StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not me. But shockingly I may be Wee shopping. After just selling one last September.

Took the wife on a highway test ride today. We're getting ready for the 550+ mile trip to the East gathering and I wanted to make sure she understood what she was getting into. I had planned a 300 mile ride this morning, but I had my doubts. Sure enough after about 150 miles on her S50 she was spent. Her bike is just not designed for long trips. So she's disappointed she can't go on the upcoming trip (she refuses to ride 2-up - that's a whole other issue).

Now she wants a touring bike. I realize she rides so little that it's not worth getting a FJR or ST1300 because it's going to sit in the garage. Those are great bikes, but I love my Vee and just don't see me pulling them out all that often over the Vee. So what's an inexpensive bike that's capable of touring long distances...humm... could it be the bike I just sold 7 months ago? :var_3: The bike I kept asking her if I should sell or keep for her? :mad2: The bike I de-farkled and sold off the parts for a song? :var_31:

Oh well, guess I supporting the economy. I remember enough of you Wee owners told me that if you change out the front sprocket it's much better on the vibes at highway speeds. She doesn't care about loosing the torque, so it seems the perfect match for her.

I guess it's cheaper than the Ford Mustang she's been bugging me to get.

:bom_hanged:

Anybody want to buy a lightly used heavily farkled Suzuki S50? :bom_furious:

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind/style of bike is an S50?
It's a little 800cc (50 cubic inch) cruiser. I say little because at 6' tall it's really way too short for me. Plus as a dirt bike guy the styling of the bike is wasted on me. I'm not big on chrome and my wife has had me add plenty of chrome to it. I will say that in sonoma red (same as my Vee) I can tell it's an attractive bike. I've seen other S50 bikes in different colors and they don't look as nice as hers.

Suzuki S50

·
Registered
338 Posts
Used K100 BMW

a great touring bike. Not a height challenged bike. Will tour to the moon and back with no problem.

my two cents.

Coop

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a great touring bike. Not a height challenged bike. Will tour to the moon and back with no problem.
Coop
That is becoming a question in my mind now. She sat on one tonight at the dealership. At just under 5'6" she was on her toes. I'm thinking lowering links and turning down the suspension should get her there. Of course that's a theory and one I can't prove until I can modify a bike.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
DirtDad,

My wife is 5'-5" and I bought a spare seat which I carved out just so my wife could experience motorcycling (she has a Harley). I cut it down quite a bit in the front and we did a 100-mile day. She can't quite flat-foot, there's about 1/2" of daylight at her heels, be she was quite confident on it.

You can also get lowering links. The first V-Strom owner I met was a lady, about the same height who put 37,000 mles on her bike before she lowered it.

Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing you and DirtMom in Stecoah.

Rock on!

Norm

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing you and DirtMom in Stecoah.
Not looking good for meeting DirtMom this time around. We've spent the last 24 hours considering all different options. Getting new seat and bar extenders for the S50; test sitting on the Wee, C50, M50, GSX650F, Yam FJR; she even took my bike on a slow speed tight maneuver around the driveway (what she was thinking I'm not sure). I think we're in agreement that a Strom will fit the current and future touring plans (someday - Alaska).

Several challenges to DirtMom making the ride. If we buy her a new bike we have to get enough miles on it to then do the first service before the trip. She will not have a comfort level with the bike, so doing all I can to lower and prep the bike is a must (lowering links, crash bars, fork brace and maybe windscreen issues). Quite honestly a used Wee is much more attractive because it may have some of the farkles and already be broken in.

If I'm going to buy another Wee I want to feel like I've made an upgrade so I really want the ABS. I like the wife having that feature and I won't need to upgrade again. Unfortunately finding a used one seems difficult and I haven't even found a dealer that has a new one. There's a great looking one in the for sale section here, but it's in Arkansas and not a option.

Things are not looking good for DirtMom on this trip.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
What a heck of an enjoyable thread, rj.. that's some killer grass in your link there, you had me stuck on the fiddles for awhile..
That new GSX650 looks like one interesting bike, gonna check those out closer.
Dirt D i look forward to you seeing your old tank bra...see you there...

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Have her try out a Burgman 650. She can tour to the moon with that thing. Get a pad for the seat and set up the screen right and thats all that needs doing. Seriously.
Is that thing really capable of keeping up on the highway?

Dirt D i look forward to you seeing your old tank bra...see you there...
I'll be there JonnyReb. Visiting some of my old Wee parts (like the tank bra you're sporting) will now take on a different meaning. I think my old tall touring seat will be there, too.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My own experience has shown me that my "state of tune" is much more important than what I'm riding when it comes to my endurance in long distance riding. At the begining of the year I usually have to take a rest about every hundred miles but by the time I've been riding for a month or so I can take it at least 200 miles between stops. The type of terrain is just as important. The difference between interstate miles and secondary road miles is amazing. I usually don't like to take the interstate routes but when I have to get a lot of miles done in a short time there is no doubt that the interstate is the way to go. They are usually much less fatigueing than the stop and go, curvey secondary roads, just not as rewarding. Like any other sport, it's important to get the stamina built up before venturing on an endurance event.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
rj.. that's some killer grass in your link there, you had me stuck on the fiddles for awhile..
Took a while but finally got it. bluegrass.:var_40: It was pretty cool.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive has ABS and an adjustable windshield.
Not really a scooter, but a step thru motorcycle.
Fully automatic or 6 speed shift (if you like shifting)
Will cruise at 80-90 mph all day long.
Tons of storage too.
Sort of like a "mini Goldwing"
It is a heavy bike at about 600 lbs wet.
Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
237 Posts
the seat

If you go for the Strom, send the seat off to Spencers in Florida. He can make it much more comfortable for long rides and lower it another half inch too. I just had mind done for a ride to Big Bend and really love it, no more all day butt burn! YAHOO!
Oh yea, 75 bucks plus shipping, one of the most appreciated farkles, no grin, just a nice long smile.

check here for ride report and lots of Big Bend pics.
http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23392

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
With the adjustable lowering links, and the 650 seat I was able to get both of my wifes feet on the ground at 5'4". I will not ride the bike as I am considerably heavier and have read about problems with them dragging the tire on the inner fender. I also lowered her front forks by 3/4". She now has over 1000 miles on it and no complaints. If you look on ebay under soupy's lowering links you will find them.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you go for the Strom, send the seat off to Spencers in Florida. He can make it much more comfortable for long rides and lower it another half inch too. I just had mind done for a ride to Big Bend and really love it, no more all day butt burn! YAHOO!
Oh yea, 75 bucks plus shipping, one of the most appreciated farkles, no grin, just a nice long smile.

check here for ride report and lots of Big Bend pics.
http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23392
I have his seat mod on my DL1000. I got the long distance upgrade. I can tell it's better, but it's not all day comfortable to me. I think he does good work, I'm just thinking there must be another "perfect" solution for my anatomy.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
if you dont mind a trip south

Reeses motorcycle shop in haleyville al. has a honda silver wing with 5000 miles on it for $5800 good price on a big scooter. I have put 21000 miles on a honda reflex back forth to work and foud it to be dead reliable. my only complaint with it is 7500 rpm at 70 mph ,the silver wing has a 500cc twin and has no problems with high speed cruising. thought id justput that info out for you mabey itll help:-D

·
Registered
180 Posts
You bet your BP

Is that thing really capable of keeping up on the highway?

Not only yes, but HE** Yes! I had one and the wife and I and enough clothes for a weekend at the beach hauled ass 318 miles with her on the back and at one stretch were at triple digits...it can do it and you might be surprised...it just might be faster than you in the twisties. They really do handle well. I had an 07 model till I wrecked it last month.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts