StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing the enduro guardian skid plate, and need to remove the bolt that is right below the rear brake that is uses to support the exaust. It just spins...make no progress out. Ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,498 Posts
Shouldn't do that, something is stripped. The backside is a threaded piece of metal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct it is threaded piece of metal on the exhaust pipe. It cannot be pushed out the back due to other exhaust pipe on the backside that has limited room.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Ok, how about grabbing the bolt head with vicegrips & apple tension while turning with the allen key, it might "start" the thread ??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried pulling and twisting with vice grips with no luck. Not sure what is meant / how to use Allen key and apple tension.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think he meant "apply" tension. Pull the bolt out while turning it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
How're you getting on with this ? I can see it's a bit of a bugger. Have you resorted to pulling the pipes off yet ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No progress yet. That will likely be my next step unless I find/hear anything else to try. seems like that may take some time. Will have to look up how to do that. The back pipe seems like I will be a bit of work.

·
Registered
376 Posts
There may be enough play in the bracket for you to cut the bolt head off, & punch it out the back bending it all sideways enough to clear the back pipe. Given that there's a rubber bush and you'll have to replace the present bolt with a bolt & nut it shouldn't matter if the bracket gets a bit bent & re-straightened in the process.

I'm sort of pleased I went with the Weld 86 plate now...

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Not sure what bike it is.

That nut on my Wee and V2 are very similar to each other and I think your nut could be spinning inside the box that is built around the nut.

If that is the case I would drill a hole through the box and into the nut then insert something to stop the nut spinning while undoing the bolt, that would not be hard on my Wee but would harder on the V2.

On the V2 using a drift and hammer to try and tighten the box around the nut would be my starting point.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you are right Rolex, that makes sense now that you explain it and having a closer look. I think that'll be my best shot without removing the exhaust. And it's a 2004 650, so like you said, I should be able to get to it.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I think you are right Rolex, that makes sense now that you explain it and having a closer look. I think that'll be my best shot without removing the exhaust. And it's a 2004 650, so like you said, I should be able to get to it.
I would use liberal amounts of Penetrene on the bolt for a few days before I attempted the job, I can't believe how well that stuff works.

My sheep may not be smart but they are cute. (oops to much information)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not an angle to drill into the box on the bike as is. I'm looking at if I can remove the exhaust now. But those bolts are rusted real bad no movement. I've got some Justice Brothers, JB80 sprayed on it now, will hit that a few more times over a couple days and see if things loosen up at all.

Attached a picture. You can see on the far right (arrow) the end of the bolt just sticking out. and the other arrow to the left is the box where I guess the nut that is supposed to be welded is not spinning free.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,209 Posts
You may want to try a heat wrench on it a bit too. Those rubber bits can't be too expensive.
Heat wrench is a map gas torch or propane type.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's my next step, the "heat wrench", I like that term. I tried to bend and get some JB80 into that box, but I don't think it's making it. So next step, going to try the torch, and if that doesn't give it a go, I'll remove the bolt head by some means or another... then pull the exhaust so I can work on the nut and box uninhibited by the rest of the bike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great call notacop. Propane on the bolt allowed it to bust loose. The rubber didn't get too terribly damaged, burned the entire time, but still enough there it looks like, it's intact enough to still cover the opening. will hit that bolt with a lot of JB80 this weekend before attaching new bolt to attached the skid plate. Thanks all for the recommendations.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts