StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I'm fro Brazil and I'm really having a hard time trying to figure out what is happening with my 2015 V-Strom. I've already contacted two authorized dealers plus other mechanics, and nobody was able to solve the puzzle, maybe someone here can help me. What is happening:

1st case:
  • the motorcycle is perfect on the road or in the city when I'm having the air flowing
  • when I'm on a heavy traffic on a very hot day, the motorcycle starts to accelerate when on neutral. when I touche the throttle bar, it stops and goes normal
  • when it's really really hot, using the throttle bar doesn't work. I need to change gear and hold the clutch or even turn the ignition off to stop accelerating
  • when I turn to a road with good airflow, the problem ends
2nd case
  • after a normal use, without the above-presented problems, after parking for 15 or 20 minutes, the motorcycle doesn't hold the motor on idle... I need to keep accelerating, if not motor dies
  • after some minutes on the road, the problem ends
Something (a sensor or an actuator) seems to be failing when it gets hot. I'm not sure which one, and after several unsuccessful tentatives I'm getting really frustrated with the situation

I'm new on the forum, and I've tried to search for related problems without success. Sorry if you already discussed this somewhere/sometime and by my poor English, but I really rely on some guidance from any of you that can help me

Thank you

Marcos

-

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
maybe the throttle position sensor: TPS

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have heard of something similar happening and part of the issue is the lack of lube on the throttle linkages on the throttle bodies. I think that the pivot points of the butterflies might also suffer from this. I am not 100% on my facts here as I was only overhearing a conversation. I think that the suggestion above of the TPS requiring adjustment might also be relevant. I am not sure that I would tackle this issue myself as there may be special equipment required.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
The 2014-2016 DL1000's still used throttle cables (not throttle by wire / computer controlled). I would be suspicious of the throttle body pivots as previously mentioned. Also, while you are under the tank and airbox checking things out, be sure that the boots between the throttle body and the airbox are sealed correctly. (on both sides of each boot)

Also recommend checking the throttle cable tension. There is one cable that opens the throttle bodies and another the pulls them shut. There is a spec for their adjustment and the amount of slack between them.

Also as previously posted, confirm that there isn't any undue stress on the throttle cables. With the engine idling turn the handle bars from lock to lock. There should be no change in the engine rpm. If there is, something is tugging them. Find it and eliminate it.

Question for you: when you rotate the throttle handle and release it, does it snap back to the fully closed position quickly and all by itself? If not, could be the cables or the throttle handle itself...

Not holding idle pushes my thoughts toward the fuel control systems since the throttle cables getting stuck should not cause it to stall at idle.

As for the throttle position sensor adjustment... The equipment for setting it is built into the ECU and dash display. There is a service connector. You can get the switch for putting it in dealer mode for about $20, although probably not in Brazil. You can short the two specific wires on the connector without the fancy switch to enter dealer mode. Then on the dash you will see a -C00 if it is correctly adjusted, a _C00 if it is too low or if it is too high the line in front of it will be at the top of the zeros. Finding the correct wires might take some googling, but on my 2014 the two to be connected together are both on the same side of the connector and one of them is ground (probably black). If I recall correctly without looking it up, the other is white with a red stripe. There is another wire in that same connector that is the same color (don't use that one - only use the one that is on the same edge of the connector and right next to the black one). Again, this is on my 2014, I do not know if the 2015 is the same, BE SURE TO VERIFY before connecting them.

You will need the security torqx bit to loosen and adjust the throttle position sensor. Found at the top of the rear most throttle body.

Also check that the wires from the throttle position sensor area have not rubbed through and shorted to the tank. This was an issue for the 2014's that should have been correcred for the 2015, but you never know. The 2014 fix was to zip tie the wires and apply a sticker to the underside of the tank. This could easily have been screwed up at some point.

Other sensors that could affect it is the airbox temperature (intake air temp) and there are some vacuum sensors on the airbox too. I would check all the connectors nearby for a solid connection. Sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting will help a sketchy / mildly corroded connection. Be sure to do that with the ignition off to avoid setting error codes.

Remember that you may have more than one issue going on at the same time. These two symptoms you describe may or may not be related...

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
There is also an actuator on the exhaust pipe on the right side just as the pipe comes out from under the engine. I've never had any issues with mine so I don't know what type of symptoms to expect from it. It is worth a quick look... When you turn on the ignition (before starting) that valve should cycle as a self test.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Strange question but is the tank cap maybe not letting any air into or out of the tank/the vent is blocked? I am thinking as the tank heats up it pushes fuel into the engine and when the tank cools it starves the engine. Not sure this is possible in a fuel injected engine, just speculating.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts