StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the correct 'section' to post in but...has anyone tried cycling shorts or some other kind of padded underwear for riding. I find that the seat on my 2011 just kills my 'prostate' when riding ! It's very sore just where the seam of my riding jeans digs in just behind my 'boys ! Any advice guys ? This is spoiling my enjoyment of my Wee....H.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have tried it last year, and liked it, in the beginning of the summer, before I was used to ride 6-7 hours in a day.

·
Registered
176 Posts
What I use is triathlon shorts. Not as much padding as regular cycling shorts, but just enough, it is a compromise that that sport requires

·
Registered
55 Posts
I always wear bicycle shorts under my pants on long rides, raises the comfort level a notch. I wear regular shorts with the chami in the crotch.

·
Registered
652 Posts
It helps for long rides wearing the cyclist shorts with the padding. I did that on my GSXR on a long trip, helped out a lot, but that bike still wasn't anything but painful on the 8-9 hour days.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I find that it isn't the padding that is the issue but the heat generated causing chaffing. I have been using Champion Sport Performance boxer briefs with dry technology and have been loving them. It's like body armor for your crotch. PS, I also spray the boys with foot/jock itch powder to help keep things dry.

I ride a Wee with stock gel seat.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If I plan on riding more than 3 hours, I will wear my cycling shorts. Total comfort with the chamois in the needed area.

I use Louis Garneau brand as my buddy is the cycling Rep for them. You wont regret using them.

Hope this helps,
Craig.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Underwear helps, but switching from kevlar jeans to leather on the long rides made the biggest difference. I guess sitting on kitchen scourers can't help but chafe eventually.

Pete

·
Registered
124 Posts
Seams and tight fitting clothing will make your ride uncomfortable. Just say no to whitie tighies. The seams create "Hot Spots", areas of irritation.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Commando !!! lol, yep that's the way to go ! Ithink i will be looking for a pair of cycling shorts since they have so many recommendations. I normally wear 'Draggin' jeans but they are the reason i'm sore after a ride. Also have a pair of 'Fieldsheer' riding pants but havent worn them without jeans underneath, Might try that next. thanks to everyone for their advice,i was beginning to think i was the only one with this problem !...H.:thumbup:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I wear Exofficio boxer briefs, they are much cooler and wick moisture better than anything else I've tried but I think the biggest help for me was to stop wearing jeans, I have a few pairs of convertible hiking pants with the legs that zip off that I wear under my overpants, they are way more comfortable than jeans and much less restrictive. I zip the legs off in hot weather and wear them under my mesh pants, very comfortable.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Aside from being uncomfortable, jeans are one of the most un-safe things you could wear for abrasion & impact resistance.

I have 3 pairs of cycling type shorts w/chamios for long (several day) rides.
Doug

·
Registered
15,052 Posts
I tried the gel seat but even with the Air Hawk it was too hard...I'm getting old.
I wear Aerostitch Roadcrafter pants and usually REI cargo pants under them with regular bikini skivvies. Comfort hasn't been a problem.
Never tried the Bicycle shorts but that extra padding might be the comfort enhancer you are looking for.
Real men wear leather chaps commando style though! Don't forget the fringed vest too!

·
Administrator
16,969 Posts
No cotton and no seams is paramount for comfort, I like underarmor as my go to choice for under gear but there are other great choices as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
what I've found works

As others have said, boxer briefs work well for most rides.
You can pickup athletic boxer briefs at places like Marshalls or TJMax that are more breathable.
For mutli-day rides, I bought padded biker shorts - places like PricePoint sell them at reasonable prices.

Products like Goldbaum Bodyglide or MonkeyButt help too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts