StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard about hearing issues you can get from wind, etc, so I use foam earplugs most of the time when I ride. But I also love music, and would like to get some earbuds that I can use inside my full-face helmet. What I have found in the past is that, after I put my earbuds in, they come out or get loosened when I pull on my helmet.

Does anyone know of a good solution to the issue of wanting earbuds with good sound and good sound isolation, but that will also stay on when you pull on your helmet??

·
Registered
80 Posts
Noise isolating earphones

I've had good luck with the Shure noise isolating earphones. They fit fine under my Scorpion full face helmet and the volume level is the same in my iPod in my living room or on my Wee. i highly recommend them. Mine are most like the lower priced ones on this link:

http://store.shure.com/store/shure/en_US/home

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
This is a pretty subjective topic, with many right answers.

I've had these for about 2 years, used exclusively for riding, can use them all day without issue.

On the cheap, I use the Creative EP-630's, sound decent, cheap and comfy:

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Etymotic ER6i ear phones.

They cost about $75. I like these way better than my Shure E2C earphones. They are more comfortable, block outside noise better and they don't stick as far outside of the ear (more comfortable under the helmet).

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have found the Sony Active Style headphones (about $40) to work well. The included soft hangers ensure that the earbuds don't get pulled out when putting on a full-face helmet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also use these

I bought these over the winter. I found them really easy to set up. On the bike, they block noise well and sound decent. In fact, I like them more on the bike than using them while working out or anyplace else.

My only criticism is that they sounded awesome the first time I set them up, but have yet to sound that good since. I believe that while they were taking a set in my ear, they formed the perfect bond...but have yet to achieve that again. Truly, the first time I used them, the bass was amazing and the way they blocked outside sound was remarkable.

If you purchase these, when setting them up, make sure you actually have sound playing through the ear buds as you form the material around your ear. This will help to ensure the sound is balanced between both ears.

One other issue I have, is that they make helmet removal difficult. But I blame this as much on my Helmet Halo as I do anything else.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
The Etymotics are the dial tone for bike use. They are small, comfortable, durable, and have great sound for the money.

·
Registered
662 Posts
+1 on the ER-6 series. I've had mine for 5 years of constant use; bike and airplane. Still working great. If they die, i'll replace with the same. Cut out about 29dbs. I prefer the foam tips to the rubber.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I installed Torx X-Pros in my XD-3. Loud enough for my XM radio and GPS.
Do not even know they are there and never fall out. Kinda pricey but for me they were worth it. Good luck.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just picked up a set of the Etymotic ER6i based on the recommendations of some of the people here. I've only ridden the bike a few times with them so far but I find that they work great. They're comfortable and small enough that even the body of them fit inside the ear, nothing but wire hanging out to interfere with the helmet, and they block out enough noise that I no problem hearing the music, even at low volume. I even used them while mowing the lawn a couple of days ago, the ipod volume was somewhere around 25% and I could hear the music perfectly and could just barely hear the mower. Very satisfied with them.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
This is a pretty subjective topic, with many right answers.
Yes, it's subjective, but the reason is that it depends on what your ears and ear canals are shaped like. There are a lot of great ear buds out there, but anything larger than the ER6i buds are too big to fit in my ears at the same time I'm wearing a helmet.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Etymotic Er6i's

Etymotic Research Isolators - Er6... AWESOME.

Expensive, yes... but they isolate very well. I can go ride, put my Zune on "4" (of 20) and hear pretty much everything. So I am not blasting into my ears, damaging my hearing with blaring music instead of wind noise...

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6.aspx
+1 on the Etymotic Er6i's...they are awesome and worth the $$$!

·
Registered
28 Posts
+1

I have found the Sony Active Style headphones (about $40) to work well. The included soft hangers ensure that the earbuds don't get pulled out when putting on a full-face helmet.
Same here..only got them at the Sony outlet for 8 duckets.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
I also use Shure in - bud headphones. They fit fine under my full face and are comfy. They cut out wind noice and you can hear the music just fine at a perfect volume.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts