StromTrooper banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Just after Brexit I experienced the attempted collection of VAT from a UK vendor. Turns out, they were merely acting as the middleman for the product that originated in the EU and so they had been charged VAT and were merely passing it along. I didn't order it from them, but instead, ordered it from an EU vendor and there was no VAT charged. In my instance, it seemed to be an issue between the EU source and the UK vendor. Not sure if it got sorted or not since I haven't tried ordering anything from them since.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
8,179 Posts
I've had the same problem with UK vendors on ebay.

The Australian Tax Office did go overseas to big vendors to get them to collect GST (similar ro VAT) on sales to Australian customers. Not all vendors do that but it looks like ebay does using a company called Pitney Bowes when buying from the UK..
It is the the same from Singapore, Taiwan and China. Apparently the Australian Tax Office have had Government pass laws that require overseas vendors to collect GST (our VAT) for them.
It does seem very widespread. Great when you can pass laws internationally for your tax system isn't it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am in the US. Recently I was trying to order some stuff from a vendor based in the UK. Their Web shop stubbornly added VAT, even though I gave US shipping and billing addresses.

I have emailed them to ask how to order without paying VAT I do not owe. Having to pay UK VAT would make the deal unattractive. As far as I can determine, US customers simply do not owe UK/EU VAT for online purchases. Ideally, VAT would be automatically subtracted when ordering from an EU or UK-based vendor, given that the customer is outside those countries.

There is information all over the Web about getting VAT refunds for purchases made while visiting the EU, and there are even companies that facilitate the refundprocess for businesses. Much better to not be charged VAT in the first place.

Some EU vendors do get this right without drama. When I bought a luggage accessory from Italy-based Brixia Moto through eBay last year, I was correctly not charged VAT.

However, looking at the invoice today I realized that Heed (Poland) incorrectly charged me about US$40 of VAT on crash bars I purchased last year.

I asked Heed for a refund, but they are giving me the run around. Some nonsense to the effect that they "cannot" refund the VAT due to the shipping method. Even though I am clearly a US customer.

If you live in the US or otherwise outside the EU, have you had a problem with EU vendors incorrectly charging you their VAT? If so, what did you do about it?
I suggest not buying from the UK, just order from Amazon or other US based vendors.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,631 Posts
I'm curious....what remedy does the UK claim to be able to pursue against you if you refuse to collect VAT?
I don't know the recourse exactly.
But I CAN tell you it would be quite easy to flag your company name into their import system. They would simply hold the product ransom for current and back taxes.

·
Registered
2016 DL650
3 Posts
Seems lots of people over the pond wants to put the boot into the brits for charging VAT on purchases... maybe it would help if the US government sorted it from their end? (and like that war of independence? Get over it! ) Our federal cohort of wage collectors (national government) did manage to communicate with many many international traders and facilitate their collection of our GST (VAT). SDurely the US government could do the same? I know the issue is you have your version of a gods and services tax run at the state level - all 50 of them. I suspect that's an oops when it comes to trade and the global village. Once the US sorts out how to facilitate getting their share of the tax dollar from their citizens purchasing internationally AND reciprocate by sending tax dollars to other countries, this sort of issue may just fade away a little.

BUT, I purchase things for bikes, my music career, when I was a diver and as an educator from all over the world. The only place which gives me trouble at times is the US. I have things come from Italy, Canada, Europe, all over Oz, Asia and even South Africa without problem. Private sales (think musical instruments or diving gear) sees too many in the US not willing to take a box to their post office and fill in a form. Those that do simply do not have a problem and sell their goods! Plus there are too many companies which won't ship overseas or companies which will, but charge insane amounts for shipping (think US$400 for a $35 part) only add to the frustration.

So the last part I got for my V-strom ended up the same price from a local dealer, OEM or after-market shipped from anywhere on the planet. It was easier to just man up, pay the price and get the genuine part. The only cost was an hour of searching 🙁

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,631 Posts
Seems lots of people over the pond wants to put the boot into the brits for charging VAT on purchases... maybe it would help if the US government sorted it from their end?
Not just the boot in the Brits....But other countries too.

From our ( US ) viewpoint your VAT and similar taxes are simply a way to both screw the citizen AND keep outside trade from coming into the countries that force these exorbitant fees onto buyers.

We don't have them in the United States. So why would our US Government want to collect your taxes?

I order from Canada, it simply arrives at my door. Order from Europe or Australia, it simply arrives at my door. No calls from Customs or Postal demanding their money ( for doing nothing ).

·
Registered
29 Posts
The problem with VAT in UE and a specialy in Poland is that you have to pay it or add to everything you purchase even from abroad. For example when I buy something from US an it arives I have to pay VAT on the spot. Once I sell it outside EU i can ask Polish IRS to refund me the VAT. And when they see a refund clamim they come with a very big microscope and look in to my ass so far, they they can see my mouth. From this point on you never ever want another refund from IRS, and its easer just to charger customer VAT. When most of your buisnes is outside UE and you survive ten or more of those audits the let you be and just give the mone back. But when you co ocasional shipping outside UE every time you ask for a refund they make an audit.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Here in the GWN, the collection of GST (our form of VAT), on goods from outside the country, greatly depends on how they are shipped. If they arrive by courier (eg. DHL, FedEx, UPS), the GST is invariably collected. If shipped via the postal service, it is hit and miss (maybe 50:50) in my experience. It is getting so that I always include the tax in my price comparisons to see if it is worthwhile to source outside the country.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts