StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been using a wired Chatterbox but was recently contacted by someone from UClear to test their new boom-less HBC100 bluetooth unit. I'm pretty impressed with the clarity and ease of use.

If anyone is interested check out the review I did for them. They are a relatively new company but the HBC100 is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
386 Posts
From your blog

"Bluetooth capability limits range to 30 feet or so. So while it is possible to use 2 HBC100’s on 2 separate motorcycles, if those bikes get much further apart than 30 feet apart the connection will be lost"

Range is pretty dismal, but the lack of a microphone is appealing. What is the cost for these?

·
Super Moderator
4,603 Posts
I need glasses. I read the title as " Unclear Boomless Communication System" :confused:

:green_lol:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Range is pretty dismal, but the lack of a microphone is appealing. What is the cost for these?
Yes obviously bike to bike you would consider something that isn't bluetooth. Rider to passenger, phone, MP3, GPS is what this unit is primarily intended for. I replaced a Chatterbox which required my S.O. and I to plug in, use wires, etc. This unit is much cleaner, no wire, voice activated, no microphone, 5 minutes install, quick pairing. I think $199 each.

Another feature is that they make these for bicyclists and skier/snowboarders so with an accessory pack you can use them other places. I use mine on a bicycle (same unit just different speaker setup). I used it on a photo shoot recently and the photographer remarked at the quality, she heard no wind noise (and I was riding with my visor up). Sound quality was exceptional.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I had been using a wired Chatterbox but was recently contacted by someone from UClear to test their new boom-less HBC100 bluetooth unit. I'm pretty impressed with the clarity and ease of use.

If anyone is interested check out the review I did for them. They are a relatively new company but the HBC100 is pretty impressive.
Nice review. I have a question about the system maybe you can answer. From the review and another I have read it appears that the second helmet wires into the first one? Can you tell me how that works?

Also the speakers are also the microphone and plug in using a mini usb port, like the one that is currently on smart phones for charging?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice review. I have a question about the system maybe you can answer. From the review and another I have read it appears that the second helmet wires into the first one? Can you tell me how that works?

Also the speakers are also the microphone and plug in using a mini usb port, like the one that is currently on smart phones for charging?
Actually there are no wires, the two helmets would each have a unit, the two units are "paired" to each other and the convo is all wireless, as is streaming from a phone/gps/mp3 player.

Yes, the mic is in the speakers. The unit can be charged with the included USB chord and a laptop/PC, the usb also can be plugged into an AC adapter (also included).

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Actually there are no wires, the two helmets would each have a unit, the two units are "paired" to each other and the convo is all wireless, as is streaming from a phone/gps/mp3 player.

Yes, the mic is in the speakers. The unit can be charged with the included USB chord and a laptop/PC, the usb also can be plugged into an AC adapter (also included).
At this time I'm actually more interested in the accessory pack than the unit. I can get the pack for $30 delivered and try out the technology. The accessory pack has a set of the speakers/microphone included and I think I can plug that into my phone using the mini usb connector. My problem with previous units has always been the mic noise.

Thanks again for the review

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At this time I'm actually more interested in the accessory pack than the unit. I can get the pack for $30 delivered and try out the technology. The accessory pack has a set of the speakers/microphone included and I think I can plug that into my phone using the mini usb connector. My problem with previous units has always been the mic noise.

Thanks again for the review
I'm not quite sure what you'll be able to do with just the speakers.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I'm not quite sure what you'll be able to do with just the speakers.
They aren't just speakers, it's also the microphones. The only real difference between this system and others is the technology built into the speakers/microphones not into the controller (or that's what I'm seeing from the reviews I'm reading). That's the new technology not the interface, it's a micro usb headset! What I need to know is what kind of micro or mini usb plug it is. There are several different kinds. Can you identify it off this chart?

USB Connector Guide at Cables To Go

That said I am hoping I can just plug them into my android phone. It may not give me head to head communication which is what the total package does, but it would give me perfect music from my phone and possibly the ability to use my phone (to be seen). If it also gives me the ability to voice dial and answer with my phone that's just an added plus for me and I could actually communicate that way.

And for the onslaught of people about to tell me why I shouldn't use the phone on the bike go for it. It really gets boring on those long interstate rides and music would be great from my phone.

Lets say it didn't work at all. I'd just have a spare set if I purchase this item later. All good

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They aren't just speakers, it's also the microphones. The only real difference between this system and others is the technology built into the speakers/microphones not into the controller (or that's what I'm seeing from the reviews I'm reading). That's the new technology not the interface, it's a micro usb headset! What I need to know is what kind of micro or mini usb plug it is. There are several different kinds. Can you identify it off this chart?

USB Connector Guide at Cables To Go

That said I am hoping I can just plug them into my android phone. It may not give me head to head communication which is what the total package does, but it would give me perfect music from my phone and possibly the ability to use my phone (to be seen). If it also gives me the ability to voice dial and answer with my phone that's just an added plus for me and I could actually communicate that way.

And for the onslaught of people about to tell me why I shouldn't use the phone on the bike go for it. It really gets boring on those long interstate rides and music would be great from my phone.

Lets say it didn't work at all. I'd just have a spare set if I purchase this item later. All good
I listen to music all the time, always have. I'd use the phone when it's safe too. I've used it on back roads with a photographer as I mentioned. You're right it might work but the playback control may be minimal, that's done with buttons on the headset. Not sure but for $30 it couldn't hurt to have an extra set of speakers and mounts.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think you want a USB cable. The USB is only for charging the unit. The speakers will have a male output that may fit your phone.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I don't think you want a USB cable. The USB is only for charging the unit. The speakers will have a male output that may fit your phone.
Ok got it, found a better image

That small plug directly off the speakers is a Mini USB and I can get a small adapter cable that will allow me to plug right into my phone on the Micro USB slot. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yes obviously bike to bike you would consider something that isn't bluetooth.
Sena and Cardo are bluetooth and claim a LOT further range. I've been trying to decide which one I'll be purchasing.

[confused] What's the difference? [/confused]

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Sena and Cardo are bluetooth and claim a LOT further range. I've been trying to decide which one I'll be purchasing.

[confused] What's the difference? [/confused]
Bluetooth was designed as a personal network protocol but there are three classes. Class 1 is up to 100 meters and class 3 is like 5 meters. Bluetooth doesn't go through objects well and is somewhat line of sight. The higher class 1 chipset , as you can imagine, uses much more power. So if I was designing a helmet to helmet type system I'd use the lower power and go for better battery life.

I have friends with the Q2 extended range ones but they suffer from some helmet noise that I am hoping these eliminate.

That being said I'm still saying thanks to Budman for his review. I can't wait to get my hands on the speakers with internal mics

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I checked and it appears my android phone has the same 4 pole pinout as an Iphone for the 3.5 connector jack. So I ordered two adapters to go from a mini USB to a 3.5 for an Iphone. I'm hoping this works as I really want a quiet music selection. Phone capability would be a plus but not really necessary. Being able to give voice commands to my phone a big plus.

So my first piece of my Uclear project came in. The HBC100 accessories pack which I scored off ebay for a mere $32 shipped

This is the equipment in the kit. Basically the speakers/microphones and adapters and some hook and loop to attach them inside your helmet. There is also a USB cable that gets thrown into my assorted cable box since I won't be needing it.

This is a closeup of the speaker so you can see the small microphone in front of it. With a mic on both sides it should provide clear sound plus it doesn't get into the air stream.

This just shows the connector type of the speakers which is a mini USB. I'll be changing that to a 3.5 inch audio/mic connector with 4 connectors when my cables and adapter finish their slow boat ride from China.

Again at the minimum I'll get an awesome set of speakers for my helmet that I wanted regardless. Anything else is just a big plus

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Excellent. Hope it works. Let me know how it goes. I noticed the speakers are magnetized. Not sure why and if that has something to do with noise cancelling.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I checked and it appears my android phone has the same 4 pole pinout as an Iphone for the 3.5 connector jack. So I ordered two adapters to go from a mini USB to a 3.5 for an Iphone. I'm hoping this works as I really want a quiet music selection. Phone capability would be a plus but not really necessary. Being able to give voice commands to my phone a big plus.

So my first piece of my Uclear project came in. The HBC100 accessories pack which I scored off ebay for a mere $32 shipped

Again at the minimum I'll get an awesome set of speakers for my helmet that I wanted regardless. Anything else is just a big plus
So, how has this all worked out for you?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought a set to use in HJC IS-Max helmets for me and my wife. I have a BMW R1150RT. The equipment is very nice and works well but I wear foam earplugs and the volume of the intercom just isnt loud enough. I see UClear is making earbuds. More of a hassle but I may have to go with them. Anyone else have volume problems. To be fair, my hearing is not the greatest.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I noticed the speakers are magnetized. Not sure why and if that has something to do with noise cancelling.
That is how speakers work, using magnets.

To keep the post short, here is a link:
HowStuffWorks "How Speakers Work"

Most speakers are shielded enough in their housing that you don't notice the magnetism.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts