StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dear fellow v-stromer,

I have just embarked on a long motorcycle trip starting im Halfiax NS and the plan is to drive to Alaska to begin with for those interested here is a link to a blog I am keeping Phillys Big Trip

I am going to need a service and new tyres and I think this will be in the Alberta or yukon region so my question is can anyone recomend a good dealer who can do a 6000-12000km service and set of reasonably priced tyres or would this be cheaper in Alaska US? so any ideas or thoughts and or recomendations please let me know

·
Registered
438 Posts
dear fellow v-stromer,

I have just embarked on a long motorcycle trip starting im Halfiax NS and the plan is to drive to Alaska to begin with for those interested here is a link to a blog I am keeping Phillys Big Trip

I am going to need a service and new tyres and I think this will be in the Alberta or yukon region so my question is can anyone recomend a good dealer who can do a 6000-12000km service and set of reasonably priced tyres or would this be cheaper in Alaska US? so any ideas or thoughts and or recomendations please let me know
I can't help you w/a dealer, but I am quite happy w/my tyres from Mitas tires at mx1 Canada.

Details are posted in this thread:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/suspension-tire-tech/75635-wee-strom-rear-off-road-tire-sugestion.html

I am sure they would ship ahead to a dealer and you could get your service done and tyres mounted at once.

If you end up with questions enroute from Colombia to Chile feel free to ask.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I can't help you w/a dealer, but I am quite happy w/my tyres from Mitas tires at mx1 Canada.

Details are posted in this thread:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/suspension-tire-tech/75635-wee-strom-rear-off-road-tire-sugestion.html

I am sure they would ship ahead to a dealer and you could get your service done and tyres mounted at once.

If you end up with questions enroute from Colombia to Chile feel free to ask.
I dont know what idea you have of Canada, but he wont go 8000 km across the country off road...and we have alsphalt here...

·
Registered
2 Posts
dear fellow v-stromer,

I just picked up a set of Heidenau's in Calgary. Try GW Cycle they seem very honest. Regards, Dave.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I dont know what idea you have of Canada, but he wont go 8000 km across the country off road...and we have alsphalt here...
He asked about where to get a tyre in N BC or the Yukon, not what tyre to to cross the nation on. I'd take the e-07's, I explore a lot of gravel & I don't press my luck on the Tarmac.

OTH, you are right, if he never veers from the Alcan and takes I-5 and the pan am south, the Mitas tyres are not a good choice

My idea of Canada is limited to the interior BC, W Alberta the Southern Yukon, SW BC (n to whislter) & Vacouver Island.

It has awesome whitewater & skiing, old growth forest, high alpine glacier, rain forest and endless stands of fir. It has countless miles of dirt road to be explored and many very nice paved highways. Much like the USA.

The e-07's are what I'd shoe up in N BC were it me, but he could obviously roll on Anakees or whatever.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What's he doing with Grey Wolfs bike

Does Grey Wolf know you took his bike? just because you changed the luggage to Trax does not fool us. :green_lol:

Looks like you have almost identical yellow to GW's bike.

If you pass through Vancouver BC PM me if you need anything.

Cheers.

DJB

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the interesting responses some useful info to be gleaned from the above. Kiwi Canuck I know it may be blasphemous to say anything about grey wolf on this forum but I painted mine first so I guess he must of got the yellow idea from me:jaw drop: and thanks for your kind offer of any help will keep that in mind when I am passing through BC not sure when that will be as Canada is turning out to be larger than I anticipated.

·
Registered
314 Posts
We are happy to help out a fellow Strommer. Just let us know what you need and we will do our best to point you in the right direction no matter where you are in the country.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I just picked up a set of Heidenau's in Calgary. Try GW Cycle they seem very honest. Regards, Dave.
Bought my bike at GW Cycle World. They give little flash and fancy when it comes to their store compared to some (like Blackfoot "megastore style"), but they have lots of selection and good prices. Family run business.

Recommended.

·
Registered
14 Posts
British Columbia

If you need any assistance when passing through B.C. I would be glad to help out, or just to have a coffee. I'm located in the South Surrey area of B.C.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
You definitely should get new tires either at Calgary or Edmonton before you get on to the Alcan. In Yukon the only motorcycle dealers you are likely to encounter are in Whitehorse, and they (based on my experience there) have limited inventory and therefore not all sizes.

If you still have good rubber you may be able to get all the way to Anchorage, AK. I'm not personally familiar with the scene there, but I would imagine there are well-stocked shops. One thing you can do is order ahead to have new rubber waiting for you at your chosen shop.

·
Administrator
13,552 Posts
You definitely should get new tires either at Calgary or Edmonton before you get on to the Alcan. In Yukon the only motorcycle dealers you are likely to encounter are in Whitehorse, and they (based on my experience there) have limited inventory and therefore not all sizes.

If you still have good rubber you may be able to get all the way to Anchorage, AK. I'm not personally familiar with the scene there, but I would imagine there are well-stocked shops. One thing you can do is order ahead to have new rubber waiting for you at your chosen shop.
You replied to a thread that was last June. :) I think he is somewhere down in South America now.

..Tom

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Better late than never, eh?:green_lol:

·
Registered
63 Posts

Agree, Calgary was half the price of Whitehorse but the Honda dealer in Whitehorse had a good ramge and fitting was free, but I still should have replaced the tyre in Calgary just for the peace of mind wondering if I would get to somewhere with stock.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
....but the Honda dealer in Whitehorse had a good range and fitting was free
You were luckier than me. I waited several days for a promised tire in my size to arrive on order from Edmonton, then gave up and fitted a "close-enough" size.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
It's been quite a while since I lived in Bolivia, but I'm pretty sure you will have better luck finding anything in Peru -- especially Lima -- rather than La Paz.

Here's a number you can contact to get some info on the Bridgestone motorcycle tire dealer network:

MITSUI DEL PERU S.A.
CAMINO REAL 456, TORRE REAL 9-PISOM, OFFICINA 903, SAN ISIDRO LIMA. 27, PERU
Phone:511-40-1696, Fax:511-41-6335

Other for other brands I don't know, but there ought to be info online.

You can find Suzuki dealers in Peru at this website:

Suzuki Perú

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thanks for the info and your right better late than never :thumbup:

I am in Cali Colombia starting to work my way down south and if your interested in my trip here is my blog Phillys Big Trip | Alaska to Chile or is that Argentina

will be needing new tyres in Peru or Bolivia so any hints for there also appreciated
Are u staying at Mike's hostal? If so, say hi from Neal/glasswave.

For the most part, it should be easier to find tires in Ecuador than Peru. No place will be as easy or cheap as CO, so you may want to consider, buying & carrying for awhile.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts