine got to where it was difficult to put into neutral from first, and 1-3rd shifts were balky as well until I adjusted the clutch rod; best to do during an oil change, as you need to remove the clutch cover. Mine is a 2017, but I believe that the previous generations are the same.

·
Registered
07DL1K
234 Posts
You can use a dr650 shift lever for more boot room. I'm size 13 and it works great, gets rid of all the slop too.
Edit: Disregard my advice, I didn't see you have a 650 and that requires the linkage.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
You need to ensure the gear lever is returning to the zero position between changes.

If the lever is not back at zero you can't get the next gear.

It could be your boot or lack of lubrication that stops the lever going to zero.

Often when people have gear change problems they concentrate on getting the next gear buy they don't complete the last change.

The lever and the linkage on these bikes need lubrication too.

Reactions: Motorpsychology

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
1,190 Posts
There is a very simple mod you can do that "raises" the shifter, but affects nothing else. See if this sounds like what you need:

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
1,190 Posts
The gear shift lever is not super stout to begin with. I might not drill that second hole. I would make the extension piece "L" shaped, but I would zip tie the leg of the "L" to the shift lever with 3 ties. Plenty strong, doesn't damage the lever.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts