StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have really needed a steering stabilizer for the kind of riding I do on the Vee. Only recently has that decision become concrete, as I caught a tank slapper after losing traction powering out of a turn.

I do not ever plan on spending 500 something dollars on something like a stabilizer. Ohlins has cheaper dampers than the Scott's one for the Strom. Not that it is a bad one, but to me that is ridiculous. Also, i have my iPhone ram ball mount in the middle of the handlebars, and I do not want to move it anywhere else. So begins the acquisition of my Shindy Daytona universal steering stabilizer.

For $147, I received the all aluminum adjustable stabilizer with 43mm mounting kit delivered to my door. It is a hydraulic unit with 7 adjustments on it, frame and fork mount. This will possibly be an easier installation than a Scott's stabilizer, but we shall see.

I will be uploading pictures tonight of the kit and where I will mount it. I have yet to mess with it, as I got home very late last night. It is a pretty cool unit though, very sleek and low-pro. I would like to see if it was a good buy. The reviews are mixed, but most are from sport bike owners, so I don't think I'll need as much performance as they do. I just want something to feel more confident with the throttle around turns, and on gravel roads as well. As we all know, the VStrom is not so stable over 100 mph, and on these long Texas interstates, it's annoying and unnerving to say the least.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I purchased my first Scotts Damper after breaking my collar bone.

That break almost cost me the best job in the world and that made the Scotts Damper look cheap.

·
Premium Member
2,907 Posts
Great!!...........anticipation waiting to see what you come up with. :thumbup:

Lots of Suzuki GSXR Steering Dampers on Ebay.........for $19.99 and up, but you would need to fabicate a mounting system. Might be able to use the Shindy Stabilzer Mtg Collars (at $35) and a used Gixxer damper for cheap??

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great!!...........anticipation waiting to see what you come up with. :thumbup:

Lots of Suzuki GSXR Steering Dampers on Ebay.........for $19.99 and up, but you would need to fabicate a mounting system. Might be able to use the Shindy Stabilzer Mtg Collars (at $35) and a used Gixxer damper for cheap??
The problem with stock suzuki dampers is that they suck. The entire reason they make aftermarket ones. This stabilizer is not as good as the Scott's damper from what I read in reviews, but it is functional and cheap, and better than stock, the entire reason most buy them is to switch from the crappy stock ones.

On a side note, it's funny how we take stock parts like brakes, forks, shocks am stabilizers from other bikes because they are "better", when the reason most people get rid of those parts is to buy better aftermarket parts, since the stock parts "suck".

·
Premium Member
2,907 Posts
The problem with stock suzuki dampers is that they suck. The entire reason they make aftermarket ones. This stabilizer is not as good as the Scott's damper from what I read in reviews, but it is functional and cheap, and better than stock, the entire reason most buy them is to switch from the crappy stock ones.

On a side note, it's funny how we take stock parts like brakes, forks, shocks am stabilizers from other bikes because they are "better", when the reason most people get rid of those parts is to buy better aftermarket parts, since the stock parts "suck".

Hmmmm....I didn't know this (that the GSXR dampers suck).......I figured they were selling them from all the 1,000's of wrecked 600-750-1000-1300 Gixxers?? Maybe they were all wrecked in the past due to a failed damper......:green_lol:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmm....I didn't know this (that the GSXR dampers suck).......I figured they were selling them from all the 1,000's of wrecked 600-750-1000-1300 Gixxers?? Maybe they were all wrecked in the past due to a failed damper......:green_lol:
Well I can't be sure that they suck if I haven't used one, but they won't fit on our bike as easily as an aftermarket one, as they are slightly too short. I think you're on to something with the wrecked bikes though. As funny as it is, it seems very believable...

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
I suppose everyone puts a different value on what they consider to be important. Personally if I were to determine that a steering damper was something that I felt I needed on a bike then I would purchase the best one I could find and not the cheapest one I could find. I guess that's just me though. Seems that half the topics on this forum contain the word "Cheapest" instead of "Best". To each their own. I hope it works for you.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I suppose everyone puts a different value on what they consider to be important. Personally if I were to determine that a steering damper was something that I felt I needed on a bike then I would purchase the best one I could find and not the cheapest one I could find. I guess that's just me though. Seems that half the topics on this forum contain the word "Cheapest" instead of "Best". To each their own. I hope it works for you.
It's MUCH worse on the Beemer forums, Scott. :yesnod:

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Would not the "best", be the cheapest solution to a problem that works?

I am definitely tuned into the success of this install. I want a stabilizer also, but not a $500 part.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
It's MUCH worse on the Beemer forums, Scott. :yesnod:
Yet another reason I have no interest in a BMW.

Would not the "best", be the cheapest solution to a problem that works?
Not in my book. No more than a "DOT Approved" helmet is the "Best" helmet simply because it meets the letter of the law.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
There are lines to draw when it comes to being safe and being thrifty, but i don't think that this is crossing that line. I would put that line more towards those that tighten their steering head bearings further than advised to prevent wobble at high speed. I just want something that works and looks semi decent.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
We all look at this differently, my friends thought I was mad buying $300 or $400 MX boots for my young son when he might only get to wear them 5 or 6 times before he had grown out of them, the cost of the boots was less than a days pay and if the wife or I had to take 6 weeks off work to look after the son while he recovered from a broken leg we would have lost a lot more than the price difference between the cheap boots and the top quality ones.

Now what if I told you a Scott's Damper would only cost you $200 or could even save you money ?

You buy the damper for $500 and use it on your bike, before you sell your bike you remove the damper, fit it to your next bike or sell the damper for $300, you get to use a great damper that may just stop you dumping your bike on the road or a track and that in turn can save big $$$ and down time.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just finished installation of the damper, it was quite a feat for this bike. I didn't have much space to work with, but I got what I wanted.

Attachments

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Trial & error unit placement/ bike modification time: 4 hours
Actual install time: 1.5 hours
Total working time: 6 hours (with cleanup)

ImageUploadedByMO Free1373317039.054845.jpg

Removed/ repositioned all of the front plastic, disconnecting only the blinkers. I had the hardest time getting the part to fit, due to the fact that I got one size too small. This bike needs size large, not standard, but I did get it to fit and function correctly w/o using full stroke of the damper.

Please excuse my horrible wiring, I was also in the process of making a harness for my projector retrofit I installed a while back, all the wires were everywhere from sizing.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1373316972.403595.jpg

This is where I ended up installing the unit, as I wanted access to the adjustment knob easily. When steering is all the way to the left, the knob protrudes through the front plastic as shown below.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1373316939.604541.jpg

This way, I can adjust the steering easily (off the bike) if needed. There was no way in hell I could get the damper to mount up top w/o making an adapter for the steering head and handle bars. I wanted to frame mount it, but it wasn't long enough to do it below the tank, and most standard/ sport bikes do not have the tank hanging over the frame, so I left that alone.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1373316909.874641.jpg
ImageUploadedByMO Free1373317004.149837.jpg

This is the finished product mounted, and I must say it functions well, I only got to ride around the block due to rain, improper gear, and slight starvation (no breakfast/ lunch) but I will ride the highway to the bank to check it out further an adjust the damping as necessary.

In review of the install, this product was extremely time consuming to install. Although it required very little modification, I do recommend purchasing the Scott's damper due to simplicity of install, on the fly adjustability, and lastly IMO, superior reliability/ performance. Plus it looks cooler anyways.

Plain & simple; I would go back and buy the Scott's damper if I could.

I'm glad to be the guinea pig on "value" farkles, it shows with little doubt, what works/ performs/ installs better, so anyone can make a decision based on their budget and what they want from their bike.

The pictures didn't load correctly in the last post, so I put more here

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Good work.

Well done.

Love to see thinking outside the square.

I don't see making adjustments on the fly as a big advantage, before I have fitted a damper I have made the bike the best I could get it to be.

I have not used the damper to cover up a problem I have tried to fix it first.

I then set each of my Scott's till I was happy and then left them alone.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Good work.

Well done.

Love to see thinking outside the square.

I don't see making adjustments on the fly as a big advantage, before I have fitted a damper I have made the bike the best I could get it to be.

I have not used the damper to cover up a problem I have tried to fix it first.

I then set each of my Scott's till I was happy and then left them alone.
Thank you Rolex, I believe that is what I will do as well, with setting once an leaving it. I had no actual problems like decel wobble or excessive vibration, I fixed all of that already.

I noticed when riding, the bike feels solid, predictable. It greatly reduced vibration felt on the bars, traveling on grooved pavement, and I feel so much more confident in low an high speed turns. I took the bike on a short single-track in a quarry by my house, and I find it much more stable, like riding a giant dirt bike, the damper soaks up all the bumps. The steering felt like car steering, very smooth, I love the damping effect it gives when turning, and I feel much safer on bad roads.

I will add this as #1 on my must-have farkle list, with a top case as #2, and a radar as #3.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I'm watching!
I have a Scotts on my 1000.
While I did not like the price I did find it paid for itself after bouncing off a dead Armadillo in the dark in Missouri.
I'm interested in this and may do this instead of the full Scotts setup on my 650.
Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts