Strom Trooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I was planning some routes for next year, and looking at the area around eastern Utah. I'll be riding two-up on my Super Tenere. For those of you that are familiar with the Moki Dugway and the Valley of the Gods, is there any reason these roads aren't "do-able" for two-up riding? I've seen videos of both on Youtube, but sometimes some first hand info is better.

I was also looking at riding down Old Monarch Pass in Colorado...any opinions on this one too?

·
Registered
307 Posts
If you are confident riding 2-up on gravel, Moki and V of the G should be no problem. At the top of Moki is a road that goes off to Muley Point. ABSOLUTELY WORTH THE RIDE!!!!

I did them 2-up on my GL1500.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, remoandiris, that's good information. We do a lot of riding here in NC on gravel so I'm comfortable with it. Sand, of course, is a different story. I read about Muley Point on line, and had included that on the route plan; glad to hear it's worth the trip.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
If you are confident riding 2-up on gravel, Moki and V of the G should be no problem. At the top of Moki is a road that goes off to Muley Point. ABSOLUTELY WORTH THE RIDE!!!!

I did them 2-up on my GL1500.
Second this as far as the Moki goes. My buddy rode it on a BMW 1600GTL. Just take your time.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I took a group of 4 cruisers over the Moki, all two up and two of the riders have 0 dirt experience. We all did fine. Of course, had there been any precipitation recently, we would have gone around another way.
Pictures 10 through 18 here are of the Moki.

http://2mbstonestravels.blogspot.com/2016/08/awesome-couples-ride-2016-pt-1.html

On you way to Utah the Grand Mesa road in Colorado is well worth the time.

Google map this for a nice route into Utah.
Gunnison, Co
Crawford, Co
Grand Mesa, Co
Gateway, CO
La Sal, Ut

·
Registered
307 Posts
One safety topic that probably won't affect you with your gravel experience, the effin tar snakes out there SUCK!!!!! Especially in hot weather. Leaning into a curve at 60 mph and feeling the squiggles gives a little pucker factor.

One thing about NC/KY/TN/N Ge mtns...not a lot of tar snakes. Tar snakes are all over the place in Utah.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
One safety topic that probably won't affect you with your gravel experience, the effin tar snakes out there SUCK!!!!! Especially in hot weather. Leaning into a curve at 60 mph and feeling the squiggles gives a little pucker factor.

One thing about NC/KY/TN/N Ge mtns...not a lot of tar snakes. Tar snakes are all over the place in Utah.
Second That!! They don't just give you wiggles. I had my front wheel break loose at speed, very worrying. After that I was real careful because this could have ended badly.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Shouldn't be an issue to ride those roads 2 up. Watch the possible sand drift traps heading out on the road to Muley Point! Those can be interesting at times!

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Going from the floor to the top of Moki (southwest to northeast) is easier.

I'd also recommend you turn off your traction control before running up hill there. I forgot to do that on my Super Tenere and with all the washboarding I was at less than walk speed a couple of times and hoping I wouldn't stall and stop dead before getting to the top.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts