StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about your perspectives on rear tyre choices for the Vee. My rear Anakee is getting a little low and the choices I can find locally at the moment in Victoria near where I live is a Pirelli Scorpion trail $139 and a Dunlop Trailmax $239. Is the Trailmax really $100 better?

I really liked the reviews of the Anakee 2 but I can't find them anywhere for sale. I have been happy with the Anakee. If it assists in helping me decide I do about 5% dirt riding.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Scorpions

I'm curious about your perspectives on rear tyre choices for the Vee. My rear Anakee is getting a little low and the choices I can find locally at the moment in Victoria near where I live is a Pirelli Scorpion trail $139 and a Dunlop Trailmax $239. Is the Trailmax really $100 better?

I really liked the reviews of the Anakee 2 but I can't find them anywhere for sale. I have been happy with the Anakee. If it assists in helping me decide I do about 5% dirt riding.
The Pirelli Scorpions are probably suited to your style of riding @5% dirt. They perform better at lower pressure on dirt. 25psi. I got 19 000 kms out of my set, replaced with Karoos for some more dirty work. Will be going back to less aggressive pattern shortly when Karoos wear out, shouldn't be much longer.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I will take some flack for this I am sure, but I liked the original Trail wing better than the Tourance...

now I use a Darkside.... if you don't know.... don't ask....:jawdrop:

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
I will take some flack for this I am sure, but I liked the original Trail wing better than the Tourance...
Me too. In fact, I think I would have liked a square tire better than the Tourances, hated those things. :)

For as little dirt as your doing, a straight street tire might suit you fine. I've got Pilot Road 3s on now, wonderful tires, and for the occasional dirt road they do just fine.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I'm running Anakee 2s ATM and can touch down pegs with tyres performing A1. Dirt roads A1 also. Pirelli Road 3 has v good reviews. Pay thru the nose Aust. prices now that somebody has leaned on U.S. suppliers. Importers/distributers like modern Ned Kellys.:furious:

·
Registered
3,991 Posts

The ST is a pretty good tire for a 650 at least. Works surprisingly well on gravel and I found they stuck well on seal and in particular didn't evaporate in hot summer riding. (Tourances were terrible there). Certainly better than Tourances or Anakee I's.

Pete

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. Great help.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I ran the Conti Trail Attacks as my last tyre, they were very good. I got 24,000kms. I got the same distance from the Metzler Tourances (the non-EXP ones).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Very impressed with my Heidenau 140/80 on the back and heidenau 110/80 on front,caught in a lot of rain two up with alot of camping gear,felt very comfertable with them,good on gravel as well

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
how do you report misuse to the mods?
This new user bargarbutt is clowning around.
Done.

Top right hand corner, click on what looks like a safety triangle with an exclamation mark in it [you can report any site member for what you feel is a breach of site rules or an offensive post].

Write what your concern is re post in the reply box [ie. off topic, offensive, link to business website, spam] then submit the reply.

The mods will look at it, remove the post if it breaches site guidelines, issue a warning to the person who posted it, or if the user is a spammer they will block that user from posting on the forum again.

Most of these posters have a low post count and a link to a website in the sig line at the bottom of the post.

There will most likely be a spate of these over a short time from new "members" with low post counts, then they will stop again for a while [based on past experience they come in "clusters"].

·
Registered
608 Posts
Tx, Ocker.

I had read the FAQ and it said there are Alert buttons all over the place, so I was looking for links labelled Alert. Missed the triangles!

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Ok.....getting back to Tyres for a bit, I'm just about due for my first set since I bought the wee.
I have the metz Tourances on at the moment and have been eyeing off a set of Heidenau K60's front and rear fitted for $549 is this reasonable?

Has anyone tried these tyres and how are they in the wet/dry and gravel?

My riding usually comprises of short distance commute to work, some day rides and some medium touring. I haven't done much gravel yet but would like to try on some easy stuff first before I get too adventurous.

Would these be the right tyres to get or would I be better off with more road going tyres?
I'm not a fast rider and I'm not likely to scrape the pegs anytime in this lifetime but would like a more usuable tyre.

I don't really know how many KMs I got out of the tourances but I've done only 6,500kms on them and they'd have about 1,000kms left in them. I reckon the tourances are pretty good in the wet and dry bitumen but they seem to wear pretty quick, especially after my 2,800km tour including the Bingara meet up.

The Heidenaus have a pretty chunky tread on them compared to the Tourances but how do they compare for wear...are they a good touring tyre?

Hope someone can help me with this query as it's a lot of dollars and I wanna make the right choice.

Cheers

Wobbly_boot

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
K60s and others

G'day Wobbly. I ran a set of Heidenaus K60s a couple of years ago but I believe the compound may have changed as reports have them now giving less milage. The originals gave me something like 13000kms with plenty left when I took them off.
As with any tyre with aggressive tread they can be noisy but the new patten called Scout may be much better. I found the constant noise a little annoying but others less precious than me:mrgreen: don't mind.
Personally I don't believe you need this type of tyre unless you do mostly dirt or have a big dirt trip in mind. Tourance and Anakee 2 would be ok for what you plan, just stay away from mud.
Ride safe and steady
Saturn 5 ...Still on the launch pad

·
Registered
456 Posts
The K60s are a great all round tyre. I have had a few sets and love em wet or dry, tar or dirt. My current front Scout K60 has 14k on it and a few more Thou to go yet.
The rear Scout K60 i took off at around 7k, plenty of tread left but wore flat. $549 is OUTRAGES:yikes:, try and get them from O/S, Got my last set from the USA for less than half that including postage, but ya gotta shop around for sites that will post to AUS and wont rip u off for postage.

·
Registered
126 Posts
A bit exxy!

Hey wobbly boot it may be worth your while to have a look at the Mitas range, the E-07's are rated at a 50% road 50% dirt tyre thus similar to the Heidi's and nowadays are available in Strom/GS sizes at considerably less cost than Heidi's :fineprint:

Mitas & Trelleborg Safari Tyres

Can be dificult to find someone who deals in them, but nothing good ever comes without some pain! :headbang:

Cheers, wanderlost.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
have been eyeing off a set of Heidenau K60's front and rear fitted for $549 is this reasonable?

Has anyone tried these tyres and how are they in the wet/dry and gravel?

My riding usually comprises of short distance commute to work, some day rides and some medium touring. I haven't done much gravel yet but would like to try on some easy stuff first before I get too adventurous.

Would these be the right tyres to get or would I be better off with more road going tyres?
I'm not a fast rider and I'm not likely to scrape the pegs anytime in this lifetime but would like a more usuable tyre.
Based on your description of your riding style K60s are far to aggressive. Try k76s.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Shinkos 705

Hey Dave, I fitted shinkos a couple of weeks back - they are 75road 25 dirt, I done the trip out to Lightning ridge and at this stage I am happy with them for the limited amount of dirt riding I am doing The ratio is a good combination. Rear $189 front $159 fitted you can ask RT liney, Farmer Stom and Armstrong about them as they had a good look at them on the trip.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 39 Posts