StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Got a bit of a weird one and appreciate your input.
Pilot 3's on the dl1000 but the right side rear of the tyre is worn down to nothing the left side is pretty much new?
Fronts are like new both sides.

If it was a car I would say too much camber or toe.

And I dont prefer cornering my right side.
After 20 yrs of riding this is the first time I have seen something like this in a tyre.

What could cause this?

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Yeah sounds odd and the only thing i can come up with is the possibility that your rear axle is not straight and that the tyre is scraping due to it not being straight......other than that, you must be riding on very cambered roads.
I have read that cambered roads do have an effect on motorcycle tyres but not to that degree.

Is the nut on your rear axle tight and not moving when you apply power?

Are your rear wheel bearings in good nick?

Cheers

wobbly boot

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Get someone to follow you down a straight stretch of road to see if the bike is tracking off line.

Check rear axle alignment [if it is off your chain and rear sprocket will suffer quickly as well].

Check swing arm bearings for wear/play.

And stop doing doughnuts in Mc Donalds carparks..... [or at least do some in an anticlockwise direction to compensate wear] :green_lol:

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
In Australia the right side of motorcycle tyres travel significantly more distance in contact with the road than the left side. Riders also as a rule corner faster to the right than they do to the left putting more stress and wear on the tread.
Why?
On left side driving countries like Australia right turns have a larger radius than left turns so the bike actually travels further on its right side going around a right turn than it does on the left side of the tyre going around a left turn. Some estimates are than the actual distance travelled on the right side of the tyre could be up to double the distance travelled on the left side.
I seem to recall the the Road Pilots have an asymmetric compound where the sides of the tyre are softer than the centre. What you are seeing could simply be a byproduct of that assuming that you have a bike that is correctly set up. The problem with performance tyres is that when they go they go quickly, this applies to both cars and bikes so the first question I would ask is how many KM have you travelled on the tyre?

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
It was a perfectly legitimate question. I have no idea how anybody could diagnose a tyre wear issue from a photo so I was curious as to how you would go about it.
I assume from your answer that maybe you can't.
You may also have failed to notice that I have offered the most comprehensive and probably most accurate explanation of the cause of the problem unlike your contributions so far.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
It was a perfectly legitimate question. I have no idea how anybody could diagnose a tyre wear issue from a photo so I was curious as to how you would go about it.
I assume from your answer that maybe you can't.
You may also have failed to notice that I have offered the most comprehensive and probably most accurate explanation of the cause of the problem unlike your contributions so far.

I thought your "explanation" was a sarcastic joke... :confused:

I also think a picture of the wear discrepancy could add to the discussion, because I have never heard of the extreme difference the OP describes either...

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
In Australia the right side of motorcycle tyres travel significantly more distance in contact with the road than the left side. Riders also as a rule corner faster to the right than they do to the left putting more stress and wear on the tread.
Why?
On left side driving countries like Australia right turns have a larger radius than left turns so the bike actually travels further on its right side going around a right turn than it does on the left side of the tyre going around a left turn. Some estimates are than the actual distance travelled on the right side of the tyre could be up to double the distance travelled on the left side.
I seem to recall the the Road Pilots have an asymmetric compound where the sides of the tyre are softer than the centre. What you are seeing could simply be a byproduct of that assuming that you have a bike that is correctly set up. The problem with performance tyres is that when they go they go quickly, this applies to both cars and bikes so the first question I would ask is how many KM have you travelled on the tyre?
Bingo ! nothing unusual at all

this link had good explanations for different types of tire wear
Motorcycle Tire Wear

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I would expect it is mostly misaligned to the left, so that the right side of the tire is pushing instead of rolling straight. Being that you are riding on the right hand side of the road, left turns and road crowns should show more wear on the left side of the tire, not the right. I think the tire must be tracking way left.

Oops, I just saw you are in Oz. It could still be tracking left though and the road crown and turns would make it worse.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Guys ,
Thanks for your help KIWI your explanation seems to make sense.
Have a look at the pics and tell me what you see happening!

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how much PSI in it?
They are pumped to the recommended tyre pressures as per the tyres instructions, but there was one time in this tyres life that they were rode on 10psi under pressure , but that was picked up pretty fast and corrected after 1/2hr of corner/spur riding. As to why they went down one time so much I have no idea , ever since then they loose a couple of psi max between checks.I usually check tyres pressures when I oil chain which is about every 2 weeks.

I just found it unusual that as the tyres ends its life , one sides gone and the others got quite a bit more miles left in it :jawdrop:

Thanks
Mike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts