StromTrooper banner

U.S. model and U.K. model spec differences?

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Mark226 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 2007 U.S. model Wee-strom (non-ABS) and was just wondering what the differences are in specification compared with the U.K. model.

I'm thinking of exporting mine to the U.K. and wondered if I'll encounter any issues with parts ordering, etc in the future.

Note: mine isn't one with the California emissions spec - I checked the label! ;-)

Cheers,
Nordkapper

#2 · (Edited)
One thing that comes to mind is the headlights. Euro spec has parking lights in the tops and the UK beam pattern is for left side of the road driving. Also check licensing requirements. Newly licensed riders are limited to 33hp and have power limiting ECMs or carbs on their bikes. Also check emissions requirements as the Euro spec is on a par with or more stringent than California's. Why not ask the authorities in the UK?

#3 ·
Hi Greywolf,

Thanks vm for the reply. Yes I'll need to replace the headlights. The bike won't need to be restricted to 33bhp. I was wondering if any of the other parts are different apart from the difference in engine maping for emissions - I'm hoping that is the only difference. The problems I think are bikes coming to the U.S. rather than the other way around as far as importing / emissions spec, etc.

Cheers,
Nordkapper

#4 ·
Have you checked with the UK authorities? Not having a charcoal canister could be a problem.

#9 ·
So I'll need to look out for a used set of U.K.-spec headlights and should be good to go. Finger's crossed......... :)
I think that will be a swap out of the entire reflector assembly. A change out of the bulb is not going to give that right or left difference. That swap out could get pricey. Keep your US spec equipment just in case...

#8 ·
#11 ·
I came from the state of Georgia to the UK with my 2009 V-Strom. The lights DO NOT need to be changed. When you get your MOT they can adjust your headlights to UK spec. I have not had any problems in the 2 years that I have been in the UK getting anything they I have needed for the V-Strom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.