Strom Trooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Noob here, so if this post isn't in the proper forum, skewer me good.

I'm looking to add some underglow to my 06 DL650. I'm planning on doing this primarily for added safety at night (I kinda live in the sticks). Yeah, a part of me thinks it looks cool, too. Anyways . . .

Where/how do you go about wiring the system up? I understand that it needs to be wired up to the positive and negative terminals, but . . .

some people advocate splicing in to the rear license plate light,
some people advocate grounding to the frame,
some people advocate not grounding to the frame at all, and
some people advocate grounding to the fuse box.

My ideal setup (at least in my mind) would include the LEDs, an on/off switch, and an inline fuse.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
4,937 Posts
The simplest way would be to remove your seat and splice into the tail light wires. I am assuming that you will be using LED's with a very low draw. The brown (Br) is the power, and the black/white stripe (B/W) the earth return. It is already fused.

Alternatively look beneath the airbox, behind the radiator for an unused plug with orange/green stripe (O/G) and black/white stripe (B/W) which is the OEM heated grips plug. It is fused as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Around here accent lights will get you pulled over and a ticket. You may want to see if they are legal where you are at before you draw unwanted attention your way.

Your wiring should be connected to a keyed powers source. That way when you turn the key off it kills the power to the LED's so you cannot mistakenly leave them on like if powered directly off the battery. There are several ways to do this the best being via a 4 post 12V relay. Two of the terminal's of the relay connect to the positive and negative of the battery. The trigger wire (3rd terminal) goes to a keyed power source. The 4th terminal then becomes the keyed positive power source for your LED's. You will then have to complete the circuit by connecting one side of the LED's to a ground (bare spot on the frame or back to the negative terminal of the battery)

Going from memory:

Relay terminal 30 is positive from the vehicle battery
Relay Terminal 85 is ground to the vehicle battery
Relay terminal 86 is keyed/switched power
Relay terminal 87 is power supply to whatever it is you want to run

Better yet is to power a power block like a PC8 from Eastern Beaver. Use the relay setup to power the block and then you have 8 circuits protected by the relay that you can power mutiple things like driving lights, heated gear, GPS/phone charger etc.

As for wiring I am a solder and shrink tubing type for a permanent connection. I do not like crimp connectors and only use them as a last resort.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a cousin who's a policeman. Before I decided on doing this, I asked him of its legality. As long as I don't have multiple colors of lights switching, I'm fine.

Thanks for the concern, though!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts