StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep tossing around the idea of Selling or trading in my Dual Sport bike < 2011 Husqvarna TE630> for a SUZUKI V-Strom 650 . Not sure if I will be sorry or not. Is this a good back road , dirt road bike ? I prefer the roads less traveled. I also have vintage trials and motocross bikes I play on , so I wont be totally out of the dirt.

I see Suzuki of Newmarket < Toronto Canada Area > is offering no interest and no payments for a year on new bikes. This would give me time to sell my bike . Does anyone have any dealings with these guys or this deal.

To make things a bit more completed my wife also rides and has a Husqvarna TE630 as well. She is not sure if a Strom would be too big for her or not. < She is 5' 11" > One option is for me to buy one and let her try it. I could always buy another next year.

Tough decisions , thanks for any input

Randy

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
If you're planning on riding the V-Strom on the same "roads less traveled" as your Husqvarna, you'll be disappointed. It's not that kind of bike. Plan on most of your less traveled roads being paved. You can ride it in the dirt, but it's not a "good" dirt bike. Most of us don't have the skills (balls) to ride a big adventure bike like the V-Strom in the dirt the like the pros that ride them in the marketing videos.

Is it too big for your wife? Maybe. The safe choice is to buy one first and let her try it out.

Obviously most DL650 owners on this forum love the bike, so if you're asking us for advice we're gonna say "get one!" Just understand what it is and what it isn't.

Good luck with your decision. Hopefully you'll be back!

·
Administrator
13,203 Posts
If dirt roads/back roads means hard packed Gravel roads and twisties then a Strom would be a good choice. There ae no roads in York Rigion that you couldn't ride on a Strom.If you are thinking of taking it to the Ganaraska it probably isn't a very good choice.

I bought my two Stroms from Dan at Newmarket. Several friends also bought from them. They have a bad reputation but I never had any issues. I always found their pricing very good and at the time they were my local dealership. Just make sure you get bottom-line pricing. Feel free to mention me (Tom with the High-Mileage V-Strom's) as Dan knows me.

..Tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts