Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If I drive with constant speed in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear and around 2200-2500 RPMs, engine seems "erratic". Don't know exactly how say it, but in Denmark we call it "setting out". It is like the engine is not firing the same was on all ignitions even though load and speed is exactly the same.

Accellerating is just fine.

Ïs this normal on a wee?

DK650A from 2017, 1500 KM

Regards, Lars.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hi Lars -
Could this be slack in the throttle cables? The Wee has a very touchy throttle and the slightest input will make it seem "jerky" in response. This is amplified with slack in cables. Just a thought from what you described.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
If I drive with constant speed in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear and around 2200-2500 RPMs, engine seems "erratic". Don't know exactly how say it, but in Denmark we call it "setting out". It is like the engine is not firing the same was on all ignitions even though load and speed is exactly the same.

Accellerating is just fine.

Ïs this normal on a wee?

DK650A from 2017, 1500 KM

Regards, Lars.

The bike runs lean at smaller throttle openings makes the response touchy.

I would hazard to guess that you're lugging the motor in third at those RPMs.

The motor is much happier 4k and above. The only time I'm below 3k is in first going to second!

·
Premium Member
4,044 Posts
I'm with Spec. Mine is twitchy at low rpms too. Idles fine but try to run down the road at 2,000 rpm and twitchy/surgey/erratic. Been that way since new, cruises 3000-4000+ just fine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bike runs lean at smaller throttle openings makes the response touchy.

I would hazard to guess that you're lugging the motor in third at those RPMs.

The motor is much happier 4k and above. The only time I'm below 3k is in first going to second!
You think so? As long as you do not put engine load on the bike at those RPM's, I think it is ok. It does not sound as it is struggeling. If I am accelerating, I would certainly downshift.

Do you run it in 4K even if no load on engine?

Regards, Lars.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
You think so? As long as you do not put engine load on the bike at those RPM's, I think it is ok. It does not sound as it is struggeling. If I am accelerating, I would certainly downshift.

Do you run it in 4K even if no load on engine?

Regards, Lars.

I don't know why you would want to be in third at 2.5k RPM.

OK you shift down if you want to accelerate but why not be in second at 1k RPM higher? The motor will be much smoother and more responsive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It should feel erratic around 2250 - 2500 RPMs, the motor isn't designed to operate in that range. The fuel is quite lean in that rpm range. I find the minimum engine speed for the Vstrom/SV650 is 3500 RPMs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know why you would want to be in third at 2.5k RPM.

OK you shift down if you want to accelerate but why not be in second at 1k RPM higher? The motor will be much smoother and more responsive.
Yes, of coarse it will be more responsive in that RPM. When cruising at low speed I do not need responsiveness. The higher RPM will make more noise, use more gas and sound more aggressive. That is not what I need.

I want to drive in the correct RPMs and of coarse I do not want to overload the engine. Would you say what I am doing is wrong? I just consulted the owners manual. It says "shift to 3rd at speed 34 km/t" which I recall is not far from 2500 RPMs - I will check the next time I drive 34 km/t.

Regards, Lars.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yes, of coarse it will be more responsive in that RPM. When cruising at low speed I do not need responsiveness. The higher RPM will make more noise, use more gas and sound more aggressive. That is not what I need.

I want to drive in the correct RPMs and of coarse I do not want to overload the engine. Would you say what I am doing is wrong? I just consulted the owners manual. It says "shift to 3rd at speed 34 km/t" which I recall is not far from 2500 RPMs - I will check the next time I drive 34 km/t.

Regards, Lars.
I've had many motorcycles over my 50+ years of riding. I don't think your bike has a problem. I have found that I have to adapt to each bike I've owned. The bore stroke ratio of this engine suggests it won't like operating at too low RPMs. It will shift better, too.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The owners manual figures for shift points is like for your grandmother riding it. And yes it will tell you to shift at specified mph.

These are VERY low minimums. If you want to fix the problem try shifting at 3K and above and still enjoy 55 mpg.

Lugging the engine at low rpm and higher gears gets you worse mpg. With mixed riding town/ open road I consistantly get
over 50 mpg no matter if I'm reving it to 8 grand or cruising at 3500 rpm. So fuel economy is a mute point.

If you say it accellerates just fine thats because it likes it. And therefore does not like to be lugged in low rpm conditions.

·
Super Moderator
4,937 Posts
+2 Solo and Restorider. You have learned where your bike is not happy. Ignore the tach and feel how the bike likes to be ridden.
In the torque chart below the dyno operator did not even record below 3,000rpm. Obviously to him, the engine was not comfortable there i.e. not designed to operate smoothly in that rpm range.

Often manufacturers simply transpose parts of one manual directly into another.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,937 Posts
The excerpt below comes from the 2017 DL650 owners manual "Riding Tips".

Shift up into 6th gear at 72kph (45mph)??
I'm going to strongly suggest that is way to low for smooth operation. Keep those revs up - your bike will appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yes at these shift points and speeds it would be like a bucking bronco. Why are all these owners manuals like this ?

The normal operating range is not down low in the rev range. Technically this bike likes the middle to upper
rpm ranges in which to produce smooth operation and reward the owner with great power, fuel economy and pride of ownership.

Thats what it should say ^ And then show a picture of this >>>:mod2_scooter::mod2_scooter::mod2_scooter:

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
I treat mine like a Miata, which loves being run through the gears and Is built for it

·
Registered
537 Posts
I treat mine like a Miata, which loves being run through the gears and Is built for it
Nicad, it's funny you mention the similarites to the Miata, Well I'm the "Miata Man" I run a garage business making
Teflon based window guide kits for 1990 to 2005 model Miata's. To date I've sold more than 6750 kits in all 50 states
Puerto Rico and 24 other countries around the globe. All manufactured right in my garage.

I had a 91 Miata and it was hands down as close to what I experience on my Vstrom every time I ride. :laugh2:

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Nicad, it's funny you mention the similarites to the Miata, Well I'm the "Miata Man" I run a garage business making
Teflon based window guide kits for 1990 to 2005 model Miata's. To date I've sold more than 6750 kits in all 50 states
Puerto Rico and 24 other countries around the globe. All manufactured right in my garage.

I had a 91 Miata and it was hands down as close to what I experience on my Vstrom every time I ride. :laugh2:
I have a 1999 10 AE with Lotus Elise seats, hard dog roll bar, butterfly brace, frog arms, enkei RPF1's and very sticky RE71 R tires. What a fantastic car. Only fluid changes the last ten years. Curious about your window channel kit. Do you have a web page? I have some Honda special grease I bought to help speed up the power windows, but never got around to taking the door panels off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok... I will try to run it at higher RPM's.

Many places where I stay have a limit of 40 km/h - driving above 3500 RPMs Sounds so wrong in that low speed.

Having same mpg dring in 4th rather than 6th sounds weird to me... but it will come to a test

Regards, Lars.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Just for the record... Eventhough I am a beginner on MC, I am used to drive manual. Here in my area driving stick is by far the most common thing.

My last three cars has been automatic, but I have been driving manual from I was 18 to now 51

Regards, Lars.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts