StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg216/barry_buchanan/2008%20Modifications/Barry-Reuben-Bike04-06-08copy.jpg

His bike and his dog, (Black Lab).

Finally got my first ride in of the season. Left MDI in 35 degree temps this morning. Hit Camden, Livermore Falls, Kingfield, Levant and back home. Did 345 miles.

Greywolf, you are right, Low Temp setting is sufficient for Symtec Heated Grips.

tmcgee, the Digitalmeter, voltmeter works well. I mounted mine on top of my left handguard in a "box" for clear visibility.

Really no snow on the coast, but I was riding through 4' tall snowbanks on either side of the road in the Phillips, Strong, Weld areas! The roads were pretty rough in some places, some cars in front of me had to crawl to 5 - 10 mph to make it over the potholes. I could cruise at 40 - 50 mph over them! I found one road that doesn't exist anymore..........after I got in about 1/2 mile....it's definitely Mud Season! (Some of the pitfalls of a GPS......).

Snowmobiler's exchanged waves as I raced by while they waited to cross the road on their trails in the mountain areas.

Installed a new Superbrace. I'll install my new Sonic Springs when I get back from my next trip.

Headed to New Jersey next weekend to visit family.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Black Lab,

Black Lab's are great companion's, I have a 12 year old female. She's a little slow these day's but a great dog.
Love the rough and tough look of your bike too.
The weather south of you is quite a bit milder. You should have a good ride. Enjoy

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
My Avatar is a picture of my dog, Nikon.

Raised him to be a guide dog for the blind.

At 20 months in age he passed his entrance exam, but flunked out six months later.

He's nine now and is just starting to show his age, not act his age, just showing it.

Norm

·
0 Posts
I like your shield....but FOUR MIRRORS???:D

Whaddya use on the shield?
Rynoliner??

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4 mirrors = Bifocals.

I would like to replace the handlbar mirrors with mirrors that are mounted farther forward and more inline with my focused vision, (Road, GPS, Guages, Mirrors).

I find that I have to refocus my vision from Forward to the Side to see what's in the mirrors.

I found these on a closeout rack at my local dealership. They are Honda VFR mirrors. I got them for $25.00 for the pair and guessed at a mounting location, (working by myself here........), somewhat forced by the fairing attachments underneath the front cowling.

I will confess that I DID NOT get them exactly where I need them to achieve what I was looking for. But, they do fill a blind spot for me while riding on the highway. I am going to leave them for now and later try shimming them a bit with an angled plastic base. Just sort of burnt out on working on the bike and just want to ride it! Eventually, I want to get back to just two mirrors; mounted up front on the cowling.

You are exactly right!

I sprayed the luggage rack, (The OEM powdercoating I could scrape off with my fingernail), Motech Skid Plate, my homemade PIAA light bar and the windshield with a rubberized, non-asphalt, undercoat paint I purchased at my local autoparts store. Essentially, I Rhinolined some of my bike. Up close, people have given me positive compliments about the looks.

Seeing what some of the Flat Black Club members have done, I will Rhinoline my muffler guard to keep the look going.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Labs are just "love on four legs"! - but then (as I read somewhere recently and wholeheartedly agree with) "Time spend with a dog is never time wasted"

I love the look of the four mirrors, makes it look a bit like a praying mantis or a transformer!

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Love that light setup you have. Wouldnt' mind seeing some close up pictures of the way you mounted the light bar.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Love that light setup you have. Wouldnt' mind seeing some close up pictures of the way you mounted the light bar.
The first picture is dead on from the front.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg216/barry_buchanan/2008%20Modifications/DSC00018.jpg

This picture is a closeup from the side.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg216/barry_buchanan/2008%20Modifications/DSC00016.jpg

Most of the materials I purchased from Home Depot. The ends of the pipe are hosting SV-650 bar end sliders that I purchased on Ebay.

I can write up a "how to" with measurements and post it in the modifications section if people are interested. The crash guards are SW-Motech.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts