StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this is a heavily opinionated question, and I do realize which forum I'm on, but that's exactly why I'm asking it. I'm just looking for input and food for thought on the matter.

I'm currently on a 2014 V-Strom 1000 ABS. Aside from a stripped oil drain bolt, it has given me zero issues in the 4 years and 12,000 miles I have owned it since taking it off of the showroom floor in 2015. To make a long story short, I'm rearranging some funds, and am in a fortunate position to be able to throw $10,000 cash towards a new bike if need be, or possibly a bit more for the right one. I've been eyeing a newer KTM 1290 Super Adventure R (or S, I'm fine with either), but at the same time I do love the simplicity and reliability of the V-Stroms. I came from the sportbike world, so the raw power of the KTM is appealing, and the technology on the newer ones is very impressive. The KTM would be a very large jump in performance and capability, both on and off road, but it does have an appropriately higher pricetag. On the Suzuki side, I am unaware of any major changes from 2014 until now that would justify an upgrade, but I would consider it if there are.

If you were me, would you:
-Keep the paid off 2014
-Strip all of my farkles (assuming that they are compatible), sell the 2014, and cash purchase a leftover 2018/2019 V-Strom 1000 (I'm partial to the base model black/red, but the XT Adventure looks nice)
-Sell the 2014, and find a KTM 1290 Super Adventure in the $12k - $14k range (I could potentially stretch for $12k cash, but anything else would require a small loan)

The above are not the *only* options that I would consider, but they are the main courses of action thus far. I am partial to the GS as well, but I've heard they are very hit or miss on reliability, and that maintenance can be a hassle. Lastly, for reference, I am 6'5" about 220 pounds, which is why I tend to gravitate towards the larger (both engine and consequently ergos) bikes. With that being said, I would not be completely against, say, a KTM 1090, or smaller engine GS such as the F 850 GS, so long as it comfortable to ride.

Any opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
If you were me, would you:
Do you have a bike you lust after ??? YES then go for it.

Buying just because you can could lead to making a mistake.

I'm like you in that I can purchase a new bike at anytime but I just have not found a bike I really want, as soon as I do find the one it will join the others in the stable.

My thing is no regrets, life is too short to live with regrets.

We do differ in that I will never consider another KTM :furious:

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Doesn't seem like you ride much. 3k miles a year?

Would a new bike give you incentive to ride? Maybe that's worth the cash outlay.

But if it's just going to sit in your garage...

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
I agree entirely with Spec ...you are in riders heaven and only 3k a year ?? :confused: That's hardly worth considering a change.

Perhaps having two bikes would scratch that itch. Keep the Vstrom and get something go fast in a sport tourer - then sell the one getting the least use.

This would get your blood up

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/56184978

5,000 miles, $10k

There are more
https://www.carsforsale.com/suzuki-hayabusa-for-sale-in-knoxville-tn-C374857-L114046

even one in your fav colours for $7500

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/53921527#photoModal

Reactions: NVDucati

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have a bike you lust after ??? YES then go for it.

Buying just because you can could lead to making a mistake.

I'm like you in that I can purchase a new bike at anytime but I just have not found a bike I really want, as soon as I do find the one it will join the others in the stable.

My thing is no regrets, life is too short to live with regrets.

We do differ in that I will never consider another KTM :furious:
Oh, I absolutely agree with you. It wouldn't be an impulse purchase, but at the same time it's certainly not a necessity to have a new bike.

I've sat on a few KTMs before, but aside from the secondhand information I've obtained, I have no firsthand experience with KTM. What is your issue with them, and which bike resulted in your dislike for the brand?

You do make a good point though. As far as a dream bike, cost and maintenance be damned, I really think it would be the GS series. I think that they're just absolutely beautiful machines, and I dig German engineering.

Doesn't seem like you ride much. 3k miles a year?

Would a new bike give you incentive to ride? Maybe that's worth the cash outlay.

But if it's just going to sit in your garage...
I want to say a little over half of those miles were racked up within the first 9-12 months. Shortly after that, I traded my 4-wheeled vehicle for one that I could actually commute in as well, so my time to ride fell off a bit. Oftentimes, I have to drag a lot of gear/equipment in to work, so sometimes riding just isn't feasible. Also, for about 2 1/2 of those 4 years, I've owned two bikes as well, so mileage was split between the V-Strom and my KLR 650 that I used to have, and the R1 that I currently own.

I agree entirely with Spec ...you are in riders heaven and only 3k a year ?? :confused: That's hardly worth considering a change.

Perhaps having two bikes would scratch that itch. Keep the Vstrom and get something go fast in a sport tourer - then sell the one getting the least use.

This would get your blood up

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/56184978

5,000 miles, $10k

There are more
https://www.carsforsale.com/suzuki-hayabusa-for-sale-in-knoxville-tn-C374857-L114046

even one in your fav colours for $7500

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/53921527#photoModal
I own a 2012 R1 right now, so that definitely scratched that itch for speed. The crossplane was always near the top of the list of bikes for me to own. Honestly though, sportbikes just aren't my style anymore, so part of the funds towards a new bike would be coming from the sale of that R1. Also, I just don't have the room for two bikes, unfortunately.

I would almost argue that it's just as, if not even more important, for someone who has less time to ride to have a bike that they love. You have to make that limited time that you have count, after all!

I do appreciate all of the input. Already some new things to consider with the extra perspectives.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
What about a dirt bike or an actual dual sport like a KTM 350/500?

About half the price of a big KTM and way more fun of road!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about a dirt bike or an actual dual sport like a KTM 350/500?

About half the price of a big KTM and way more fun of road!

I had an 07 KLR 650 that I loved, but it was downright terrible for cruising/commuting with the knobbies that I had on it. I imagine a smaller bike would be even worse.

Though it would be incredibly fun to have one of these to dedicate to bashing around off road, I definitely need more of a balance, since a good ~70% or more of my time is dedicated to touring with a set of panniers/bags. Another 25% or so of fire roads/gravel/loose dirt, with probably 5% or less of actual nasty stuff rounds off my typical riding habits on my V-Strom

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
why not just get on a ktm for a test ride?you may hate it or you may fall in love with it.
I've sat on them before, and I know I like the ergos. And if the engine is half as good as everyone says, I know I'll love the ride. But yeah, that would be the optimal place to start. I definitely do plan on doing that when I get the chance, I just figured I'd look for some input until I do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If I have the money. I'd go for it. I'm gonna buy one that I really like.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I have the money. I'd go for it. I'm gonna buy one that I really like.
That's the thing...I do really like the V-Stroms! Is it my dream bike? No. But is it absolutely solid, and very enjoyable? Definitely. I just need to figure out if it's worth switching over...

·
Registered
282 Posts
That's the thing...I do really like the V-Stroms! Is it my dream bike? No. But is it absolutely solid, and very enjoyable? Definitely. I just need to figure out if it's worth switching over...
that's the thing! you have already bike which is not your dream bike, want to get another which is still not???
nonsens, makes use of what you have already and figure out if you want to ride at all.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,331 Posts
Buy what works for you. Talk with some owners of the KTM. See what they think.

But by all means find one to TEST RIDE!

That bike is going to scare you the first time you throttle up. In fact, be more than cautious about quick throttle application!

Then you can decide if it is worth the price. Those bikes are like Thoroughbred Horses. Not for everyone. May tend to bite. But my God, when you unleash them there is nothing like them!

Reactions: Big B

·
Registered
278 Posts
As a owner and I can tell you I have been nothing but thrilled with my purchase. My bike had been flawless other than the fuel gauge sticking but that was a easy fix. The motor is perfect it doesn’t care if your idling or letting it rip. I’d buy another and not loose a moments sleep questioning my purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Big B and TheHops

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,331 Posts
As a owner and I can tell you I have been nothing but thrilled with my purchase. My bike had been flawless other than the fuel gauge sticking but that was a easy fix. The motor is perfect it doesn’t care if your idling or letting it rip. I’d buy another and not loose a moments sleep questioning my purchase.
I rode a friends up in Colorado for a short ride. Hard to explain how good that engine is without a ride. Glad you stepped in with an owner report. Those are what matter.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
something without a chain.

You DID say any opinions...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
You sound like you're in the same ergonomic range as me. I'm 6'5" as well. This motorcycle ergo program is great and will allow you to contrast and compare any bike in which you have an interest. It can save chasing around to find bikes to "sit on".
Here's the website>>> Motorcycle Ergonomics

RealShelby is right on the money when he talks about the KTM engine. I've heard it will scare you and intoxicate you at the same time. People have said that after one ride, a permanent smile has been placed on their faces!!! :thumbup:

Reactions: Garbage Marc

·
Registered
52 Posts
Coming from sport bikes, seems like a Ducati Multistrada might be something to consider. While new are expensive, a slightly used one can be had for a reasonable fee.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts