StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

In 2007 I tried first the 650 then 1000, then 650 and 1000, then i bought the 650 mainly because I loved the motor even if it's weaker then the 1000. I thought that the 1000 cc had to much enginebrake and did not rev very high, it "stalled " at about 7000 rpm, just to vibrate more if you reved it higher. My intension was to ride the 650 for 1 or max 2 years, but it I had it for 9 years. Then I sold it and bought a Ktm 1190 adventure, quite a different machine :smile2: But the 1190 is a fire breathing beast which is a bit to eager to be ridden hard, my riding is mostly long touring trips 2500 / 3000 km approx 1750 miles in a week with tent, sleeping bags and the whole outback kit. I ride a gasgas300 enduro, so I get my thrills in the forest :grin2:

So what has happened since 2007 on the 1000 cc, motor / frame / brakes / suspension and so on ?

And these days its mostly 2up riding, so how's the passenger seat ?

Anyone here that has gone from Ktm 1190 to a DL1000 ?

Thanks for your input !

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Motor, the '12 and earlier 1000 was a 996, the '14 and later is a 1037. Numerous changes in all areas.
Tuned for low and mid-range torque, not high rpm power.
To me, a totally different motorcycle. Many, many differences in appearance, braking, suspension, instrumentation. exhaust, you name it. The same in name only.

I bought my '14 DL1000 for commuting and sport-touring, and it's been(for ME) truly outstanding in all areas.
Since you asked about the engine...
and handling...

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
I put 122K on my 05 650 and last May bought an 2018 1000. Not really comparable to the older 1000s. Lighter, smoother, ABS, Traction control,better suspension and the engine is very controllable as its tuned for more low end torque. No regrets about upgrading. Also work much better on the Wests 80 MPH speed limits. Only complaint(and its a small one) is Premium fuel.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I had a 2004 WEE with upgraded front brakes and upgraded fron and rear suspension. The V2 is better in both respects that the Wee was.

My only gripe was that the V2 engine is not as sweet as the 650 was. By adding a boosterplug it has improved significantly and can now be lugged down to 2k rpm, without the boosterplug 3k is the minimum.

Stock seat with a sit&fly cover is all day comfortable. I had an aftermarket seat on the WEE, the stock seat was terrible (at least for me).

The V2 is not that much heavier then the current 650 and thus there is less weight penalty by going for the larger engine. Very relaxt riding with the tuning for torque at the lower end of the range. The 650 wants to be revved, the new 1000 does not need to be revved. Very nice for those long distance days we have in the US trying to pass through the plains to get to the Rockies.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input !

On saturday this weekend I tried a 2019 at a dealer.

First impressions compared with the 1190:
Its low, but thats both good and bad, good when you're standing still and bad when in traffic, you'll get a better overview of whats going on around you if you sit higher.

Very smooth engine compared with the 1190, maybe not as fun in the short run, but I'm absolute sure that you feel better after a long 8 hour ride on the Vstrom.
I will sell the 1190, it's time for a change :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts