StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with UMPCs? I have been researching these devices for future replacement of my Mio C-520 GPS. A UMPC will allow me to run ANY software that I would like to, and also to use the system as a GPS, send and receive e-mail, edit photos and video in the field. It would make a perfect travel companion for my kind of riding. I would mount it up in the dash, behind the windscreen, (yup, no kidding. It will fit.).

An example of what I am looking at can be found here, http://www.ruggedtabletpc.com/

Check out their video of sending the unit through a car wash while strapped to the roof of a car.

Barry B.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Barry, that is an impressive piece of technology... Whats the Sticker [shock] Value?
Any news on the suspension issue??:bom_glasses:

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Barry, that is an impressive piece of technology... Whats the Sticker [shock] Value?
Any news on the suspension issue??:bom_glasses:
I asked for a quote, but didn't receive an actual $$$$ price, just more info. A wild guess would be from $3,000 to $5,000. But I stress, it is just a gut guess!!!! What I like about this system is, the manufacturer offers a flash drive as an option to replace the standard "mechanical" drive. There would be no moving parts. That would be good for me, wouldn't it?

I ordered a Hyperpro 460 shock from EPM Performance Imports, (http://www.wilbersusa.com/). Klaus was the former USA distributor of the famous Wibers shock. This is what he sells now. I chose this shock for two reasons; economics and how I ride.

I don't have to build into the purchase of a shock; "I may do this", and "I may do that". I commute everyday, then ride the heck out of my bike every weekend. I know the specific weights of the bike, gear and me. I know my riding style and riding terrain. This affords me to purchase a shock without a lot of "bells and whistles" that translate to extra $$$. I set it up and forget it.

I will let you know how I make out. I am in my first week of a 4 week "shutdown" of my long weekend trips. IT IS KILLING ME!!!!!! I was on a pace to reach 50,000 miles on my '07 by November, but will be lucky to get 40,000. But, only 6,000 miles to go, so I should do it.

I would like to hook up again for a ride before the snow flies. Once I get the bike back up to speed again, (I think I have a broken belt in the front tire, replacing wheel bearings with sealed wheel bearings, lubing up the swingarm, going back to a rear Anakee, checking out the springs up front, changing spring oil up front, adding emulators up front, replacing the worn out shock.....), I would like to get together with you and Tom and Tom2 for a ride into Canada. I'll meet you over in NH or VT.

Whaddayathink? Maybe garandman can join us as well?

Barry B.

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you looked at the Asus EEE PC? I've heard good things about it and it doesn't cost a fortune. You can get as big of a solid state drive as you would like to have in it.

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=24&l2=0&l3=0&l4=0&model=1907&modelmenu=1

Also another alternative is the Raon PC which is a little too small for my eyes but is a great small PC.
Thanks! These are both excellent trails for me to follow. Their paths may lead me to uncover even more solutions. I appreciate the help.

Barry B.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I used fulltime a Vaio UX. Loved it.
As long as you can plug it to external monitor, keyboard and mouse.
On the go it was still a very good computer.
I still have it, but use it less now. Only keep it as travel computer and photo/video storage/viewer.
I manage to have a desktop available wherever I go and carry everything I need on a USB stick (both software and data).

As GPS on the bike, I use my HTC GPS/Phone which is also enough for email.

I went from Notebook+Phone+GPS to UMPC+GPS/Phone to noPC(USB Stick)+GPS/Phone/Email ... Lighter and lighter.

Things you need to be carefull of: RAM, Battery life and wireless capabilites ... you will find a way around everything else.

·
Registered
175 Posts
At a local electronics surplus they are selling take-off toughbook PC's from police cruisers. The PC itself I think could fit under the seat somewhere. The touchscreen LCDs, though, are a bit large for a bike. That could be worked around using a smaller display, though. They also had GPS/comm units that integrated to the system as well.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Asus EeePC900 is great!

I'm typing this on my Asus EeePC900. I love it. No hard drive, all solid state, less than 2 pounds, about the size of a portable DVD plaver. Perfect travel companion.

Cheers.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm typing this on my Asus EeePC900. I love it. No hard drive, all solid state, less than 2 pounds, about the size of a portable DVD plaver. Perfect travel companion.

Cheers.
Thanks for the reply. This unit seems to be a very popular one; lots of bang for the buck! (except for the "right shift key". Everyone seems to complain about that.). I will probably jump on the band wagon in September when I can free up a little extra $$$ for the bike and gear.

Barry B.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts