StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're a Tyre user like me, the following announcement from the creators of Tyre to Travel might be a little disconcerting:

28 May 2018 by Michel van Hagen

Many route planners will discontinue!
Many current route planners that are based on Google Maps have been discontinued or will soon be discontinued. This is because from 11 June Google Maps will no longer function without the API key and an API key just costs to far much money. Tyre will keep on going, but without Google Maps, the Tyre programmer is currently working day and night to implement a different map service.

MyRoute-app will continue!
For MyRoute-app this does not pose as a problem, since right from the beginning we have had a professional and legal Google Maps API key. This in combination with the official map services of TomTom and Here (Garmin) as well as including map layers of OpenStreetMap, Michelin and Street view, makes it a pleasure to plan and share your travels with MyRoute-app.

I'm a huge Tyre fan, so I was disappointed to hear this. Whether they work something out before June 11 remains to be seen, but to cover my bases I did register for their new basic (free) MyRoute site, and started messing around with it to see how it worked. It's relatively easy to use, and to import and export files in multiple navigation formats, but it appears the program has lost some of the functionality of the Tyre program. For one thing, it doesn't appear that you can import waypoints from another file into an existing one that you're working on (something I often find myself doing if I'm planning a multi-day trip). The new app is cloud based and doesn't require downloading the program to your computer, though you do need to download a program than enables you to export a route from MyRoute to a GPS unit via a USB cable.

Just wanted to get the word out there to any other Tyre users, so they can get ahead of this and see if the MyRoute site suits them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Google honestly seems to screw up everything. I like TYRE; it's easy to create a route (much easier than Basecamp!). Google has retired/hosed up/binned so many good services that they used to have. They seem to embody "change for the sake of change" rather than change for improvement. Hopefully, TYRE will work out something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not a Basecamp fan either. I've tried multiple times to get used to it, and it was a no-go. Tyre is way easier.

In the event they aren't able to get a new source for maps for Tyre, the MyRoute program is a workable alternative (at least so far). It has the same downside that Tyre had; you need an internet connection for it to work. That's where Basecamp has the advantage, but not enough of an advantage for me to plow through the tutorial again.

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Open Street Maps would be my guess, as the paid version of MyRoute already has the option to use that (along with Garmin and Tom Tom maps).

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
I have been using the MyRoute app/program for over a year and really like it. I have planned about 60 days of routes with it. Both in Europe and North America. I used to use Tyre for several years, but haven't since I started using MyRoute.

RC - I am not sure what you mean by not being able to import another route. I have done it many times but maybe I don't understand what you mean. ie. if I have a route saved on my computer, or someone sends me one, I just import it into MyRoute and it displays just fine. I can then add/delete waypoints to customize it.

One other thing that MyRoute does.....it integrates/links seamlessly with their MyRoute Navigation smartphone app which appears to work as well as virtually any standalone GPS unit does (as far as navigation goes).

My days of using a standalone GPS unit are almost over I think. Certainly won't be buying another one. Of course the HUGE advantage of the Navigation app (as well as most smartphone GPS apps) is the free (or nearly so) maps and upgrades. Something that TomTom, Garmin, etc. charge a lot for (especially other areas of the world that were not resident on your unit).

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
Apple has supported TomTom maps after face planting doing their own. That might give TomTom maps an edge for easy integration of nav with iOS.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been using the MyRoute app/program for over a year and really like it. I have planned about 60 days of routes with it. Both in Europe and North America. I used to use Tyre for several years, but haven't since I started using MyRoute.

RC - I am not sure what you mean by not being able to import another route. I have done it many times but maybe I don't understand what you mean. ie. if I have a route saved on my computer, or someone sends me one, I just import it into MyRoute and it displays just fine. I can then add/delete waypoints to customize it.

One other thing that MyRoute does.....it integrates/links seamlessly with their MyRoute Navigation smartphone app which appears to work as well as virtually any standalone GPS unit does (as far as navigation goes).

My days of using a standalone GPS unit are almost over I think. Certainly won't be buying another one. Of course the HUGE advantage of the Navigation app (as well as most smartphone GPS apps) is the free (or nearly so) maps and upgrades. Something that TomTom, Garmin, etc. charge a lot for (especially other areas of the world that were not resident on your unit).
Often when I plan a route, I break it up into segments (a day's ride is one segment). However, I often like to have a complete route of all the segments joined together as one long route, so I can see the total mileage and ride time at a glance. To do this, I used to start a new file, then import the waypoints from each day's segment into the new file, joining them all together. Tyre allowed you to do this through their "add waypoints from another file" feature. I could import selected waypoints from any number of separate files and seamlessly join them all together. I don't see that feature duplicated on the MyRoute app.

·
Registered
14,216 Posts
when I wanna look at stuff on the computer i go to Bing maps. When traveling I use my Garmin.
paper maps back up my travel plans in case the power goes out.

·
Super Moderator
13,078 Posts
Often when I plan a route, I break it up into segments (a day's ride is one segment). However, I often like to have a complete route of all the segments joined together as one long route, so I can see the total mileage and ride time at a glance. To do this, I used to start a new file, then import the waypoints from each day's segment into the new file, joining them all together. Tyre allowed you to do this through their "add waypoints from another file" feature. I could import selected waypoints from any number of separate files and seamlessly join them all together. I don't see that feature duplicated on the MyRoute app.
You really a ought to look into Furkot. It can show your route as a single file or as individual dates with a few simple clicks. It normally exports each day as a separate, dated fille and (I'm pretty sure) as a single trip.

..Tom

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You really a ought to look into Furkot. It can show your route as a single file or as individual dates with a few simple clicks. It normally exports each day as a separate, dated fille and (I'm pretty sure) as a single trip.

..Tom
Based on your earlier post, I thought Furkot was going to lose access to Google Maps also.......

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
MyRoute has the ability to create a route and then divide it up into segments. ie. Create a multiday route and then divide it up into days.
Would that work?
BTW - it is the "gold" edition that has this feature.

·
Super Moderator
13,078 Posts
Based on your earlier post, I thought Furkot was going to lose access to Google Maps also.......
Ithink they're in the same boat regarding Google Maps.

The reason I brought up was because you mentioned setting up the route as individual days and also viewing the whole trip. That is easy in Furkot.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
RC,
At the risk of sounding like a shill for the MyRoute program, it also has the ability to link days together. Ie. create several day routes and then join them together. The reverse of the splitting a multi day route as it were.

Here is a screen shot of 4 days of a recent trip to the Alps.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You don't sound like a shill, drrod. It looks like what you're describing is one of the things I want to be able to do. I'm not knocking the MyRoute app; the guys who designed Tyre seem like they have a handle on what motorcycle riders need, so I know it must be a decent product. Once I get some more time with the program, I'll get a better handle on what its capabilities are.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
In one of my rare moments of making a good call, I bought a "lifetime gold" subscription to MyRoute about 18 months ago. Turns out to be one of my better purchases. Wish I could say the same for some stocks I have bought!:crying2:
Like most programs, the more you use it the more features you discover and the easier it is to use . Keep playing with it and I think you will discover that it will do pretty much all you are asking AND it does not have to rely on Google maps.

Being as how you are familiar with Tyre, here is a link to a comparison of Tyre and MyRoute.

Tyre & MyRoute app, what about it? : Support

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think you have to get the paid version to have access to the Garmin, Tom Tom, and open source maps. When I use the free version, the only map option is Google Maps. That's actually ok with me, since that's the only option I had with Tyre, and the MyRoute app apparently is authorized for the Google Maps even though Tyre isn't.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts