StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking a few guys to the UP in a few weeks, overnights tentatively in Traverse City, Paradise, Marquette, and Houghton. Any recommendations on roads(no gravel :thumbdown: as they have gsxr and bmw montana), places to stay or visit would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone know if H58 from Grand Marais to Munising is paved all the way?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
16,863 Posts
Awful flat and boring up there IMHO.......head Southeast instead, if you go be sure to have allot of heavy duty bug spray!!!! Sounds like you need a better group to ride with.....just sayin.:yesnod:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Currently sitting in a State Park 5 miles south of Paradise. Came up thru Bay City, Alpena, Mackinac Bridge, Sault Ste. Marie. UP is disappointing so far, flat with straight roads. Headed to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore then westward. Things should get better. Will keep you posted if you want.

We are camping and weather is good.

DC

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Will keep you posted if you want.
DC
Please do. Thanks and have a safe trip.

Brian,
I'm going with guys from my firehouse, yeah we'll be a motely looking group but we get along well. I was hoping the UP would offer some nice scenery and decent roads...............going to the Asheville area the last two years I was wanting to branch out. Thanks for the input. I know I can count on your honesty.

·
Registered
981 Posts
If you are wanting fun roads, but need to avoid gravel, the UP is somewhat limited. There is some nice scenery, and staying close to the lakeshore helps, but it's still pretty flat and straight. It gets better on the run up to Copper Harbor and around Pictured Rocks, but again, the most interesting roads in the area are gravel.

If you want some fun paved roads, go across into Canada, and take 17 N along Lake Superior out of the Soo, or head east from the Soo, and at Thessalon, head north on 129 (you can do a nice loop with 17, 101, and 129). Only potential problem is that gas stops can be limited, but I don't think there is any stretch with more than 60-70 miles between fuel stops.

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
I'll second that one. The Tunnel of Trees is a great ride, and actually, if you plan your trip up the coast, there are several nice stretches that follow the Lake Michigan coast line (M-63 from St. Joseph to South Haven is a great example). Depending on how big of a hurry you are in to get to the UP, following the coast may take you through a lot of little to medium sized towns, but the scenery can be great. If you are coming up from Indy, you could easily take 31 straight up until it ends, then take Napier Ave east to St. Joseph and then catch M-63 just north of town. Or you can jump off 31 at Buchanan, and follow Red Bud Trail along the river up to old 31 (which eventually runs into Napier, as well).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Road thru the Pictured Rocks National Lakeside is interesting but not worth the effort going to the UP. Most everything around Asheville, the BRP and the Smokies is far better. UP = flat with Mosquitos. Just entered Wisconsin and headed to Minneapolis to visit friends.

DC

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input guys. I was originally going to head towards Asheville but one of the guys had just been and I thought it would be cool to try somewhere different. Well, I've talked to both of the guys and Asheville is OK with them so............I think we are headed to Asheville for several nights and making day trips around the area. I suppose it would take a lifetime to get tired of that area so I better get at it. :thumbup:

Thanks again for all the input. On a road map the UP does look interesting so maybe some day. I definitely want to get to Sleeping Bear Dunes at some point.

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Super Moderator
16,863 Posts
A trip to Maine is also wonderful......and all states you pass through on the way are incredible!!!!!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Kevin,

+1 on most of the comments about the UP. The roads are not terribly interesting for a motorcycle rider -- pretty much flat and mostly straight. I like going there for the low traffic density and a very quite environment. I also like the pasties and smoked fish.

Now, if you're interested in a large area with good paved roads (compliments of the dairy industry), decent scenery and low traffic density, I would suggest you consider the southwestern quadrant of Wisconsin. Generally speaking, anything west of Madison and south of I-90 will be good riding. You can locate in a motel (I assume your group is not camping) in any of the decent sized cities -- Tomah, Sparta, Richland Center, Reedsburg, etc -- and do day rides from there. Just ask the locals about good places to eat -- by the way, The Badger Crossing in Cashton is worth the trip.

When I go that direction, I run I-74 to Bloomington, IL, then I-39 north to US 20 just south of Rockford, IL, then a two-lane road (like State Road 26) north into Wisconsin. That route keeps me out of Chicago and minimizes the amount of Interstate running.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts