StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be getting my v-strom in the next couple weeks and I'm curious what you all are using for gear. i have my helmet picked out already now I just need a good jacket and pants! Any pointers would be great!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Depends on season

I have a perforated leather jacket and kevlar lined jeans for warm weather, a standard leather jacket and leather jeans for cold weather. For wet weather I have a Dririder style fabric jacket with quilted liner and waterproof overpants to go over my leather jeans. I always wear my modular full face helmet, Alpine Stars waterproof boots and my summer vented or winter waterproof leather gloves. I have donated skin to the abrasive road gods in my youth and don't plan to give them any more, protection is much better than road rash. Enjoy the ride , stay safe, always wear the right gear.:yesnod:

·
Administrator
16,599 Posts
Make a road trip to Columbus Ohio and hit the Iron Pony superstore, they have every gear option you could possibly imagine. :fineprint: Just too many variables for gear, much depends on how you ride, where you ride, when you ride, do you want waterproof, 3 season or 4 season, leather, textile......etc. You can be thrifty, can be modest, or can spend a small fortune.....get my drift? ;)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
A jacket and pants that fit are recommended. The rest (material, lining, armour, style etc) is personal preference.
Boots are also strongly recommended. Canvas runners, slip-on ANYTHING and "flip-flops" are NOT recommended. The rest (see above) is personal preference.
Hell, the whole lot is personal preference, just own the decisions you make.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm really just worried if I get 4 season gear during the summer it will be too hot! I work at s dirt bike shop and have full access to WPS and a parts unlimited catalog so that's where I plan to order my gear from! I just am worried about spending 400$ on all my gear and hating it! As for boots I just plan to wear my red wing work boots!

·
Administrator
13,203 Posts
After goigh through three different sets of various Jackets aned Pants I got myslef a two-piece Aerostich Roadcrafter. I ride in weather from single digit °F to over 100°f and use the same Roadcrafter for all the conditions. Although it is lots of money in the long run I spent way less on the the Roadcraftter than what I spent bon the preious gear.

There is no right or wrong answer but I would suggest you try and think long and hard about what you want and don't be afraid to get quality stuff.

Here's another thread that you might find useful:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/177137-what-gear-do-you-wear-why-including-your-helmet.html

..Tom

·
Administrator
16,599 Posts
I'm really just worried if I get 4 season gear during the summer it will be too hot! I work at s dirt bike shop and have full access to WPS and a parts unlimited catalog so that's where I plan to order my gear from! I just am worried about spending 400$ on all my gear and hating it! As for boots I just plan to wear my red wing work boots!
You MUST try all your gear on, and todays 3 season gear tends to ventilate and breath quite well. You could always get a Summer to go along with a 3 or 4 season jacket, they tend to be cheaper than the multi-season jackets. Don't ride in jeans, and get some proper motorcycle boots if you don't already.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Boot laces in the chain can have a startling effect.

Huge range of personal preferences and budgets for gear. Leather has the advantage of letting you slide on the pavement, not grabbing like fabric and rolling you. Higher cost fabric (Cordura or Kevlar, some others) won't melt from from road friction. Better quality breathable water coatings cost more. Waterproof vent zippers cost more. You want CE rated armor in the spine, shoulders, elbows, hips, knees. Often spine padding is useless thin foam; aftermarket spine armor is available. You want armored gloves. I prefer gray pants for summer coolness and safety yellow coat--maybe 51% of the drivers will notice me rather than just 50%.

Be sure your helmet has its internal shape that matches the shape of your head...round, oval, long oval. The helmet must fit correctly all around your head.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

·
Registered
115 Posts
Make a road trip to Columbus Ohio and hit the Iron Pony superstore, they have every gear option you could possibly imagine. :fineprint: Just too many variables for gear, much depends on how you ride, where you ride, when you ride, do you want waterproof, 3 season or 4 season, leather, textile......etc. You can be thrifty, can be modest, or can spend a small fortune.....get my drift? ;)
Big B, I wear the same outfit as the guy in your avatar picture except my hat is pointier & has a chinstrap. Oh yeahhh. But seriously I bought the least expensive Bell Star helmet I could find, a Leather-Up leather jacket with shoulder & elbow armor & leather over-pants not chaps to try. I usually wear my 6" work boots with composite toe & I picked up some padded gloves. Although thinking about it, if we all really wore Randy's outfit no-one would get in our way or not notice us... hmmmm

·
Administrator
16,599 Posts
Big B, I wear the same outfit as the guy in your avatar picture except my hat is pointier & has a chinstrap. Oh yeahhh. But seriously I bought the least expensive Bell Star helmet I could find, a Leather-Up leather jacket with shoulder & elbow armor & leather over-pants not chaps to try. I usually wear my 6" work boots with composite toe & I picked up some padded gloves. Although thinking about it, if we all really wore Randy's outfit no-one would get in our way or not notice us... hmmmm
I like how you think!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts

You MUST try all your gear on, and todays 3 season gear tends to ventilate and breath quite well. You could always get a Summer to go along with a 3 or 4 season jacket, they tend to be cheaper than the multi-season jackets. Don't ride in jeans, and get some proper motorcycle boots if you don't already.
I second Big B's response- forget shopping out of a catalog. You MUST try on your gear. When I had my Touring gear, I tried on a Tour Master Jacket - something just was not right with it. This was at the Americade on a typical Rainy Day. The Vendor told me to buy it, try it and if I didn't like it, bring it back tomorrow. After riding two hours in it, whatever was just 'not right' became unbearable. I brought it back, tried out some Olympia gear and bought that instead. Now you might not be as lucky as I was that week, but I will tell you that trying it on AND sitting on YOUR bike with the gear on is a MUST!

·
Registered
578 Posts
First of all you can get most of your gear used and in mint condition.
Ebay is your friend.

Layers are also your friend.

here's my gear setup.

Dianese city guard mesh full armor jacket. (chest, back, elbows and shoulders... not the usual so called armor made from foam or rubber of some kind)

Leather jacket with armor removed to go over the Dianese mesh jacket.
I have a heavy Coretech.

Then on top of that a high viz hit-air airbag vest that turns you into a michelin man if you come off the bike.

For legs.

Alpine star armored shorts (composite and steel mesh plates.. remarkably comfy)

Leatt articulated composite knee and shin guards worn under your pants.

Be safe my friend.

I see you have KTM in your alias...... what do you have in orange?

Heavy mesh pants with loads of ventilation and a removable liner for the cold.

Proper motorcycle boots with toe, heel and ankle guards. Proper boots are really important.

I also think your gear budget is a bit too low. IMO it's much better to spend less on your motorcycle but get very good gear.

Too often I see guys with $10,000 BMW adventure bikes with another $4,000 in farkles and then they are wearing crappy gear.

There are loads of great motorcycle deals out there. Hunt down one like crazy and spend what you save on the right gear.

Look at accident compilations on youtube as an incentive to get good gear.

One last thing... CE rated armor does not mean it's effective. That is just a material rating and not all rate at the same level. Most gear has very poorly placed armor that will slide way out of place even in moderate accidents.

My brother is a orthopedic doctor and my other brother runs a motorcycle magazine. Both rode and one obviously still rides. Both say it's all about the gear... the motorcycle is secondary.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It kind of depends on whether you're typically a hot person or not. You're in Michigan, so it's not like you're in the desert southwest. I've been wearing Aerostich Darien jacket and overpants for about 20 years now (second jacket, third pants), and they're loose enough that there's always just enough ventilation. And of course i can fit sweaters and electric vests underneath for warmth. Remember that any days that the heat keeps you from riding in your gear in July or August are more than made up for by extra riding days in the spring or fall.

The main thing is that your gear be super easy to use, so that you're never tempted to not use it because you're in a rush.

paul

·
Registered
261 Posts
Get some riding boots fir certain along with all the other safety gear. If you have ever come across any bike wrecks you'll know why. I have seen a few and the rider has been knocked out of their footwear everytime. You want something that will stay on your feet. Those small bones in the feet crush easily.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Just go to General Forum. There is a thread - "what gear do you wear and way?" It will give you pretty good idea what to look for and what to get. Oh yeh. Congratulations on your new toy!

·
Registered
22,196 Posts
Higher cost fabric (Cordura or Kevlar, some others) won't melt from from road friction.
Cordura is nylon and will melt from friction but, it holds up better to abrasion than Kevlar. Kevlar is more puncture resistant

IMHO, Cordura is better gear than Kevlar, abrasion is a motorcyclist's most common contact, because it melts, a base layer of something non nylon should be worn underneath

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts