StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I finally got out and about to do a little exploring on the strom like I've been dying to do. It's one reason I bought this bike, and wow, have I been missing some great roads/scenery right under my nose all these years! For someone with as little offroad experience as I have, I think the strom did great, especially considering my tires are shot. :green_lol:

But I quickly realized that some trails can get a little rougher than you anticipated quickly, and I was really cautious dodging big dips or rocks because of that oil filter just hanging out there! So now that I got a taste, the skid plate is definitely coming next. :mrgreen: So anyway, here's a few pics, hope y'all enjoy. :thumbup:

·
Registered
304 Posts
You've got some nice places to ride by you! So many choices for skid plates, I'm not about to recommend any one in particular but yea, that was one of my first additions too. Just curious what that silver bike is? Good luck with the farkling!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Skid Plates

My opinion is that there are two main considerations when it comes to selecting a skid plate. First, and the most important to me, was selecting a skid plate that does not mount to, or even touch, the engine. IMHO, this is just asking for engine damage...if you ride in the rough stuff. The second consideration is cost and appearance. Some are steel, some are aluminum, some are powder coated black and some have a natural finish. Steel is very heavy. The aluminum ones I have seen are very thick and seem very durable, but also cost a bit more.

I ended up with an Adventure Moto Stuff skid plate. I just installed it yesterday so I don't have any pics yet.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just curious what that silver bike is?
My buddy just picked that up about a month ago! That's a 2000 Aprilia Pegaso! They only brought it state side 3 yrs, 2000 being the last. It's the 650cc single rotax that BMW has used forever! Great bike, great motor! :thumbup:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well, I have a TouraTech skid plate that will be going up for sale. It is brand new. I installed a Yoshimura exhaust and then went to install the new plate... no-go. The Yoshimura mid-pipe doesn't allow for the rear bracket to bolt up.

So I have to either send this one back or sell it to someone who stull has the stock exhaust.

Send me a PM if interested.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Great shots, and that looks like some nice countryside.

It is good get out there away from the rat-race, and as you say see some great scenery right under your nose. I have been experiencing the same thing, and wondering why it took me so long to discover the fun that adventuring brings.

The skid/bash plate is a must. So many choices out there, some are built heavy duty, some are built for aesthetics, some are a blend of both. Personally I went for the Givi aluminium plate, which I find is a great blend of both. I love it when I hear rocks and sticks bouncing off the plate, I know it is doing the job. Plus when you ride with other bikes on the trails, often the bike in front will kick up rocks & sticks, meaning the rider behind often cops it. I know this from experience :mrgreen:

Keep up the exploring, as you get out often you will get more and more confident in yours (and the bikes) abilities. And new tyres will make all the difference, especially if you get something a bit more enduro oriented :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts