StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the 10" Universal Laminar Lip on a V-Strom 1000? On my 2007 I have the windshield in the highest position and I just barely get some buffeting at high speed (~75 mph) in traffic. Thought it wouldnt take much to improve it, and I could move the Lip to other bikes in the future.

Thanks
Will
'07 VStrom 1000, '93 CBR900RR

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have not used the "Laminar Lip" branded product. I do, however, use the "Windstrom" spoiler (i.e. another "lip" type product). It works great and I can transfer it from Bike to Bike. It does not require any gluing or screwing. 2 "U" shaped cutouts that are lined in some type of Felt in the lip fit over the top of the Windscreen. Two plastic screws are then tightened with the Felt as a spacer.

I have used on 4 different Bikes in the last 4 years.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Banks for your reply. The Windstrom lip sounds like a good alternative. Sure would be easier to change than the glue on type.
But I went ahead and took the dive on the Laminar Lip a few days ago. I'll let you all know how it works out.
Will

·
Registered
522 Posts
Will: I hope it works for you. I have heard good things about the Laminar Lip. If I hadn't had the Windstrom, that is what I would have done. Regardless, I think you will be very pleased with the result.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 10" Universal Laminar Lip does seem to do the job on my 2007 V-Strom 1000. with it mounted about 1 3/4 " above the top of the screen edge, and the windshield on the top position, I get no buffeting unless I am at high speed and the wind is coming a certain direction. It shows a difference at moderate speeds even. I havent been able to try it yet in heavy interstate traffic yet.

All in all, I'm happy, and the price is right at $84 plus shipping.
:hurray:

·
Super Moderator
4,629 Posts
What is this buffeting of which people speak? I have a Givi screen and I get none. I did a couple of quick runs up to 170km/h (105mph) indicated and experienced no instability or buffeting. Admittedly, there were no other vehicles anywhere nearby (country road) so there was no turbulence from them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might not be getting any buffeting due to the advantages of the Givi screen over stock. On my stock '07 V-Strom 1000, I get almost unbearable side to side wind shaking of my helmet (buffeting) at 70 to 80 mph, depending on the windshield position and wind direction. I am 5' 8" tall and my helmet is just high enough into the windstream to be trouble.
But the Laminar Lip cures all that.

Enjoy the ride!
Will

·
Super Moderator
4,629 Posts
I'm 5' 11" (1.8m) and I can just see over the top of the Givi screen on standard mounts. I get absolutely no buffeting. I'm using an Arai Vector helmet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts