StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:headbang: My 07 V has 11,000 miles and a rather unsettling clutch noise. It does not seem to the the EVIL Chutter that I have read about. I only hear the offending sound in neutral, stopped, with the clutch lever released. It sounds like a :furious:sewing machine. Pull in the clutch lever and the noise stops. It seems to be a little louder and annoying when the bike is warmed up. I have taken the bike to my local Suzuki dealer twice and both times have been told that the noise is "normal" and "common" with all years of 1000 V's and the only remedy is to replace the clutch basket; which will last about 3000 miles before the noise returns. The clutch works fine but the noise drives me BATTY. I have not seen any mention of this issue on the forum. Does anybody have experience with this issue? If so, what did you do? Or is my dealer correct? The V is such a well designed and engineered bike, I have a hard time believing that Suzuki would let something like this go without at least trying to design a solution.

·
Registered
522 Posts
My '07 does too

Mine does it aswell. It's just one of those quirks that resides in all the 1000's. if they didn't make horsepower, then it wouldn't do it!

Mine has the chudder issue, but that is soon to be fixed!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I was complaining about the same noise at a Gathering in 2008, the year I bought my K2.
A fellow V-Strommer suggested I fill with oil to the very top of the sight glass, being
careful to leave a small, visible air bubble. It has pretty much worked.

The rattle noise seems to be amplified for the rider by the V-Strom's cowl. It isn't
very noticeable to others a few feet away.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I was complaining about the same noise at a Gathering in 2008, the year I bought my K2.
A fellow V-Strommer suggested I fill with oil to the very top of the sight glass, being
careful to leave a small, visible air bubble. It has pretty much worked.

The rattle noise seems to be amplified for the rider by the V-Strom's cowl. It isn't
very noticeable to others a few feet away.
You are using the oil as a dampner. Pretty darn good idea.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Don't fret it DL Steve. They all do it. Ride it like you stole it. If you are one of the unknown percentage whose bike develops the "chudder" issue, either real or perceived, deal with it then. But not until then. You may be pleasantly surprised. :mod_biggrin:

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,404 Posts
DLSteve, your dealer is more or less correct. If you can live with the noise it is not something that will leave you stranded. A new basket should fix it. Like the dealer said it is likely to come back. What you are hearing is the inner plate in the clutch basket assembly "rattling" when not under load. Pulling in the clutch lever stabilizes the basket from the tension on the throwout mechanism. This quiets the basket somewhat. There is a fix for the problem that is long term. It does require a disassembly and modification of a stock basket. Whether it is done by me or a few others that have experience in this the work involves fixing the inner plate so that it cannot come loose again. There is a lot of other things done also but this directly relates to your noise. While you say you don't have chudder, I would bet that you would be very surprised at the difference a modified basket would make to the smoothness of your Vee! You can pm me if you care for more details. Modified baskets can be cheaper than a new replacement, depending on where you buy them.

·
Registered
237 Posts
DLSteve, your dealer is more or less correct. If you can live with the noise it is not something that will leave you stranded. A new basket should fix it. Like the dealer said it is likely to come back. What you are hearing is the inner plate in the clutch basket assembly "rattling" when not under load. Pulling in the clutch lever stabilizes the basket from the tension on the throwout mechanism. This quiets the basket somewhat. There is a fix for the problem that is long term. It does require a disassembly and modification of a stock basket. Whether it is done by me or a few others that have experience in this the work involves fixing the inner plate so that it cannot come loose again. There is a lot of other things done also but this directly relates to your noise. While you say you don't have chudder, I would bet that you would be very surprised at the difference a modified basket would make to the smoothness of your Vee! You can pm me if you care for more details. Modified baskets can be cheaper than a new replacement, depending on where you buy them.
Wow... a suggestion to buy a modified clutch basket. That's a shocker from the local modified clutch basket salesman. (written with heavy sarcasm)

DL Steve, Your bike is normal. Ride it and quite worrying about the sounds.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
My Wee does the same thing when idling in neutral with the clutch released....it's a sign my bike does not like to be idle(d) :mrgreen:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fellow Stromers,
Thanks for all the feedback. Ear plugs do help, especially when I roll up on a pack of Harleys, but the clutch noise still bugs the #!*+ out of me :thumbdown: I love the bike and just want to take good care of it.

Be safe out there

·
Registered
360 Posts
Steve, most bikes I've had make some sort of clutch rattle at idle. Most of my bikes have been four cylinder jobs and idle very smoothly so the noise is less than the Strom. The V twin stroms tend to pulse more at idle and this jangles the clutch springs and plates and bit more making more noise than a four. As the guys are saying, don't worry about it, all normal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sewing Machine

: I only hear the offending sound in neutral, stopped, with the clutch lever released. It sounds like a :furious:sewing machine. Pull in the clutch lever and the noise stops.
I just noticed it on my new to me 2005 and it gave me concern; I was not sure how to describe the sound, the comparison to a sewing machine is quite apt!

I will have plenty of opportunity to get used to the quirks (all bikes have 'em) and sounds of the Vee on a week-long trip to Yellowstone next month; I was worried about some of the sounds and wondering if it would make it, but after pouring through the forums "...everything is coming up Milhouse!"

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
DLSteve..my 2007 superVee does it. Did since 3,000 miles. I am at 53,000 now...I bought the sled from my brother and so far...no Kaboom. Mine doesn't sound like a sewing machine though....more like a diesel with no oil. Perfect sound with clutch loaded.

I plan on sending mine to realshelby...thanks by the way for your info RShelby(I didn't consider it self serving at all).

But, mine will be dissassembled when the snow flies this winter. It doesn't bother me enough and I wanted to sort out some EFI issues first...which I have done now. Next, the little picky things like noises. By 100,000, I will have this bike sorted out proper.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
i solved the problem by NEVER putting it in neutral. Vee's don't like to just sit. :fineprint:

·
Registered
230 Posts
If the chudder noise and 3500-4500 vibration don't really bother me, is there any reason to fix it? As in, will not worrying about the "chudder" eventually cause something to fail?

·
Registered
294 Posts
If you think it's noisy listen to a Ducati with a dry clutch, you won't even notice your Strom anymore.

I was a bit annoyed with the clutch/gearbox rumble at idle also but now I'm used to it, and to be honest, it's gotten much quieter lately, not sure why but I'm not complaining. I suspect the sync of the throttle bodies and the idle speed plays a part in how loud it is.

It is caused by the cadence of the V-twin firing order and the large gears in the transmission rocking back and forth against the power pulses with no load on them. If you leave it in gear and pull in the clutch it's quiet.

Just think of it like a big diesel truck, parts big enough to get the job done without breaking........ and as somebody mentioned, the Harleys will surely drown you out anyway, LOL.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts