StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Administrator
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're pleased to announce that we have launched a new smartphone view on the site, in addition to the recently added mobile view in the last upgrade. This version has been designed to have a cleaner look, to fit really nicely into mobile (iPhone, Android) browsers, and unlike most normal web based skins will also include features that are normally reserved for desktop or phone applications. We built this as we realize you all spend more time today on your phones on the forum than you did 2 years ago, and we want to get the mobile view to a place where you can do everything (and more!) that you can do on desktop.

A few notes as I know many of you may have questions:

* This does not replace the free or paid in-apps that you have, such as any mobile apps. This is web-only.
* This new skin will only show when you access the site from a modern (Android 4+, iPhone) phone. It will not show for older phones or for tablets, blackberries or windows phones.
* Please give us some time as we work through bugs. Give it a try, give us feedback in our mobile thread url, and give it a chance. Every change needs time to get used to!​

If you visit the site from your mobile phone, you'll get the new view automatically. You can login, post, reply, upload photos, view your private messages and more. You can also use the legacy mobile view by choosing the top left menu and Exit Enhanced Mobile Mode.

The feedback thread for any bugs, etc, please post below.

**Please let use know the device, software version, and browser being used if reporting any issues.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
It is crap!

Thanks for f*#king up my phone access to what is the best forum I'm on (and hopefully will remain so, if you guys don't screw with it too much in the name of "improvement").

The android version has just been forced on to me when I access via my Samsung Galaxy S4.

Now I can't see what I'm typing because it is hidden below the phone's on screen keyboard.

Trying to scroll through the threads to find new posts in specific threads is very difficult in the way the app lays the forum website up now (I don't want have to go through all the new posts on the forum, I just want to access my local regional stuff when using my phone, the laptop or desktop are what I use to look at the rest of the forum).

The advertising on the bottom of the page now takes up space that then doesn't allow me to read or reply to posts properly, accessing the old way allowed me to view the advert link properly to see if it was a product I was interested in (now I can't even make out what product the link is for, and I'm sure as Hell not going to click the link just for the fun of it) while still reading the contents of the thread/post.

I just want to be able to go back to the old way I accessed Stromtrooper on my phone (gives me a page that looks just like I see on my tablet, laptop and desktop).

Please make the app removable, or I will be removing me from the forum.

And FYI, verticalscope already screwed up a couple of other forums I used to be on... I'm no longer on them.

Regards,
Stephen (aka Ock.)

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Not thrilled with it either. S4 phone here also. On quick glance I see no link for New Posts? Hope I just missed it or it is changed soon. That one should be a no brainer.

·
Super Moderator
13,100 Posts
Right now its only running on Android and Apple. All Blackberry devices should still display the site fine as desktop view on mobile.
From what I'm reading perhaps it's better you don't bother doing a Blackberry version.

It sounds like it's destroying the experience here.

..Tom

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
What I originally had on my S4 worked just fine for me Tom, looked just like my laptop and tablet screen, worked easily, just like using a mini version of the tablet I'm now having to resort to to read and post on the forum.

Now if I want to check in from anywhere other than at home I'm going to have to take the tablet, mobile phone and a second charger just to get on here (second charger as phone eats battery life when used as a WiFi hotspot for the tablet, and the tablet needs recharging after two or three hours as well).

Avoid the new app on your phone if at all possible Tom (and anyone else).

·
Administrator
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys,

You can leave that view if you look up on the top left side and click on the 3 lines it will take you to a section were at the bottom of the options is an exit option click on it and your out of there.

Thank you so much and keep the feedback coming :)

~ GP community support

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Question for you tech types.

I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab S. Nice device, but I am getting a strange presentation of the Stromtrooper.com site when using either the Internet" or Google Chrome Internet browsers provided with the tablet. I downloaded Firefox, which gives me the normal, presentation, although it seems a bit slow than the other two.

I'd appreciate any input here that would explain what is going on, because I can't maneuver around normally. And it seems that the Stromtrooper site is the only one affected in this manner. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
See Admin post #8

Hi strompilot, see post number 8 up above, this solved the issue for me (though I had to find it the hard way as this method hadn't been posted at that stage).

I found the app slow in loading and made it near impossible to navigate around the forum site and pages (hence my rant and vent in the "I will probably get banned" thread I started).

It is very frustrating when you have something that works perfectly for you as is and then the forum owners change it (even though it may be with best intentions), forcing the new change on you in the process.

This new app still needs more modification if it is going to work properly.

Personally I think any website operator should be aiming to have their site mimicked on a smart phone in the exact same manner as it appears on a home PC/laptop/tablet, after all that is what the smartphone developers design smartphones to do in the first place.

What I loved about how my Galaxy S4 accessed Stromtooper (and all the other websites I visit) is that it gives me the same appearance and full website features I can access on my laptop.

All the new app did was spoil the ability and experience of accessing my #1 favourite forum.

I'm grateful to Admin and whoever is developing the app for creating a way to opt back to the old format, it would have just been better if the option were easier to find (would have saved me ranting and having a "dummy spit", but my rant has helped some local Australians who possibly wouldn't have found this thread here).

Seems we have an Admin here who actually takes on board feedback in either calm or rant form. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Hi Admin,

I have an older SII Samsung phone and it got me too when i tried to view Stromtroopers.

I've got it so I'm permanently signed on so I've haven't got any message so I might give that a go....

I too like the older version, I could see everything as it's set out like my desktop but this new version is rather Odd.

I don't think us Aussies like sudden surprises like this new skin...as I always say....if the old one ain't broke...don't fix it:mrgreen:

Cheers

wobbly_boot
Australia

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Just a thought.

Admin,

A little lateral thinking for you here....

When starting a thread like this about changes that affect lots of people across the whole forum, perhaps post an individual thread in all the Regional sectors with a basic outline of the topic and a link back to main thread on the topic at the same time you start the main thread.

Similar to what GW did with my "rant" thread I started in the Aussie section.
It will now be seen by people who don't read anything other than their own Regional posts and gives them the direct link back to this main thread on the topic.

GW is a massive asset to this forum by the way, and his reputation as the "Strom Guru" is known across many other bike forums.... at the very least you owe him a case of wine, or beer, or whatever it is he likes to drink... he is one of the main things that keeps me dedicated to this particular Strom forum. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Dear admin......couldn't handle new skin...back to original for me.......

Nice try..... thanks but no thanks:fineprint:

Cheers
Wobbly boot

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab S. Nice device, but I am getting a strange presentation of the Stromtrooper.com site when using either the Internet" or Google Chrome Internet browsers provided with the tablet. I downloaded Firefox, which gives me the normal, presentation, although it seems a bit slow than the other two.

I'd appreciate any input here that would explain what is going on, because I can't maneuver around normally. And it seems that the Stromtrooper site is the only one affected in this manner. Thanks in advance.

I am happy to report that I solved the issue I was having with the Tab S. After consulting with my local AT&T tech, I did the following: The onboard internet apps that come with the tablet are Chrome and "Internet," (uses the AT&T symbol) and both are mobile apps that produce this "enhanced" website for at least the Stormtrooper site. To the left of the top bar, there is a vertical set of dots that represent "settings." Tap on that and a box opens up that gives you the choice of using the standard website presentation. It will ask why and you click the appropriate circle (I tapped on "I just prefer the regular presentation--or similar wording) and voila! I was given the standard website layout for Stormtroopers.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Sorry guys but I hated it too. Most of the screen was ads and the scroll/page change feature on the bottom kept hiding or going away so I couldn't move to the next page.

Thanks for making a way to exit out of the new view.

Tim

·
Administrator
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's fine guys. It is not everyone's cup of tea but it an option for those who would like to use it. Keep up the feedback : )

~ dm, community support

·
Registered
619 Posts
Like a lot of this sort of thing, you'd get a lot less grief if the change wasn't foisted on people without their knowledge/consent. Advertise the wonderful new 'thing' and make it opt-in, then the old codgers who prefer 'it works' over 'its new!' won't get bent out of shape.
If its 'opt-out', you have to learn how to navigate the #*%[email protected]$%& new thing before you can opt out of it!!

Lucky for me, I was not affected as my eyephone looks like this:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts