StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding today when I had a bugstrike on my left forearm. I looked down to see where the splat was and was met with a wasp face looking up at me. The head was sliding down my jacket from my sleeve. I was concerned where the body would be so I started shaking my arm up and down trying to shake it out if it was in my jacket arm. I didn't feel anything in there so kept riding. About a quarter mile away, the wasp body in my jacket arm started stinging me. I pulled over and removed the body. I ran it over as I left. Thinking back, the wasp head did kind of have an "I'll get you for this" look to it. It got me at least 3 times and perhaps more if he scored the same spots twice. :(

Soon after, I felt like I had a lump in my throat, my tongue went numb and my heart felt racy so I cut my ride short and went home. I felt better after only an hour but it was strange. I was never allergic before and get stung a few times a year doing yard work. It was only a paper wasp. I came home and did some research and discovered that many allergies like insect allergies are not hereditary and that the more I am stung, the more likely I am to develop allergies to them. Yikes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
How about gauntlet gloves that cover your sleeve ends? Not so cool in summer but that would prevent arm incursions.

I have also heard that you can have a nasty reaction if you have never had reactions before but has been a long time since the last bite. Perhaps the occasional bite (one at a time!) would be a good thing.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
You should have immediately have gone to a walk-in clinic or the E. R. If your tongue and maybe throat had swollen more, you could not breath. the racing pulse was very worrisome. Ask your medical provider if you should carry (always!) an antidote.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
You had better start carrying an Epipen, man. I do. Any doc will prescribe it for you based on your story.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I got a bee down the front of my jacket last summer, must have looked odd riding along beating my chest. At least it wasn't a Sydney funnel web spider or a banded crait...oh sorry, that's Australia:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Scary stuff for sure! I'm a beekeeper and have been stung hundreds of times so I'm used to that. Last year though, I was riding in town with my visor open and lodged a wasp of some sort (It was a long all black one) next to the side of my head and helmet. It stung me but I didn't think much of it. 5 minutes later I collapsed in a restaurant (knocking over tables and chairs, wish I had surveillance video) unconscious. The EMT couldn't find a pulse and my eyes were dilated. My dad did compression's and revived me, but I felt as if I were paralyzed and could hardly breath. The Wambulance shot me up with Benedryl and who knows what else. Long story short, try to ride with your visor down, at least in the more bug prone months, and carry Benedryl. If you're out in the middle of nowhere and someone can't get to you in time, you're V-strom will have to drive itself home. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Just out of the Army back in '72 I was riding my RD350 at a brisk pace on a mountain road in Oaxaca, my trusty field jacket with sleeves open to catch the breeze so that I was ballooned out like the Michelin Man. Hey, look at me, air conditioned!

Of course, I soon ran through a nice-sized swarm of bees and got an unknown -- but no doubt impressive -- number up my sleeves and into the jacket. And naturally they congregated at the back and began stinging me through my t-shirt to display their displeasure at being separated from their swarmly comrades.

It's surprising how long it takes to get stopped from 70 mph when your back is on fire.

·
Registered
15,425 Posts
Benadryl...Brilliant. HAve to get some of that to stick in trunk.
I got it in the neck by a bee going to work. Then he had the audacity to crawl in my shirt and into my armpit before I could pull over and remove the dying bug.
I hate when that happens. Luckily I had not allergic reaction.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got a bee down the front of my jacket last summer, must have looked odd riding along beating my chest. At least it wasn't a Sydney funnel web spider or a banded crait...oh sorry, that's Australia:biggrinjester:
Yeah, I had a similar experience last year... riding up in the mountains on the DR-Z. I felt an impact on my jacket, but didn't think anything of it, 30 secs later the pain started. Lucky I wasn't allergic, but it hurt like hell

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I remember reading the story of a guy who was tootling along gently one evening with his visor up and ended up with a live bat in his helmet... :biggrinjester:

If I'm riding with a small group, I always ask if anyone is allergic to bees and where their epi-pen is.

·
Registered
109 Posts
As a former EMT, I strongly recommend that you talk to your doctor. You had an anaphylactic shock reaction that fortunately was not too bad. This can life threatening! Your doctor will probably prescribe an epipen. This is a shot of epinephrine that will often reduce the swelling and allow you to breathe.

Many things that we do are full of calculated risks (like riding a motorcycle) but if you've had this type of reaction, do talk to your doctor.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I've heard something similar to Primatine Mist inhaler is good to have along in case this happens...? Medical types care to comment? I ride with a guy who gives Epi-pen instructions prior to each ride.

I had a painful bite - repeatedly - while riding. I know bugs love me and I have mild reactions, so I wasn't too worried. The knawing was on my stomach so it was a stop and rip stuff off it I wanted to fix it. I was 10 minutes from home.

Took off the gear and a small black fly fell from my shirt. There was a hole in my skin and a solid red circle about an inch across. My skin was hard about 1/4 inch deep and easily 20-30 hotter than the skin away from the bite. All in 10 minutes. Off to the ER - anti-biotics, etc later.....a week later....and things started going back to normal.

For the record, I couldn't see his facial expression. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Way back when I was about 20 and riding in a tee shirt, I felt a light tap in the hollow of my breastbone. Seconds later, I get stung by a yellow jacket I guess. The wind was keeping that little sucker in the hollow and he didn't like getting slapped at 55mph. Not as bad as inside a jacket or helmet though. I don't have to worry about that bony depression anymore though either. It's long gone!

·
Registered
248 Posts
While riding, two up, out to Bourke NSW during the last drought, I had the fun experience of being hit by a wedge tail eagle. We somehow stayed upright but ran off the road into the scrub and stopped in some low bushes. Probably doing 120km/h on contact. That should beat a bee or wasp! I get bad reactions to insects and carry antihisamine tablets but go with the pen as it works much better especially when you have passed out and someone else can do it for you. The eagle did not make it, in case anyone was wondering but the r100s lost the light and screen for a modified cafe racer look.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My scariest ride ever was while riding on back roads and due to oncoming traffic I couldn't miss hitting the snake stretched across my lane. A mile later I felt something on my leg, looked down, and found that my front wheel had actually somehow thrown the snake up onto my leg and he was still alive!

You would be amazed at how fast you can stop a bike and jump off when something like this happens!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Long Neck

So I was riding my R6 last year leaving Bristol, TN heading back out to The Snake and had riding all day when I got popped in the throat by something (bug, bee, etc.). Luckly I had my girlfriend with me and had her to pull the stinger out and I used my firstaid kit to place a bandaid over the area with some antiseptic applied.

Now I generally always ride with full gear regardless of what time of the year it is. I ride with alot of friends who has lazy bikes and needless to say they wait to lay down often. So after seeing a ton of road rash I always cover up. But I guess when you have a neck like a Giraffe, it's hard to be exposed.:green_lol:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts