13,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,240 Posts
Hmmmmm.....I can think of a few on this forum who might just be interested in one of these. :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Hmmmmm.....I can think of a few on this forum who might just be interested in one of these. :yesnod:
PLEASE, NO! Think of the children.

There are way too many airbags on this forum already.

Oh, I suppose they could be allowed in the "FORUM OF DEATH!"

·
Super Moderator
13,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
578 Posts
Actually air bag system for motorcycles are already a reality.

And they do not look like Michelin men.

Pro racers are using them and they have shown their effectiveness in action.

The Dianese suit is hard to distinguish from a regular race suit.

http://youtu.be/IrVKo94WQhg

Those with an open mind might be interested.

·
Registered
578 Posts
For some reason, I immediately image walking up to someone wearing one and punching them or pulling some cord.:green_lol:
Give me $16 and your welcome to come over and pull the cord on mine. That is all a recharge costs.

In the mean time here is a video:
http://youtu.be/eKyAejapFl0

This is an older model. The current ones are much faster and offer more protection.

Here is the Hit Air Motorrad-2 Enduro Airbag Jacket

Great jacket and airbad all in one and does not look anything like the Michelin man

Watch this guy walk away from a test crash

http://youtu.be/BQuAtAZsWp8

·
Registered
233 Posts
This is really cool technology. Who wouldn't be against wearing something like this? I mean you can't even see a difference from regular gear. This will definitely be considered on my next gear purchase.

·
Super Moderator
13,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What like Marc Marquez? Two times MotoGP world Champion?

Guess what he rides with an Alpine Star "wind bag".
Follow the quotes and try and figure out what was being talked about.

..Tom

·
Registered
561 Posts
It seems to me that an element of risk is essential to the experience, with riders' views at all points on the scale, from the flip-flops-tank tops-shorts-no helmet, crowd, to those who do their best to eliminate all preventable risk. I have looked at the systems and think that they will inevitably come down in price to a point where I will consider wearing them. The thing that I like about them is that they intrude very little on the experience, but they are pretty expensive and not well-proven in the realities of street riding.

That said, each rider makes the decision prior to getting on the bike. What to wear, bike walk around & maintenance, and makes the choice that makes sense to them. I like the idea, I like the new systems, which are less obtrusive than the older systems, but they still represent a significant outlay and I am not convinced they make sense for me, yet.

It'll never beat an SUV for protection in a crash, but I choose my little 'Strom over my Durango when I am able to. I do that in the full knowledge that it is an inherently less safe alternative. It is more engaging, more 'real', and it says volumes about my lack of gray matter I guess. The truck gets me there, in security and without fuss, but the bike often makes getting there more fun than being there. The beauty of this technology's promise is that it will do little to change that, and may offer some real benefit.

I'll keep watching it as it matures and may well buy it some day, but I think a properly fitting helmet has to be step one and I see a lot of folks out there who don't even have that. They happily purchase high dollar riding suits/attire and yet their helmets are obviously intended for someone with different dimensions than their own. Just my 1 cent worth.

I hope that everyone has a really outstanding day and is able to ride well and safely.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts