StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new (to me) 2piece Roadcrafter yesterday, so I had to try it out with a '3 bipper' ride - that's the fuel doohickeys on the display.
Sizing is ridiculous but the fit is good....with one small exception.
Caution: graphic mental image follows.
Now, I can pretty well kick as high as those gals in Las Vegas, so mounting the 'Strom has never been a problem, uphill or down, even with a 31inch inseam. Until today.
I swung my leg up and promptly booted the saddle from the bottom. I then manually picked up my leg and this time booted the back Kappa box.
Sod this, said I, grasping myself by the crotch and thigh, I finally managed to get my leg over the saddle. Now, all this happened in my underground garage, hence no audience, but on the return trip, I had to start infront of a bus line-up in Whiterock.
Suave and debonair like Fred, or rather Ginger, I sidled up to the bike and tried swinging my legover from parallel. No go. Finally, I had to resort to the crotch and ass lift method.
There must be a better way.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Traveler, been there done that. Don't bend like I used to so I just step up on the footpeg if the bike is on sidestand.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Grab the front brake, left foot on peg, up and over. I feel better about doing this on the centerstand, but I know some folks do it on the sidestand.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Time to get some 'Kiss' style platforms!:p
Now there's an idea! Preferably in Silver sparkle, no doubt.
I tried this morning with my ancient leather pants on and had no problems, so it is the constriction of the 'Stich....... should they make a "Crotch extension zip-in" elipse piece do you think?
P'raps I should check www.codpiece.com - no, dammit, that's a webhosting site.
OH well, the footpeg swivel method is next.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I would just ride it sidesaddle.:D

·
Registered
285 Posts
Got a new (to me) 2piece Roadcrafter yesterday, so I had to try it out with a '3 bipper' ride - that's the fuel doohickeys on the display.
Sizing is ridiculous but the fit is good....with one small exception.
Caution: graphic mental image follows.
Now, I can pretty well kick as high as those gals in Las Vegas, so mounting the 'Strom has never been a problem, uphill or down, even with a 31inch inseam. Until today.
I swung my leg up and promptly booted the saddle from the bottom. I then manually picked up my leg and this time booted the back Kappa box.
Sod this, said I, grasping myself by the crotch and thigh, I finally managed to get my leg over the saddle. Now, all this happened in my underground garage, hence no audience, but on the return trip, I had to start infront of a bus line-up in Whiterock.
Suave and debonair like Fred, or rather Ginger, I sidled up to the bike and tried swinging my legover from parallel. No go. Finally, I had to resort to the crotch and ass lift method.

ROTFLMAO, you could just carry an electric cattle prod with you and hit yourself in the rear with it when ready to "mount" the bike. You might be propelled completely over the bike though so practice would be in order first, hehe.

JDP

JDP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Stitch

I had a similar problem in my Stitch getting on my FJR until I bent my leg while swinging over. My straight leg kept hitting the top box.
(I'm waiting for the ABS models to reach New England.)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a similar problem in my Stitch getting on my FJR until I bent my leg while swinging over. My straight leg kept hitting the top box.
(I'm waiting for the ABS models to reach New England.)
OK that does it....if I have to bend my leg to mount the beast, rather than approaching in a regulation goose step, followed by a high-kick remembered from my days infront of the barre at the ballet studio, then I'm trading the VStrom in for a 100cc Step-Through Moped Honda Dream. Or a Dan Gurney Alligator. http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/dan_gurney_alligator_motorcycle/

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I personally approach the Strom w/a slow jog, a twirl, then a double back flip right into the saddle. Since the 'Stitch has a rather "official" look bystanders usually applaud me. :eek: Now, for that gyration you mentioned... have you tried bringing your right knee towards your chest then clutching your ankle w/your right hand and guiding your leg over the seat??

Stromette

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a few friends who are RV'ers. They have automatic retracting stairs on their rigs... open the door, they slide out. Winnebago has a kit that will fit the DL1000, Part# 2390-ST5.

Also thought about installing a mini fridge in my top-box... anyone tried that?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Watch the standing on the footpeg method whilst on the sidestand. On a recent 3 day trip I used that method because the passenger seat had a large pack strapped to it. My bike now leans much further over so obviously something bent.

The plus is because of the increased lean I can get onto the bike by just thrusting my right leg straight over the seat. Bad news is that on some slopes and fuel stations the fully laden bike is very hard to get upright.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
have you tried bringing your right knee towards your chest then clutching your ankle w/your right hand and guiding your leg over the seat??
I don't bend that way anymore. It's easier to grab the pantleg behind me and coax the leg over the seat that way. I'm usually fine with a regular leg swing except when the Pelican boxes are mounted.

M

·
0 Posts
Maybe that little red stool we all had as a kid. You know for the bathroom?

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,040 Posts
You could put outriggers on, then you could step on the peg. :)

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Grab the front brake, left foot on peg, up and over. I feel better about doing this on the centerstand, but I know some folks do it on the sidestand.

the problem with using the peg as a step when on the sidestand is not one of doing it occasionally but as a regular habit, it puts stresses on the sidestand and sidestand mount and fasteners that they weren't designed for

over time metal fatigues (faster than you may think) and now your bike is leaning at a 20° tilt instead of 10°, your sidestand is loose and sloppy, and in hard corners the sidestand drags

don't ask how I know ;)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts