StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my first pair of riding boots... Forma adventure low. I normally wear a 13US street show, but their sizing guide called for their 48EU. The length is good but the inside is very loose. I've tried tightening the buckles and running more insert, still loose. I thought about swapping out for a 47EU but I'm concerned my toes will crash the front of the boot. The space inside the boot also appears to be allowing the leather to fold when I walk and it hammers the top of my foot like a blade. Maybe that will soften up with wear?

Anyway, first ride today with the new boots. It's like I have to learn all over again. Not only are the foot controls nearly impossible to operate but my braking technique and starting off technique and it seems even my balance has gone to crap. I find myself slapping down the right foot all the time where I never would have before.

I've read on threads here that the shifter lever can be adjusted to accommodate boots, but what about the rear brake lever? It sits too high and since there is a ton of space inside the boot it is very difficult to lift it high enough for feathering upon starting. Finesse in braking has taken a dive as well.

I suppose I'll eventually get used to it, but any advice on control adjustments and proper sizing/fit would be appreciated.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have the same boot in full length. It takes some time to get used to brake and gear levers. The boots do loosen up. I put some Dr Scholls Get pads in mine. Made for a nice fit and made me a little taller on the bike. I have about 15,000 km on my boots now.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I need to try bigger insoles. The ones I had on hand to try weren't very thick...

Glad to hear they will soften up. The fold in the leather between the lowest buckle and the black toe patch is killing me so far...

·
Registered
894 Posts
My experience with boots, whether riding or work boots, if they don't cause any discomfort during the break-in period they are too big. It takes awhile but they'll soften up.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have the Forma full length Adventure. I put gel insoles (like above) because it was too wide (like you). The thick insole raised my foot into the curve of the boot a bit, and made it fit better.

I moved the shifter a bit. 3/4 inch I think? I forget. But yeah, took some getting used to and fiddling to get it right.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking about moving the shifter a bit as well, but also started realizing that down shifting is more difficult for me with the boots as well. It has been difficult to bend my ankle high enough to reset the shifter without lifting my whole foot off the pegs. Raising the shifter will make that worse.

I think my best course of action now will be to get thicker insoles. Hopefully getting my foot more in contact with the inside of the boot will help with my movement having more effect on the boot, my sensitivity to the position of the controls, and proprioception of my feet. If the insoles help, I'll just have to practice with the new footwear. Otherwise I can try adjusting the controls or I might need to look for a different riding boot.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it important to buy an insole that is sized EU like the boot? I've noticed some discrepancies between 14US and the corresponding EU size. Some say 47 others say 48. Or go with a 13US to match my feet? I'm not sure how relevant the Forma sizing model is to the typical cross reference charts...

·
Administrator
5,016 Posts
The protection offered by these boots takes away all subtle feel on the controls and you end up needing to individualise your controls and adjust how you ride. Raising the shifter is almost compulsory.
Did you have the opportunity to try a size 47? They are bad enough without buying a size too large.
It takes a long time to bed in such boots. A trick many dirt bikers would use was to put on new boots with socks at home, fill the boots with water from a garden hose and walk around the yard doing stuff for an hour or two until the boots completely dried inside. And use lots of leather conditioner once you have that shiny impervious sheen off those new boots.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Boots

I have those boots, after tweaking the shifter it was a non-issue.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I used revzilla and it took a 2nd pair to get the sizing right.

I love the long version of the forma and I did have to use adventuretech lowering and reposition of shifter for size 12 boots. The boots are fantastic as they are very comfortable off the bike...BUT...and its a big one...I really hate to admit...the long boots with the klim goretex armored pants make it nearly impossible to get one's pants down enough and dropping a deuce is a chore to say the least...I apologize...so you made the right choice in the short version ;)

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
My
I was thinking about moving the shifter a bit as well, but also started realizing that down shifting is more difficult for me with the boots as well. It has been difficult to bend my ankle high enough to reset the shifter without lifting my whole foot off the pegs. Raising the shifter will make that worse.

I think my best course of action now will be to get thicker insoles. Hopefully getting my foot more in contact with the inside of the boot will help with my movement having more effect on the boot, my sensitivity to the position of the controls, and proprioception of my feet. If the insoles help, I'll just have to practice with the new footwear. Otherwise I can try adjusting the controls or I might need to look for a different riding boot.

Actual motorcycle specific boots are stiff in the ankle for protection.

Adjust your shift lever so that the toe of the boot fits under it keeping your foot mostly horizontal. Adjust the brake lever so it's level with the peg but requires a good push to fully activate.

Keep the balls of your feet on the pegs. Move your feet to shift or brake. Yes you'll need to lift your feet not try to bend your ankles. When you've completed the shift or brake move your feet back.

Don't ride with your toe under the shift lever or foot on the brake. Stay on the balls of your feet on the pegs!

·
Administrator
16,596 Posts
Installed KLR pegs and adjusted shifter up a spline on the shaft, of course once my Alpinestars Corozal boots broke in.....shifts like butter and gives the clearance you need for the brake pedal.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The protection offered by these boots takes away all subtle feel on the controls and you end up needing to individualise your controls and adjust how you ride. Raising the shifter is almost compulsory.
Did you have the opportunity to try a size 47? They are bad enough without buying a size too large.
It takes a long time to bed in such boots. A trick many dirt bikers would use was to put on new boots with socks at home, fill the boots with water from a garden hose and walk around the yard doing stuff for an hour or two until the boots completely dried inside. And use lots of leather conditioner once you have that shiny impervious sheen off those new boots.
I haven't tried the 47. I ordered them directly from the manufacturer and had to start with one or the other. I even called every motorcycle accessory store in the city to see if anyone head them in stock, but no luck.

When I got these I immediately thought about the smaller size until my toes started touching the inside front of the boot. I may simply have to look for another boot that has a slimmer cut for my length. But first I need to try the insole trick to raise my foot up to the inside of the boot.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lady's and gentlemen, boys and girls... Thanks to all of you for sharing your experience and advice! Problem completely solved...

I know there have been many glowing reviews for AdventureTech's farkle offerings, so let me add my two cents:
I am a tall guy, but I've never suffered from stiff knees (probably due to my Enduro Guardian Highway Pegs), so I never really considered needing AdventureTech's foot peg lowering kit. But my recent troubles with the riding boots not fitting well with the gear shifter and brake lever got me looking at Rick's shifter relocation add-on for his foot peg lowering kit. I contacted him about a version that doesn't require lowering the foot pegs and he confirmed that he does indeed offer a stand alone version if you call him (not listed on the website). Ultimately I decided to just purchase the lowering kit complete with the shifter relocation parts.

The lowering and shifter relocation kit works perfectly!

Some have and will say that you can do the same for free by just adjusting the shifter, but I disagree. Adjusting the shifter up to accommodate the extra size of the riding boots will adversely affect the downshift requiring a full foot lift to step onto the shifter and a full foot lift to reset the shift lever. (I hate when I miss a shift because the lever didn't reset.) Additionally, simply adjusting up the shifter would also compromise the control fit and function for when I ride in plain shoes or hiking boots.

By moving the shifter forward I can maintain my foot planted on the peg and simply lift up or push down to change gears. Keeping my feet planted on the bike instead of floating around in mid air (for the shifter or brake) gives me more finesse with the controls and a more secure "at one" feeling with the motorcycle. This enables better and smoother control for changing gears or adjusting braking at all times, but especially during turns or over shaking terrain.

The kit was very easy to install and has many adjustment choices making it possible to dial in the gear shifter to perfect alignment. Between the kits versatility and Suzuki's factory adjustment rod, I was able to achieve equal spacing above and below the riding boot minimizing snag when positioning for up or down shifts. AND as an awesome added bonus... the controls are equally well positioned for riding with regular shoes/boots.

I can't recommend Rick's kit highly enough to anyone that wants to ride with motorcycle boots. If you don't want to lower you foot pegs, call Rick and ask about the stand alone shifter relocation kit. Worth every penny!!!

P.S.
I was also able to fix the sloppiness inside my boots using the experience/advice freely offered on this great forum... Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Additional Vee2 AdventureTech farkles worth your consideration:
Kickstand foot pad,
Mirror Extenders,
DRL lights and mounting kit (although I ended up fabricating my own - this looks like a very nice all inclusive plug and play solution).
Wig-wag All-you-need license plate frame (due to a supplier back-order issue I ended up going with another license plate frame in time for my week long trip, but I still like the wig-wag and sequential turn signals offered by this item. Rick offers many of the signal dynamics products for the best price I could find. I'll be contacting him for a wig-wag module once I install lights on my top case.)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I like the tall boots and was thinking the same till saw you had all ready said it. All ways a little not as good to most good things.My Klim gear is great.best I ever owned and not a leak in six years but....At 71 the need to pee may be more often and fast to get to. The same that makes good gear water proof makes the pants like a tent to get in to. When riding all day and over 100 miles between gas stops had better go in to rest room first.That gas hitting the tank has had me run in and leave nozzle in tank! Barley making it to rest room in time. Empty your tank before filling the bike's gets more that way over 70!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Was reply to slipstream in my need to pee post. As most old folks do not see what I had done till done.:wink2: Did not see was second page! On the boots have a pair of JoeRocket boots that feel as good as any house shoes I ever owned. Big down side is I think they soak in water instead of repel it. A pair of serious off road I have feel like I need a suit of knight steel to go with them.Walk like frank in stine or in my case Fred S. with them on but feel a truck could run over me and feet would be fine!.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hey @Grimmer; would you mind posting some pictures of your boots on the pegs so we can see the orientation with the shift/brake levers that you ended up with? I'm interested in this for my size 14s, when I finally get around to buying boots.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts