StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never seen that before on any of my bikes. Is that a "known" issue for normal street use on a 2011 DL650? I'm not going around right-handed race tracks all day :smile2:

IMG_9244.jpg
IMG_9246.jpg

It's a Michelin Pilot Road 4. If my notes are correct and I didn't miss a set of tires, this one has 30,000km on it after 5 years.
Coming to think of it, I got lazy in checking the tire pressure every few months because the previous set never lost any air.
When I noticed a slight wobble going around corners I checked and twice the pressure was around 17psi instead of the normal 32psi I put in. Could that be the reason?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Correction: the previous set of tires lasted 16 tkm, so I must've missed a generation in my logs and this one would have about the same mileage by now.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Here's my SWAG at the problem.

I've seen this due to the 'crown' on the road. In the US it's on the left side of the tire. Since you guys drive 'left' I would expect to see more wear on the right.

·
Registered
925 Posts

I've seen this due to the 'crown' on the road. In the US it's on the left side of the tire. Since you guys drive 'left' I would expect to see more wear on the right.
Its not really the "crown", which varies greatly, but driving on the right side means left turns have more linear feet than rights. Opposite scenario for those driving on the left. The wear is usually more noticeable on the front.
However, if you have never noticed this before there could be a suspension or bearing problem.

·
Super Moderator
4,519 Posts
The recommended tyre pressure for the rear is 36psi, when COLD and so you have had this tyre underinflated throughout its life. This can cause all sorts of poor wear characteristics. Even worse if you have checked them when warm.
BTW 38psi is FAR better for handling and wear than 34psi.

·
Registered
766 Posts
17 psi? Really?

You've been running that tire almost flat. At highway speeds it must have been overheating greatly from way too much flex.

Wierd tire wear is not surprising given that.

..............shu
That's a Catastrophic Blow-Out just waiting to happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
Tire leak or not checking pressure often enough?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
17 psi? Really?

You've been running that tire almost flat. At highway speeds it must have been overheating greatly from way too much flex.

Wierd tire wear is not surprising given that.

..............shu
Thanks for all the replies! I thought I would get an email if there was a reply, but I guess I have to explicitly subscribe to a thread, even if I start it? Rookie mistake..

So yes, I'm aware that the tyre was almost flat and how dangerours that can be. I've been using the bike for city traffic only. Back in the days I was doing many longer trips and highways as well, but then I would check the tyres beforehand, of course.

These tyres held the pressure up for way more than 12 months of me checking every month or so. At some point one gets complacent, I guess, if nothing changes.

So thanks again for the feedback! Next time I'll up the pressure to 36 psi.

·
Registered
196 Posts
These tyres held the pressure up for way more than 12 months of me checking every month or so. At some point one gets complacent, I guess, if nothing changes.
That's impressive. I check my every few days, but it's a habit developed from my other bike (DR650). It has tubed tires and they continually need topping off.

...........shu

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Tire pressure sensor kits are about $40 now and that's probably less than the cost of the shortened tire life.

I also run PR4's on notoriously abrasive chip roads and don't see that, so I'll also go with you got that tire REALLY hot at some point.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Might be a good idea to check your rear wheel alignment, too. If it is toed to the left from an inaccurate chain adjustment you could see more wear on the right side of the tire.

Going up a couple of lbs on the front can help the tire last longer by slowing down the cupping of the tire. I always set the rear at 40ish (like the 2-up recommendation) even though I never ride 2-up. I usually have some weight in the bags.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
22 Posts
My old Beemer would wear the left side of the front tire so much that I had to replace the front as often as the rear. Beemer guys said it was the crown of the road or left turns were longer causing more wear, but.....My Versys was not that severe. I could almost get twice the mileage on the front as opposed to the rear. Some of this has to be weight or factors I can't pretend to understand but I left the BMW crowd with negative feelings about German engineering.
While I really enjoyed the Versys it never made me smile like my new Wee.

·
Registered
21,984 Posts

not due to crown, simply the fact we drive on right side of road and curves to left are longer than curves to right

this guy explains it better than me

Motorcycle Tire Wear

·
Registered
14,236 Posts
"limits pressure buildup by heat of operation to about 3 PSI."

I had tire pressure monitors on my 800ST BMW. I didn't notice a pressure read out difference from cold to warm tires. It read the 36/40 I ran in the tires unless for some reason, like a flat, it lost air.
i generally check the tire pressure once a week.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
The BMW tpm do compensate for temperature change and report a calculared adjusted pressure.

Tires do warm up and increased temperature does increase pressure, one of the very basic laws of physics. I have garmin tpm's and they show actual pressure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts