StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody...

I am looking into replacing my mesh jacket.

Last year I picked up my Vee and with it a budget friendly Speed and Strength mesh jacket

Now the mesh liner inside is starting to break and would like to replace it with something else and a little more touring oriented.

I like the Olympia Mesh Jackets or the Alpine Cape Town; but I am also entertaining the idea of going with something like this
and using my everyday jackets for when the temp drops.

Anybody have experience this those? Any recommendations. I live in florida, so will it be good for heat management?

Help me make my mind.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
In Florida you deal more with humidity management than heat management, don't you? Max highs are never over 100 as I see, and normal highs are about 90. You need light colors and lots of ventilation for your coat/pants/gloves and your helmet.

Skin temperature in the summer is around 95°F, so when riding in air above that, the air heats the skin. In this case a rider would do better with limited ventilation and a cooling evaporative layer next to the skin.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Was quite happy with my tourmaster sonora 3/4 mesh with 2 additional liners (waterproof and quilted) in Florida last September. The liners were useful for up north when temps dropped to the 40's. Temps to near 100 in Florida, humidex higher. Tried a water soaked cooling vest and ended up disposing of it, my Columbia long sleeved omni freeze top, stretchy mostly polyester was fine under this mesh jacket and comfortable for me.

·
Registered
714 Posts
First Gear Mesh Tex..... Best flowing and best quality build going for mesh jackets. Tried several others, but took them back as nothing compares to First Gear. Has a zip out liner good for rain and chilly mornings. With a full heated liner underneath the rain liner it's good down into the 40's. Here in Texas it can be 50 in the morning and 80 by afternoon.

·
Registered
824 Posts

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I have a Fieldsheer open-mesh for hot weather. I like it, but I don't know that there is a lot of difference between various brands. I also have a Hein Gericke and a Tourmaster for different temps and uses, and they are all good. Frankly I'm more interested in color than the name on the label.

The Bilt brand sold by Cycle Gear looks like a pretty good product at an even better price point.

·
Administrator
17,521 Posts
First Gear Mesh Tex..... Best flowing and best quality build going for mesh jackets. Tried several others, but took them back as nothing compares to First Gear. Has a zip out liner good for rain and chilly mornings. With a full heated liner underneath the rain liner it's good down into the 40's. Here in Texas it can be 50 in the morning and 80 by afternoon.
Big plus 1 on that!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts