StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2011 V-Strom since 2015 and put 25,000 miles on first gen V-Stroms. The 2011 currently has 30,000 miles on it. I debate getting a newer or possibly brand new V-Strom. What would I be gaining with a new 650? I've only ridden a 2012 model briefly. Does the new fairing feel smaller than the original? Is it still a PITA to remove for maintenance? Is the engine less course sounding than the original?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I replaced my 2016 wee with a 2019 wee xt. I wanted the traction control and new design but was surprised that I really liked the low rpm assist feature. The easy start is nice as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
445 Posts
My 2017 DL650 is the first Suzuki I've owned, But coming from an '01 Kawasaki ZX11, the fuel injection and ABS are nice. There are several threads on the forum dealing with windshields and buffeting,No one has said the aftermarket windshields are inferior to stock, and folks seem to be happier overall. I am in the "Stock-is-just-fine" camp. Easily removed and adjusted for height with four, 5mm broad-face hex head screws. I think it does a good job of shielding wind and bugs, and the aftermarket has fully caught up to the 2016> generation as far as accessories, tires, exhaust, etc
If you are thinking new, your dealer may be able to get you a sweet deal on a new 2019, or even a 2018, even if they don't have one in stock. I bought my '17 in May 2018 and got a huge rebate, free setup and $825 retail value panniers and mounts.

·
Registered
445 Posts
What I'm wondering is how much better the new one is than my 2011.
I think the best answer would be to take a demo ride on one. Seating position, relation to controls and other aesthetics are hard to quantify, and opinion will vary widely. Beyond more horsepower and some styling differences, a new one has less obvious improvements, and what may be a huge improvement to some here, is a non factor or even a disappointment to others.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a 2012 and a 2108. Unfortunately I did not have the 2018 from new and have been trying to get it back closer to stock so I may compare. I've dumped the Delkevic full exhaust system and put the stock pipe back on so performance wise it should be apples for apples. I think the 2018 has a bit more midrange than the 2012. I had suspension issues with the newer bike but it should now be back to bone stock. The springs in the two are different so I expect their performance to vary. I'd say the older bike is stiffer and therefore feels better when cruising. That said - the springs in the newer bike are supposed to be harder as the coils are not as tight as the older bike. Go figure. The newer bike also has a significant amount of vibration compared to the older bike but this is something I am currently investigating and may be down to incorrectly installed crash bars/engine mount.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think Motor gave you the best answer. I had a 2012 - went thru 2 bikes - and am happily back on a 2019. All of what I liked on my 2012 is still here with a few new / nice features. Engine seems a bit smoother (if that's possible??) - slimmer tank (much appreciated) - auto acceleration when the clutch is let out - spoke wheels - possibly a few other things?? No one can tell you whether you would say a move up would be worth it. I don't think you'll really know until after a test ride.

Cheers.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I can't recommend going from the Gen1 to the Gen2, the differences just aren't that great. I had a 2007 DL650A and replaced it with a 2014 DL650A. I like my new bike but TBH it wasn't that much of an upgrade to justify the cost/hassle of switching. I guess I was expecting more. In any case, it may make sense to go Gen1 => Gen3 but do your homework and be sure consider other similar but non-Suzuki models.

·
Premium Member
3,462 Posts
I went from a 07 to my 15XT. I wanted the wire wheels for off pavement and they have not disappointed. The 15: The air box is still under the tank and time consuming to get to. The throttle is a lot less snatchy in lower rpm maneuvers. The engine is a bit smoother and more responsive. I don't think the tranny was changed, but it feels different/ better....could be my imagination.

Overall I'm glad I made the switch and so far have no interest in upgrading again. I have put 30K on it and all smiles. I will say this, when one gets the itch for a new bike it generally does not go away by itself😎

·
Registered
550 Posts
I don't know about the 2012 model so I can not compare to that one. I had a 2005 Gen1 model for years but then moved up to the 2017 when it came out. What a world of difference! It handles better, it feels lighter ( I think that was due to center of gravity). The engine is a great leap forward. Better power, smoother, more top end. The "dash" is vastly better with a gear indicator and more functions and easy to change displays from the left hand grip switch. An ambiant temp display that is nice and the ability to set what information you want is cool. The auto assist on the clutch that speeds up the engine seemed a bite like a gimmick when I got the bike but I now find it quite helpful. The headlight seems better, the power outlet on the cluster is nice. The generator has more output to run my heated clothing and grips. The ABS seems to work great and I like the traction control and its switchable. The only change I wasn't thrilled with was the seat, its a bit hard. I did a gel pad on that and its better.
Over all its just a better bike all around. Was it worth the upgrade? For me, definately a YES. But, as they say, YMMV.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts