StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Try to keep a long story short , I bought the 650 2012 wee ,, Absolutly love it , but find it, a bit tall ,bars a bit far away, and a bit uncomfortable , but i've lowered it with the lower seat , put risers on it , and for what i wanted it for its now great , and thats going for rides have a look down the many dirt traks near me and enjoying myself .

Its very comfortable but only for about 4 hours , i could lower it more get a better seat , and get bigger risers and new cables , but i don't want to keep throwing money at it because I would'nt tour on it . and for . now anyway, i have a big cruiser (rocket) all set up for long distance and big days , so alls good .

But i find i like the wee so much , i cannot help but think i don't need the rocket if i i get a adventure bike thats a bit bigger displacement ,, more suitable for touring , and just have one bike ,

I looked at the V and that is way to tall for me , i looked at the Super tenere , and the dimensions on that seem to be the same has the wee , so my question for those that are in the know , is how does the tenere compare to the wee , is it a bike that would do the job of both ,, bearing in mind off road , the wee has more capabilities than i do , but on road i can and thouroughly enjoy pushing the wee to its limits ,

Is the tenere a better dirt bike (which i don't need ) but more of a tractor on road , which i don't want , or would you reccomend i just stick with two bikes , .

Unfortunatly there are no demo models around so i cannot test one , and the tenere is 10 grand more than the wee was

I sat on a Tenere before i bought my wee , and even then i thought it was more suitable size and comfort , but 20 grand for a second bike has oppossed to $10, 500 for the wee is what made my mind up .

But heck i did'nt relize i was going to enjoy the ride position and hitting dirt tracks has much has i do

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Motorcycles are built one size fits all, I am not sure what the standard is but would bet its like 5 feet 10 inches and the Vitruvian man. The height of any adventure bike is ground clearance and suspension travel, they all will conform to these standards.

If you are outside this range some accommodations should be made

Lets call it being tailored like clothes that don't fit.

Yes riding a real motorcycle VS a cruiser should leave you disappointing with a cruiser

·
Registered
964 Posts
How can you love the Wee and find the Vee "way too tall?" It's the same geometry. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the Vee is only 1" taller than the Wee in stock form, and that's because of thicker padding on the seat.

On pre-2012 Wees and all Vees, the seats even interchange, and you sometimes are able to find someone with the one you want willing to swap.

If you're just jazzed by the Yamaha, that's another thing - follow your bliss. I'm sure it's a great bike, it's been out a few years and has a loyal following.

If you're into self-improvement: "biased", not "biass". If you're not, feel free to call me a 'spelling Nazi' or whatever.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was in the same boat, I was in a never ending search to find that perfect bike that's comfortable on long cross state trips without spending $20K plus on a Gold Wing, any cruiser bike was out, I owned the SV650, Yamaha FZ6R, and I couldn't go on without stopping every 1/2 hr to rest my butt and my arms, those bikes were a struggle to ride and control, the deep concintration of riding one tired me out, after a 250 mile round trip I was physically and mentally worn out for days after that ride.
I have found the perfect bike,, aghh or scooter, I ride a 2009 Yamaha Tmax Scooter, I can relax and recline on the seat like a Lazy-Boy recliner, I can ride without a helmet and hear the birds singing in the trees while going 70 mph, its automatic, no clutch lever I can hold a drink and ride at the same time, even have a cup holder.
The Tmax isn't made anymore but the Suzuki Burgman 650 and the BMW 650 is still around,,, you'll l-o-v-e it!

Its a shame as good as I am riding a motorcycle that I ride a scooter, but I got it for comfort, everyday I see someone else riding a motorcycle and a blind man can see he can't ride one,, its fun when my scooter can go faster around a tight curve than a full crotch rocket,,, its not the bike, its the rider, I tell other riders I could take any bike they ride and ride that bike better than them, I could make their bike do things they never thought were possible, I could lean over a HD so far around a curve that I can scrape the chrome off their pipes,,, but they still laugh and make fun of me cause I ride a scooter.
so it is to be.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Try to keep a long story short , I bought the 650 2012 wee ,, Absolutly love it , but find it, a bit tall ,bars a bit far away, and a bit uncomfortable , but i've lowered it with the lower seat , put risers on it , and for what i wanted it for its now great , and thats going for rides have a look down the many dirt traks near me and enjoying myself .

Its very comfortable but only for about 4 hours , i could lower it more get a better seat , and get bigger risers and new cables , but i don't want to keep throwing money at it because I would'nt tour on it . and for . now anyway, i have a big cruiser (rocket) all set up for long distance and big days , so alls good .

But i find i like the wee so much , i cannot help but think i don't need the rocket if i i get a adventure bike thats a bit bigger displacement ,, more suitable for touring , and just have one bike ,

I looked at the V and that is way to tall for me , i looked at the Super tenere , and the dimensions on that seem to be the same has the wee , so my question for those that are in the know , is how does the tenere compare to the wee , is it a bike that would do the job of both ,, bearing in mind off road , the wee has more capabilities than i do , but on road i can and thouroughly enjoy pushing the wee to its limits ,

Is the tenere a better dirt bike (which i don't need ) but more of a tractor on road , which i don't want , or would you reccomend i just stick with two bikes , .

Unfortunatly there are no demo models around so i cannot test one , and the tenere is 10 grand more than the wee was

I sat on a Tenere before i bought my wee , and even then i thought it was more suitable size and comfort , but 20 grand for a second bike has oppossed to $10, 500 for the wee is what made my mind up .

But heck i did'nt relize i was going to enjoy the ride position and hitting dirt tracks has much has i do

Naturally everyone has their own comfort level, and what works for one person wont work for another. I've done a lot of long distance days on my 650, both single and two up, and have found that it works just fine for touring. It wouldn't have been my first choice for thousands of miles of two up interstate touring, but that's a pretty grim way to ride anyway, so I try and avoid it. I think you can set up a 650 to be very comfortable for 500 mile days and still spend a lot less than it costs to buy the average big liter cruiser. I have a big touring bike (a Road King), and that bike has barely been ridden since I got the 650; that has included a couple multi-day, two up tours. I'm actually thinking of selling the Road King and sticking with just the 650.

I agree with you that I wish the 650 had a slightly higher displacement, like around 800 CC. That would be a perfect compromise for me between the 650 and the DL1000. The trouble is, as you said, that all the other bikes that are in the same class as the 650 are about twice as much money. For me personally, the BMWs, the KTMs, etc don't surpass the 650 enough to justify the increased price tag.

I've never ridden a Tenere, but I read reviews of them on line before I bought the 650 (I read a LOT of on line info on various bikes before I bought mine). From what I read, the Tenere and the V-Strom were about neck and neck, depending on who was reviewing the bikes. I recall one reviewing mentioning that the Tenere felt more cramped than the V-Strom. For me, it was another case of "if the Tenere isn't substantially better than the V-Strom, is there any reason to spend that much more money on one?".

I wish the 650 had a bit more power, but I can live with it the way it is and I don't feel like I'm missing out. After all, guys have ridden these things around the world, so I figure it will certainly stand up to whatever I can throw at it...

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
If you're into self-improvement: "biased", not "biass". If you're not, feel free to call me a 'spelling Nazi' or whatever.
I think "biass" is a good word, possibly meaning "of two asses," similar in intent to "of two minds." This would be appropriate for someone comparing the relative comfort level of two motorcycles as the OP is doing, since the rider's ass is a valid measuring tool.

Take that, Herr Obersturmbahnfuhrer!:green_lol:

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Unless you are going to get some money back in return, it sounds to me like you should keep both bikes. But have you considered the Triumph Explorer? I have not personally ridden one, but I am pretty sure I'd take one over the Tenere as my only bike, hands down, mostly for the road riding characteristics. I was not impressed with the Tenere very much. Not saying it's not a good bike, but I didn't care for it. I like the Wee better. You can tour on the Wee once you get it adjusted to your needs.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
How can you love the Wee and find the Vee "way too tall?" It's the same geometry. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the Vee is only 1" taller than the Wee in stock form, and that's because of thicker padding on the seat.

Your probably correct , But if i sit on the standard V without leaning it i cannot reach the floor , i sit on the 650 and i'm on tip toes , but the lower seat with rubbers removed , just about gives me the height , where its still safe to ride it , and the bike is light enough that i can lean over a bit a lights and be flat footed with one foot .

The V i suspect will not be low enough height, that it will be controllable , . I could but don't want to use lowering links , because to be honest the clearance and ability to soak up rough roads is what i like about theses bikes .

I was looking at the Tenere mainly because its about the same height has the Wee and does seem to have a very comfortable seat , and even if i have to spend to get it comfortable to tour on , at least it will not be too tall for me like the V is

To be honest , i should really wait and see what the new V is like , but i'm getting impatient waiting for it .

According to the Super Tenere forums it would be perfect , but my experience is owners are generaly reculant to say eanything bad about what they own , Its almost like some men don't want to admit theve married a ugly woman .

·
Registered
284 Posts
Unless you are going to get some money back in return, it sounds to me like you should keep both bikes. But have you considered the Triumph Explorer? I have not personally ridden one, but I am pretty sure I'd take one over the Tenere as my only bike, hands down, mostly for the road riding characteristics. I was not impressed with the Tenere very much. Not saying it's not a good bike, but I didn't care for it. I like the Wee better. You can tour on the Wee once you get it adjusted to your needs.
I've ridden the Explorer, and didn't like it as well as my 1050. Too heavy. I'm 6'3" and in shape, so I'm pretty sure the OP, being shorter, wouldn't like it either. To the OP: Keep after the dealer about a test ride on the Tenere! If you are serious about buying, he should be willing. Ride in on your Wee and tell him you are not quite satisfied with it. The potential sale will probably loosen him up. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Most all of the adventure type bikes are going to be tall, pretty much the nature of them.
I'm not sure how much more displacement you are feeling the need for. If an 800 would do you might eye the 800 Tiger standard, I think it is a bit lower. I think the 800 BMW also is offered in a lowered version.
If you feel the need for a liter bike the only one I know of that is offered with any capability of lowering from the factory is the BMW R1200GS, at least the oilhead version was. I'm not sure how they did it, if there was a separate subframe or something else but I recall the local dealer offering a 'lower frame' version.
I quite understand your desire for more punch than the 650 has for touring uses. If it were my only bike I would think exactly that. You can use the 650 for touring I just don't consider it a pleasant prospect.

·
Super Moderator
16,859 Posts
Every bike has a trade off of some kind, nature of the beasts. More HP equals more weight, except for with many super sports. ADV style bikes are tall and long for a reason, and changing the geometry for what they are ruins them IMHO. I am most comfortable in many ways on bikes like the Strom's, they fit me like a glove and my riding styles also gel quite nicely.

·
Registered
964 Posts
. ...Your probably correct , But if i sit on the standard V without leaning it i cannot reach the floor , i sit on the 650 and i'm on tip toes , but the lower seat with rubbers removed , just about gives me the height ...
I've hoping beyond hope that the new Vee seat will be interchangeable with the Glee's, as the 'old' Wee's seat was with the 'old' (current), Vee. ... because I spent big bucks for a Russel seat.

It would make sense, but according to the pics of the new Vee, it looks like they want to put a different sub-frame on it. Hopefully that was just for the prototype, or the seats interchange despite different subframes.

Anyway, there's enough price difference between the Yamaha and the Suzuki to consider waiting for the new Vee to see how it sits for you, IMO.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I've ridden the Explorer, and didn't like it as well as my 1050. Too heavy. I'm 6'3" and in shape, so I'm pretty sure the OP, being shorter, wouldn't like it either. To the OP: Keep after the dealer about a test ride on the Tenere! If you are serious about buying, he should be willing. Ride in on your Wee and tell him you are not quite satisfied with it. The potential sale will probably loosen him up. Good luck.
Just checked the specs on the regular Explorer and the Tenere. The Tenere is taller and heavier, just a bit. I am 5' 6" and 150 pounds and felt the Tenere on the big side, but still manageable. But the Explorer is going to be pricey in Oz anyway.

·
phatguy in Cbus
182 Posts
The Triumph 800 standard weighs only 462 lb and has adjustable seat and optional low seat. I believe you can get it down to 30.2 " w/out messing with the suspension. The seat shape is sufficiently narrow in the front to help reach the ground. And the good part...it makes 94 HP. Still, I prefer my Wee. There is 2012 Triumph 800 for sale right now for $7500 in Dublin, OH on Cycle Trader. I've been drooling over it.

Good luck,
Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts