StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure this has been covered ad in finitum (sic) elsewhere (can't be bothered to trawl though it all) any ideas on what I should replace my original Bridgestone Trail Wings with ? They have 7500 miles and the rear is about square.

Not sure to go for dual purpose or road tyres........I never go off road but like the look.

Anyone got the Battle wing tyres ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't mind the Trailwings at all, but I know a little fella in green tights who swears by Michelin Pilots, loves 'em, and the way he goes, they seem to do a great job.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest I've never had a problem with grip etc........I'm not sure if it's my imagination but they seem to vibrate on the tread blocks at motorway speeds.......Hard to tell if it's the tyre or just general vibes.....

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
"Tyres" have not been done to death.

"Tires" on the other hand.....................

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Possibly a good tyre...

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.co.uk/tyres/ranges/roadRadial/roadSmart/

I noticed that Dunlop moved the availability date from October 2008 to January 2009 for the 19" size RoadSmart in the U.K. The June 2008 issue of Bike magazine tested them & 7 other brands on a Triumph Sprint ST. These & the Pirelli Diablo Strada came out tops for overall performance, grip, stability, etc., but the Stradas aren't available in 19". On the other hand, I have no personal experience with the RoadSmarts, so I have no idea how long they last or if I'd like them as well as Bike did. Unfortunately, only the 17" sizes are sold in the 'States so I can only guess for now.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Not sure to go for dual purpose or road tyres........I never go off road but like the look.
In that case, I'd just by the tyre with the thread pattern I find the most aesthetically appealling and deal with it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A good point and well made. I'm going for the Bridgestone Battlewing dual purpose. Any modern tyre............. TYRE............... is going to have more grip than I have skill anyway so why worry.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
It's like buying a Fender Fretless 5-string Custom Shop Jazz Bass because it looks cool and then realizing you don't need the bridge pickup and you never play the low B-string anyways and you really do miss those frets.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
BTW, I put a knobbly tyre on the front and though it's great on gravel and dirt roads, the noise and vibration on hard braking have become tiresome, especially since 90% of my riding is paved roads.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quite, Fretless bass always a mystery to me...........

TYRES;

On my way back from the Alps last month in freezing driving rain on a long sweeping left handed bend on a motorway I can only describe as being on stilts with a killer crosswind I entered a tunnel and my visor steamed up.........

As I was hanging onto the bars in a terrified death grip with French and Italian truck drivers bearing down on me two Germans on BMW GS1200's came past cranked right over in close formation at about 110mph...............The grip is there I've no doubt.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Since it really is a road bike, you might like Metzeler Road Tec Z6's wear very well, like water and do not chatter and slide like the OEM tires, less prone to head shake also if you do not have a damper installed.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
On my way back from the Alps last month in freezing driving rain on a long sweeping left handed bend on a motorway I can only describe as being on stilts with a killer crosswind I entered a tunnel and my visor steamed up.........

As I was hanging onto the bars in a terrified death grip with French and Italian truck drivers bearing down on me two Germans on BMW GS1200's came past cranked right over in close formation at about 110mph...............The grip is there I've no doubt.
Sounds quite pleasant.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm pleasant yeah..............Once my riding buddy had prized my hands from the bars and slapped me to get rid of the 2000 yard stare stripping off in the toilets to warm myself on a hand dryer seemed just natural.

If I seem obsessed my therapist says it's good for me to talk about it........................

1 - 13 of 13 Posts