StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i posted this on another forum a couple days ago, but thought i'd share it here too.

well, i'm not actually sure how much life is going to suck just yet. today's seen a bit of down with a good portion of up. the downside first...

i left ashland, oregon this morning not sure where the hell i was headed other than south. well, i knew i was going to stop in redding for an in-n-out burger... and i did. life was good. as i approached sacremento i started thinking about where i wanted to plant myself for the evening. i zoomed out on the gps and thought i needed to stop somewhere around vallejo because i decided i needed to take a picture of the bike and the golden gate bridge.

about 10 miles outside of vallejo i hear a ping from the engine - like i needed a higher octane gasoline. hmmm... interesting. at the time i was headed uphill and under a serious load. all of the sudden the bike dies and i pull over to the side, look down and find the left side of the bike is absolutely covered in oil. not good - life or the bike.

i dismount and inspect. hmmm... the chain looks nice and clean. :) the bike's smoking and i take a few steps away cuz if it's going up in flames, i don't want to be anywhere near it. the bike cools and is dripping oil from everywhere south of the seat. meanwhile traffic is zipping by on i-80 and i'm in no mood or position to inspect the bike any further. it's toast.

so i call the local dealer who gives me a number of the towing service they use. here's what a stranded v-strom looks like:

and here's what one looks like on the back of a t-r-a-i-l-e-r. just ain't right:

i didn't get the bike to the dealer in time for them to look at it today so they'll check it tomorrow. before leaving the dealership i dropped the skid plate to see if the drain plug came out. it didn't. so the likely culprit is the clutch seal. the only peculiarity/warning was the bit of knocking i heard prior to the catastrophe. we'll know more tomorrow.

i bought the bike july 16th, 2005. it's 3 weeks out of warranty.

now for the ups...

the dealer here in vallejo has a couple dl1k's on the showroom floor. :) i'd rather not have to buy one.

i just sealed the deal on a new silver gl1800 abs:

quite honestly, i'm surprised someone else from here didn't snag this beauty of a bike. prakash was nice enough to go by and look at the bike, take it for a spin and look at the title. the seller was nice enough to come down on the price. not a jason price, although we started out at a jason price. we did, however, end at a price we could both live with. now i just gotta get out there and pick it up. depending what happens tomorrow, it could be soon! :)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
an update...

the dealer in vallejo told me it would be between 3-4k to fix the bike and it was indeed the clutch seal that disintegrated. not sure what can be about the bike being 3 weeks out of warranty, but i'd suspect nothing. the really crappy part is i attempted to purchase an extended warranty a week prior to the expiration, but the dealer didn't enter the data until after it expired. told me i was s-o-l. oh well. i shouldn't have waited as long as i did to purchase the extended warranty.

i inquired about purchasing a new strom from the dealer in vallejo, but they wouldn't deal. they also indicated they would have to charge me california tax because i was riding it off the showroom floor. the out-the-door price was wayyyyyyyyyyyyy out of line.

federal is shipping the strom to commonwealth - a dealer in louisville that i trust to give me all my options. i'm resigned to getting this bike on the road again. we've been places and, quite honestly, i enjoy the ride.

i caught a plane back to bowling green and am getting the gs ready for the road.

i got a plane ticket to d-c to pick up the new wing next week.

life is good.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Tough break. When things break down on me, I get the urge to place a stick of dynamite and blow the thing to smitherines. Immature yes but very satisfying.

GL1800 nice bike. What a monster

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BHazz said:
Immature yes but very satisfying.
immature, hell. smart's more like it. you probably file a claim directly after, eh? :)

i've been looking for another gl18, but have been waiting for the right one to come along. this is the bike i've been waiting for. my other bikes are better-suited to one-up touring and long distance riding. my girlfriend will be much more comfortable on the wing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Re: an update...

jasonJonas said:
the dealer in vallejo told me it would be between 3-4k to fix the bike and it was indeed the clutch seal that disintegrated.
Oh Crap... Sorry to hear about this mate..

I was replacing my chain this morning and found that I to am missing the clutch pushrod oil seal....

I guess that I am very lucky that I found it before any damage has been done (or at least I hope no damage has been done).

I dont know if they are going to fix her underwarrenty, but I think they should, Will see in the morning when I limp over to springwood for them to take a look.

Mind you after reading your story I might just get her towned....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Re: an update...

Actually thinking about it now, what year is your strom. Mines a K5 and if yours is out if warrenty its either a K5 or K4...

Perhaps there is a problem with the "clutch pushrod oil seal" on the newer stroms

I had my clutch replaced about 3 months back cause I burnt it out on a goat track, I had my clutch adjusted incorrectly and well i fragged it..

Suzuki had no parts here in Aus so I got goodrich plates fitted......

If I was you I would be looking for a totalled strom or SV650 and using the motor from that, mind you if she is only 3 weeks out of warrenty you might get suzuki to come to the party and repair it.....

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's a k5. the only issues with the pushrod seal that i've heard is that some folks have noticed some leakage/damage as a result of replacing the counter sprocket. nothing catastrophic like this.

not sure what suzuki will do, but i'm not hopeful. the bike should be in louisville soon and i'll have a damn fine dealer to go to bat for me in this regard. we'll see what happens. i miss the strom.

·
Registered
139 Posts
BHazz said:
Tough break. When things break down on me, I get the urge to place a stick of dynamite and blow the thing to smitherines. Immature yes but very satisfying.

GL1800 nice bike. What a monster
Beat it with a sledge hammer first, then a match in the gas tank. Much more satisfying.

Don't worry, after you mature you think of the sledge hammer and matches. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
112 Posts
In the end it turned out that when my chain came off it bent my clutch push rod and that is why it was leaking.

It cost me $15 in parts and $60 in labour and now its all good.

NOTE: they did not have my push rod instock but found that the GS500 has the exact same part so they used a second hand one to replace mine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts