StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about trading my 06 Wee for an 11 Wee. Does this make any sense? Other than ABS would I even notice the difference? I just got the 06 and really enjoy it. The purchase price was good, so if the dealer gave me a fair value on trade in I could get a new bike at a very good price. Or I could take that money and farkle this thing to death.

Thanks for any and all input.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
If given a choice I would take an ABS bike over non ABS. A big deal for me too. 2012's ought to be out any day I believe. Might want to have a look.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The swap will give you a new bike with ABS, a big deal for me as well, plus five years less wear and tear...some of which isn't readily apparent. Now that you know the Wee is the bike for you it might be real nice to "start again" with a new one.

The disadvantage of waiting for the 2012 is dealers won't be willing to move as much on them as the "old" 2011... The redesign for 2012 forced me to jump in as I prefer to have the last year of a known reliable product then being the "Beta" field tester for a first year redesign...

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
The stock brakes on a 2006 ARE pretty much as Anti-lock as you can get [aside from my old 1979 RM125's ornamental drum brakes!].....you might not even know a difference!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
There's a huge difference between anti lock and hard to lock on dry pavement. It's those bouts on pavement with diesel oil spills, pea gravel, new mown grass etc. that establish that difference as well as level ground off pavement.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input. The last 3 BMWs I had/have all had ABS but, the 2 Harleys that I put a total of 108000+ miles in about 6 years did not. I like knowing it's (ABS) there if needed but not a deal breaker. Being an MSF Instructor helps braking because you get to practice on a closed course a lot.

I stopped by the local shop, had a mechanic listen to the bike look it over and he said "keep what you got". Not saying there is anything wrong with a newer one, just that this one is in very good shape.

I still may post it for sale and if it goes then wait till there's a foot of snow on the ground and see who wants to deal.

Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
There's a huge difference between anti lock and hard to lock on dry pavement. It's those bouts on pavement with diesel oil spills, pea gravel, new mown grass etc. that establish that difference as well as level ground off pavement.
Yep, the real advantage of ABS is that it is testing and adjusting to every coupl'a inches of pavement. Damp paint stripes, leaves under a tree overhanging the road, dry pavement, another slippery spot etc., etc. are all handled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts