StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, with a new bike, are you fans of these things, and if so, where was your favorite place to get them from?

Tank guards?
Knee Grips?
Panniers and hardware?
Hand grips?
Tires?
Lights?
Other upgrades you couldn't live without?

And, if anyone is in the L.A. area, let me know! Coffee and rides? Let's do it!

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
I get most of my stuff from the for sale section of the forum.
Google an item and find a low price, especially for riding suits, like Aerostich and Gerbing. Tires can be had for a good price from Chaparral in San Bernardino.
For meet-ups, Have you been to Newcombs Ranch of Hwy 2? I get up there some Thursdays for lunch time.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
My favorite "upgrade" is to always put a multiple power port on. I take multi day trips and have a power port for phone, tablet and GPS (at the same time).

AT 6'2" , I also like bar risers, larger windscreen and highway pegs.

Some kind of "cruise control" is mandatory for old bones.

Led lights all around save amps for heated gear.

I ride year round so heated gear is a must.

Welcome, She-rider!

·
Registered
945 Posts
A "must-have" list;

• Voltmeter
  • Center Stand
  • Top Box
  • Heated Grips
  • Auto Chain Oiler

Voltmeter is for peace of mind. Center stand is great for doing any sort of maintenance on the bike. Top Box is nice when you want to carry something that won't fit under the seat and don't want to take the car. Heated grips are great for extending the riding season (Spring and Fall), even in California. When I bought my bike about a year ago it came with (but not installed) a Tutoro Chain Oiler that recently made my list. I finally installed it a few months ago and I love it. No more fussing with the chain, just top-off the reservoir and ride. It does spatter oil a bit but not too bad and a trade-off I am willing to make.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Grip puppies - Amazon for less than $15. They are a foam tube that goes over the regular grip making them more comfortable for those of us with bigger mitts.

Traveler 3" LED light pods - $74.99 at Tractor Supply. Extremely bright and turn night into day. Also effective for daytime running lights.

3" LED lights light cubes $30.00 and a wiring harness with fuse and relay $12 both off Amazon. Lights are not as bright as the Traveler brand but close. For the price I can deal with them. The also come with amber colored snap on lenses.

Ram mounts and phone holder w/ otter box to make for waterproof GPS and music - Price all in about $50 various places.

12V USB plug from Cycle Gear and HD lightening cord from Wally World to charge my phone - $20 total. Phone charges all day while I ride. No need to bring a charger in to hotel with me when traveling.

Skull candy ear buds from Wally World - $9. I can listen to music and turn by turn directions + the mic on the volume button I can talk on the phone with great clarity to the other person up to about 60 MPH. I am too cheap to go BT + BT ear buds only last 4 to 6 hours and I'd have to carry another charger.

Pandora subscription - $54 per year.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Alaska Sheepskin seat cover. Makes a fair seat good and a good seat better. Cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Best bang for the buck product I have bought in a long time. On another thread I just stopped on, I would add the cheap plastic cramp buster. Both of these are comfort items.

Next mod for me would be high visibility reflective tape on the back of my panniers. The red/white DOT stuff you see on semi-truck trailers.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
The Wee is so much fun to upgrade, so much to choose from. Depending where you live, how tall you are and what type of riding you do, farkles will vary. Here are a few on my list:

Fork brace: helps stability.
Oxford heated grips: for chilly mornings/rainy days, extends your riding time in comfort
Replacement seat: Higher, lower, MORE COMFORTABLE than stock. Some are fine with OEM, many are not, find what works for you.
"Aprilla" style mirrors: cuts buffeting down and might keep you from the next item on the list
Wind Screen upgrade: Givi is what I went with, there are several others. Ride with OEM and see if you are getting knocked around over 60 MPH and pull the trigger.
Side stand "boot": keep the wee upright on hot pavement and soft ground

The "for sale" forum here is a good spot to pick things up. Others can be purchased from the manufacturers, ebay/amazon/revzilla for the rest.

Happy riding, you will love the Wee.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Footpeg and controls lowering kit and mirror extenders from AdventureTech

Alaska Leather sheepskin seat cover (longhair natural version)

Givi Airflow 22" windshield

Suzuki OEM centerstand

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'll second the Adventure Tech fork brace - great improvement in handling, I found it most noticeable in cross winds on the highway.

Really like my small Moose Racing top box. Enough room for the essentials and too small to overload or be a wind sail.

Sit and fly seat cover, makes riding with all the gear a little more bearable in the heat, 108-ish in Tucson today. Also adds comfort and a little height.

I have found the throttle lock (Kaoko) to be indispensable.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Madstad with Cal-Sci plus Aprilia mirrors = no buffeting. At all.
Adventuretech peg lowering kit.
Givi V47 top case.
2" Rox risers.
Center stand.
Edit - Forgot one: Eastern Beaver Headlight Relay Kit, regardless of model year.

The rest is gravy.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Givi airflow windscreen, Happy Trails skid plate, OEM center stand, Givi V47top box, OEM hand guards (wind deflectors really), SW Motech crash bars are the must-haves for me. Freeway blasters, Sargent seat, Adventuretech peg lowering kit, Goldwing pegs, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Kosso heated grips, Grab-on grip covers, Highway pegs, Aprilla mirrors, Suzuki clear tank protector would fall into the wanted to have category but not absolutely required. Enduro Guardian radiator guard, Adventuretech auxiliary lights, Givi rear hugger, Shad SH23 side cases, Adventuretech GPS shelf, X-Mount phone carrier, and the RAM mounts fall under the nice to have category. I have Adventuretech mirror extenders, passenger peg lowering brackets, auxiliary plugs w/brackets, and a Garmin Zuma 396 GPS that I have not yet installed.

·
Registered
117 Posts
With the exception of my Sargent seat that I bought (used) all of my upgrades were done by previous owners. I like my LED taillight and blinkers for visibility from the back, LED flood lights on crash bars for visibility from the front, full luggage set (soft factory sides and Givi top box with rack) for hauling stuff, heated grips, I've only used once so far and will like them when its chili out. I really like the adjustable Madstad bracket and aftermarket screen, hot days I can tilt it back and get airflow like a naked bike and cool days or higher speeds I can raise it up and avoid buffeting. Center stand is a huge plus for maintenance and SW mototech tank bag and lock ring are really useful (I bought that new). Decent riding gear I also purchased and like that for a little extra safety. Will probably purchase a fork brace, a suspension upgrade is always nice but expensive and not necessary for me. Good tires for riding conditions are huge and I'm really enjoying the 14t countershaft sprocket I installed, bike pulls a lot more.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Heated gear and Gortex suit and boots! Makes riding in ugly/cold weather a breeze. After that in this order:

- Heated grips
- Top case
- Side cases - or if you hate side cases (like v-tom) go with 60+ litre dry bags and rok straps.
- Crash bars
- Tank pads - Suzuki has great ones for $10.
- Aux lights - for a triangular pattern for visibility... less for actual lighting output
- Fender riser if you plan on riding knobbies and doing some dirt riding

·
Registered
457 Posts
My bike is a '13 650 Adventure so it came with OEM aluminum panniers. These are a must for me.

I look at my upgrades in hindsight.
I ask myself what would I absolutely have to add or change out if I bought a shiny new Wee. Here's my list.

Finishing the build items;
Center stand (most are just fine)
USB Outlets with voltmeter (Amazon)
12 volt outlet for compressor and battery tender (Amazon again)
Phone/GPS holder
Good, stout skid plate
Grip wind deflectors or deflection/protection set up

Standard equipment replacements;
Swap the flimsy OEM crash bars (mine broke at a weld) with T-Rex crash bars or some other stout product.
Replace the windshield. It sucks at speed. I have a Givi Airflow and it made a huge difference.
Seat Concepts seat (the OEM was absolute torture on my bony butt)

Ergonomics;
Rick's peg lowering kit (no more cramping)
Up and back bar risers for proper posture on the bike (no more back ache)
Grip Puppies (cramping again)

These are the minimum items I would add or replace to replicate my needs with a new Wee. A big financial reason to love my current bike! And my list of farkles and upgrades starts from this point. Won't go into those. Hurts my wallet just to think about them...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Center stand, hand guards, Tourmaster tank bag, and Akrapovic Titanium slip on, all purchased from the dealer.

Rubber stick on tank guards and Aprilia mirrors, both from Ebay.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought many upgrades, heated gripes, panniers, etc for my 2018 DL 1000.
The best upgrade was a horn on Amazon that replaced the stock horn in about 15 minutes....alot louder for when drivers cut you off or miss seeing you in a parking lot....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Terry Adcox seat and peg lowering kit are necessities. Period.

Center stand is almost a necessity. I'm glad I have it.

Fork brace made more difference than I thought it would, especially in crosswinds. Not a must but for the money, why not?

Loud horn (Fram), running lights, side stand big foot; all good to have but for me are optional.

·
Vendor
5,423 Posts
I have a few favorite farkles and suppliers too.

Back-a-line. My back became my limiting factor until I heard about this product. It looks like a kidney belt, but works like a back rest you wear. If you have lower back pain after riding a few hours try this.

Sonic Springs - One of the most substantial and economically priced upgrades for a DL650 is to change the fork springs and for oil. It can transform you long legged beast into a serious sport touring ride.

Eastern Beaver - I do my own electrical wiring, but for those who don't enjoy it I recommend Eastern Beaver for many plug and play solutions.

Butler Maps - Best printed maps for motorcycling period!

Motorcycle Roads - Dedicated to cataloging and rating every motorcycle road n the USA. Just Google "Motorcycle roads (your state) and give time to the map populate.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts